Ford replaced MS-CAN with HS2-CAN on DLC

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
EricCBoston
Vehicle: Ford Fusion, Hybrid 2.0L, 2015

Ford replaced MS-CAN with HS2-CAN on DLC

Post by EricCBoston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello,

I bought a OBDLink MX Bluetooth several months ago. The Forscan software works great with my old 2006 Ford Fusion and will pick up the modules on both HS-CAN and MS-CAN. Thanks for developing a neat program.

I bought a new 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid last month. I also buy the Service Information when I buy a car. I noticed the Forscan software does not list many modules. It does not find the ABS module, for example.

I looked at the wiring diagrams showing module communications. The car has three HS-CAN buses and one MS-CAN bus. A gateway module is used to interconnect the buses. There are a lot of modules! The MS-CAN bus is replaced by HS2-CAN bus on the DLC. Here is the pinout for the DLC:
Pin Name
3 HS2 CAN +
4 Chass Gnd
5 Sig Gnd
6 HS1 CAN +
11 HS2 CAN -
14 HS1 CAN -
16 VBAT
I do not know if this implementation is only used on the Ford Hybrid and Ford Plugin Hybrid.

I was able to access the HS2-CAN bus by using a terminal program to set the correct MS-CAN Protocol Preset on the OBDLink MX, then using the STPBR 500000 command to change to the faster baud rate. I was able to see data on the HS2-CAN bus using the terminal program.

According to the Ford service information, the gateway module handles communications between a diagnostic device connected to the DLC and HS3-CAN/MS-CAN buses. So supporting the HS2-CAN bus will let me see all the modules with Forscan.

I am suggesting Ford HS2-CAN support as a future feature of the software. I am willing to beta test.

Regards, Eric

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Ford replaced MS-CAN with HS2-CAN on DLC

Post by FORScan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:11 am

Wow....

Can you please send us FORScan internal logs from your vehicle? We are very interested to look at it. Please do not post in Forum, use PM or email.

Procedure is described on Contact Us page, our email is there as well. Shortly (for Windows):

1. Windows Start button -> All Programs->FORScan-> find FORScan Log folder item and open it.

In Windows 8/8.1 - find FORScan group, find FORScan Log folder in there, open it

2. Pack all files in that folder (at least dump.bin and FORScan.log) to an archive

3. Send the archive to us using PM or email.

Thank you in advance.

PS: And yes, after this feature is implemented, we will need your help as a beta-tester...

satria_wr
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Ecosport 1.5L Ti-VCT 110hp

Post by satria_wr » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:44 am

No wonder they updated the IDS rapidly in the past week,...
2014 Ford Ecosport Titanium
1.5 Ti-VCT Sigma (Remapped using PCMFlash)
PowerShift
2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Limited
2.4 4N15 DiD (Remapped using New Genius)
8-A/T

simonvf400
Vehicle: Mazda2 1.6 2003

Post by simonvf400 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Could you tel me what make of elm reader you have got?
Also where did you get it from?
I am having trouble connecting to my Mazda2 which is the same as your Fusion.
Thanks

rafiozo1
Vehicle: Citroen Xantia

Post by rafiozo1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 pm

American Ford Fusion is the European Ford Mondeo

civil-zz
Vehicle: Ford Focus

Post by civil-zz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 am

Just to note - HS3-CAN and MS-CAN can be accessed directly via the 4-pin square connector taped to the GWM harness branch behind the GWM (approx. 20cm far from GWM)
Pinout is next:
1 - HS3-CAN +
2 - HS3-CAN -
3 - MS-CAN +
4 - MS-CAN -

Also there is a Ford DLC standart exist to supply all 4 buses (Ford has a service jumper to join the "normal" DLC and this 4-pin connector to this "full" DLC). it has the next pinout:
1 - HS3-CAN +
3 - MS-CAN +
4 - Chass Gnd
5 - Sig Gnd
6 - HS1 CAN +
8 - HS2-CAN +
9 - HS3-CAN -
11 - MS-CAN -
12 - HS2-CAN -
14 - HS1 CAN -
16 - VBAT

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 am

To be honest, we don't quite understand the objective of this discussion, as FORScan does support HS2/HS3 CAN starting from v2.2.4 beta, released in May 2015 (adapter with MS-CAN support is necessary, also it will work only in with Ford DLC in "normal" mode).
HS2_3_CAN.png
HS2_3_CAN.png (103.54 KiB) Viewed 17028 times
If anyone has any problems with support HS2/H3 CAN in FORScan, please let us know.

fusioneer
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV (2.0L)

Post by fusioneer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:59 am

I'm using the OHP FTDI hardware and have tried with athe switch in both positions. What is the correct configuration in FORScan to read all modules on HS2 (pins 3 and 11) on DLC with the OHP FTDI dongle?

Samistine
Vehicle: Ford C-Max 2015 Energi

Post by Samistine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:20 pm

After connecting to my Ford C-Max energi/hybrid I am unable to get the HSCan2 and HSCan3. I only manage to get HSCan and MSCan. Neither of these have the SCCM on them. The BdyCM also is missing a ton of memory positions.

Samistine
Vehicle: Ford C-Max 2015 Energi

Post by Samistine » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 am

Looks like my car uses central configuration. I have a windows XP virtual machine with the OBD reader on passthrough.
I click on BdyCM Central Configuration, my dash and infotainment screen reboot (pretty much the whole car).

Loading SBL to Primary Module
Loading Block 1/6
[ Car reboots ]
Operation Failed, retrying.

What should I try doing next?

OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device:
https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfig-co ... B01F0GVBWY

*Moving this to new thread*