2003 Escape Starting Problem & Problem Detection Strategy?

Share your FORScan experience with other users
ham_op
Vehicle: Ford, Escape XLT, 3.0L DOHC V6 DuraTec, 2003

2003 Escape Starting Problem & Problem Detection Strategy?

Post by ham_op » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:59 am

Hi,

I'm researching strategies for detecting a malfunction condition using the ELMconfig/ForScan combination. My 16yro Escape infrequently will not start and run. I have an OBD-II diagnostic tool which does not reveal any DTCs when the problem occurs. The characteristics of the malfunction is that the car starts and runs ok for days, and then I'll be out driving somewhere and then the car will turn over and starts to run but behaves as though it is only firing on three or four cyclinders or that it has a timing problem. The engine will not remain running. After some period of time, generally six or more hours the ignition resumes 'normal' operation. But the OBD-II tool reveals no codes.

My guess is that the malfunction is being caused by a degraded componed that has not actually failed which is marginally within operational limits but perhaps all the components (eg sensors, etc) are also marginally within limits, but collectively is causing intermittent malfunction.

The question is, is it likely that can this tool combination may detect the cause? I understand that one's skill set competence is also necessary.

The tool I'm considering purchasing is available via Amazon Itm Nr: B01F0GVBWY (enter into search field) and of course the ForScan program.

My readout system is an HP LapTop running Win7.

Thanks in advance
Ham_Op

ham_op

Re: 2003 Escape Starting Problem & Problem Detection Strategy?

Post by ham_op » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Another point, need I keep the USB and LapTop connected while driving around logging data in the hope of catching the condition that causes the problem? Or does **ONLY** the OHP ELMconfig device need be connected?

Which device, eg, LapTop or ELMconfig stores the data, how much continual data may be logged before it over-runs?

Surely some one here knows these answers to these questions?

Thanks in advance

mobile Ham Operator

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Post by Andyfocus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

yes you have to keep laptop connected to read the data ,
how big depends on big your hard drive is ,
the elm gets the data reads it and stores it on your laptop.
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .

ham_op

Post by ham_op » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for the informative reply. I would have liked to hear some opinions regarding tracking down the Escape starting problem, but some is better than none...

Another point, will ForScan run on earlier operating systems? I have a nice 14,5cm/10inch notebook that's loaded with some flavor of Linux, and I absolutely refuse to upgrade to anything higher than Win7 as I can not endure all the backdoors, tracking beacons, government spyholes, all for the glory and greed of McNazi$oft. They wiped out the third party compiler industry using cheesy business practices and now they ARE a monopoly. So where is that corrupt FTC? So here's the problem, one can not activate new WinXP, I am unwilling to spend $150 for Win7, my eyes aren't too young so squinting at a 12,7cm/5inch android screen isn't my cup-of-tea and ForScan does not run in Linux, so what's left?

WinME, Win98 (yech!) and Win95. Does any version of ForScan run in those OS?

ForScan as far as I can determine is likely the only OBD-II/CAN scanner/configurator that likely will reveal the problem I am seeing with my 2003 Ford Escape. Its the best choice and for the money too. The stand-alone hand scanner are not even in the same ball-park, unless one acquire's a dealership type tool that co$t $5Gs.

Thanks in advance

ham_op

Juice
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang, Coyote, MagnumXL 6spd, 404RWHP/393TQ

Post by Juice » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:58 pm

ham_op wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 pm
..................... one can not activate new WinXP, I am unwilling to spend $150 for Win7, my eyes aren't too young so squinting at a 12,7cm/5inch android screen isn't my cup-of-tea and ForScan does not run in Linux, so what's left?...............

ham_op
Why can't you activate XP? I just rebuilt an old XP machine after hdd failure and reinstalled XP, entered the product key, Done. (its for older games :) )

Oh btw, Win7 has most of the "back doors" you mentioned that are in W8 & W10, but can (and should be) removed/disabled.

I can't help you much with your starting issue as there just isn't enough info. My first instinct was a possible crank and/or cam sensor failing, as that is a sensor that can fail in a way that will not leave a DTC. Monitoring ignition timing at the time of the issue present may be an indicator of a crank sensor issue. Cam sensor is not as likely, as that should set at least a cam timing issue even if it doesn't set a cam sensor fault DTC.

Fuel pressure/fuel pump is also possible, but the symptoms do not really fit a failing fuel pump.

ham_op

Post by ham_op » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:26 am

Juice, et al,

Thanks for the tips re; starting problems. I know its not much information to 'guess-about', I'm an engineer and I do not care to guess at anything, but I'm left at this juncture with virtually no options. Each time the car has failed to start I was somewhere else, such as at the shopping mall parking lot or at my Dr's orfice, etc. While I do carry a few tools, I don't carry a mechanic's shop around in the car. I have begun to carry an OBD-II scanner but at each failure to start, the scanner has not revealed any codes?!? The idea that I could crawl under to access the crank sensor or where ever it might be located in a busy parking lot or pull the plastic motor cover off to see if there is a spark with what? A high-Voltage probe or holding the spark cap close to ground. I have it towed and 12 hours later it starts and seems to run properly. It cranks, and sometimes it chugs like its failing to fire on 2 or 3 plugs. Each time its in the repair shop they have no clue as it starts properly. The problem is driving me nuts.

Re; WinXP. How did you get past the reactivation process of connecting to the InterNet?

I have found info where one may backup the c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK files **AFTER** proper activation and then when rebuilding an XP system such as recovering after HD crash, one renames and backs-up the pre-Activation WPA.DBL file to WPA.DBL.UNACTIVATED and the WPA.BAK.UNACTIVATED and then copying the previously activated WPA.DBL & .BAK files into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ directories. Reboots system thereby bypassing the activation process. The M$ WinXP activation phone number and InterNet activation numbers are not in-service. When I initially posted here I had as yet to learn of this WinXP activation strategy.

In any case thanks for the reply.

ham_op

Narly1
Vehicle: F150 STX 3.7L 2013

Post by Narly1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:17 am

Just a random thought, have you posted your issue on any of the Escape-specific forums?

And I'd be looking at ignition coils. We have a 2007 Escape that has had 3 out of the 6 replaced...

Juice
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang, Coyote, MagnumXL 6spd, 404RWHP/393TQ

Post by Juice » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am

When it fails to start, I would just bring up Forscan live data and monitor: engine RPMs. If you see a reading of Zero while cranking, it would be a good chance of an issue with the crank sensor. If you can read the fuel pressure sensor with Forscan, that is something I would look at too. I would be a good idea to look at what kind of reading is "good" on those when the car is running normally.

As for installing XP, I didn't even connect to the internet with it. When the installation finished loading and the pc rebooted, I just entered my product key when promted. I have installed XP probably a dozen times or more and I don't think I ever needed to be connected to the internet.