FORScan adapter recommendations?

Any issues related to FORScan application
tutu10
Vehicle: Mazda 3 Facelift Sedan 2018

FORScan adapter recommendations?

Post by tutu10 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

In all of these recent issues and regen discussions, I keep seeing mentions of the FORscan tool that has piqued my interest and got me investigating:
-> My daily commute is around 20 minutes of moderate stop/go traffic
=> I'm probably not making thru full regen ever (except for trips to Boston for my daughter)
==> Only way I can tell is by using a tool like FORScan?
= Me thinks it time for me to get FORScan-enabled

I only have Apple iOS phone (iPhone 6S) and tablet (iPad Pro) and it looks like there are some compatibility issues/problems for these devices.

ForScan Lite app in the Apple AppStore specifically requires:
- OBDLink MX+ (recommended)
- ELM327 WiFi or other ELM327 compatible WiFi adapter
- Kiwi 3 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Looking out on Amazon, I see the following options for ODBLink adapter made by ScanTool:
- ODBLink LX
- ODBLink MX
- ODBLink MX WiFi
- ODBLink MX+

I would think that the ODBLink MX WiFi version would be the end-all solution and work with the in-vehicle hot-spot, but I noticed a couple things:
1.) It is not sold by the same ScanTool storefront as the other adapters
2.) Mentions of a Kickstarter genesis in the Amazon customer reviews
3.) Mix of ecstatic or pissed-off customers (seems to either work or not work) in the Amazon customer reviews

Looks like I should stay away from the ODBLink MX WiFi adapter based on the Amazon reviews

For those of your F150 Diesel owners currently using FORScan, what combination of adapter and iOS application works without any issues?

Looking for any recommendations to avoid the hassle of buying something that doesn't work 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance.
Mikiko

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: FORScan adapter recommendations?

Post by denbo » Fri May 17, 2019 3:48 pm

For anyone reading this, if you look to the top left of the screen you see a "board index". This opens more sub sections, including "Adapters". This may aid you getting a reply faster to help resolve your unique problem. It saves you time and stops the general section getting clogged. It took me some time to find it and it has really helped.

WALK3R
Vehicle: Ford Trasit 2012

Post by WALK3R » Sat May 18, 2019 12:27 am

IMO avoid using the APP on your IOS device since they're kinda limited, stick with the windows EL version and a USB device thats been tested, not the cheapest one on amazon that claims to work. The device I use, with genuine chips and build in Poland

Mareng
Vehicle: Mazda 6 Diesel, 2.2, 2014, Britain

Post by Mareng » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 pm

I see you have a Mazda 3, mines a Mazda 6 and I use a Tacklife adaptor on Wifi to my Samsung Tablet and it works fine. Not tried the Service functions yet though.