Forscan, and IDS, newb question

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
forscanbobo
Vehicle: 2015 ford fusion hybrid SE

Forscan, and IDS, newb question

Post by forscanbobo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 am

Okay. I found a guy online that does reprogramming using IDS. I mentioned Forscan in one of my emails to him, and he said he could not discuss it because it's not legal software. I was unaware Forscan was a hacker thing. Not that I necessarily have a problem with hacker things! lol!

So, DanMC85s article about the line level speaker outs for the fusions didn't work for me, as I have a hybrid, and apparently the hex values are different for that model. So this guy says he can, for 35 bucks, provide me with a file that would fix my problem. However, I'm assuming that file is a file for IDS since this guy said he couldn't discuss forscan.

So, this begs the question, would this file work with forscan? I really don't even need a 'file' per se do I? All I really need is to know the hex value that needs to be entered right?

Anything anyone could share would be most appreciated.

forscanbobo

Re: Forscan, and IDS, newb question

Post by forscanbobo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Oh well. My Alpine head unit sounds just wonderful as is. I guess that's what I'll settle with. It certainly beats buying things here and there and dragging on and on and never getting anything accomplished. It's clear this shit is outside of my wheelhose, and I can't even formulate a question in the correct way apparently. I'll stick with the Alpine so as not to fuck something up.

gg1234635
Vehicle: mondeo, 2.0 180, 2016

Post by gg1234635 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 pm

No point having a go at this forum. We all have our on skills base and knowledge and we all have jobs so might not be as quick as you would if you were dealing with a company directly.
Forscan is free with purchase options and that you must remember it is free!!
Hybrid fords do have alot more systems and different settings above and beyond the standard car so it may take some time for someone with that knowledge to get back to you.
Without knowing what file type this file you are being offered for $35, its hard to know if it will work with forscan or not.

I suggest you look further in this forum and others out there including g2fusions.net to find your answer. If you really do not like this piece of software i suggest you leave this forum for those that do enjoy using it and helping others as well.

lenko
Vehicle: 2015 Lincoln MKC, 2.0 Ecoboost

Post by lenko » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Hardly think that a file for IDS would work with Forscan, but I could be wrong. Why take a chance for $ 35.00. For $ 35.00 he should be able to fix your problem himself if he is so sure of charging your for "a file".

kastanza
Vehicle: Tonka Truk

Post by kastanza » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:23 am

I think the guy is feeding you BS because he wants your money. I'm pretty sure I know the guy you are talking about (he lives like 40 miles from me). Seems alot of the guys that pay for IDS are pretty proud of it and use every chance they can to "brag" about how they pay to use IDS, and seem to honestly feel threatened by the feature set Forscan is starting to have. It'd be different if you had to be in a super elite club to access the software, but anyone can buy a license with a valid credit card. Most of the "files" and "mods" the few people I have seen on the internet selling is now public info thanks to much of the hard work on various forums.

If the guy is so sure he can give you the correct info, tell him you just want the AsBuilt values outside of the file. If he won't do that and you decide the buy the file, you can probably just open it in Notepad or similar program and pick the values out. With that being said, I have not done that myself so don't blame me if it doesn't work.

forscanbobo

Post by forscanbobo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna take ya'lls advice and keep my money. By the way, didn't want to give anyone the impression that I DON'T LIKE Forscan. If Ford sold their stuff for a REASONABLE price, then they probably wouldn't have to worry about someone knocking off their software!

One question though. Where do you think HE would be getting the info? Is there a service manual somewhere for my specific model that goes into detail about what these hex values are? It would seem like THAT would be the thing I wanted to get my hands on! lol

kastanza
Vehicle: Tonka Truk

Post by kastanza » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Yes, there is a software out there that has options listed out to an extent. It requires purchasing the vendors own adapter and is not cheap, but works very well.