2018 EcoSport, ForScan, and new FDRS protocol

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
CodeMusic
Vehicle: 2018 EcoSport SE 2.0L Engine Upgrade

2018 EcoSport, ForScan, and new FDRS protocol

Post by CodeMusic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 am

Hi there,
After extensive searching I found some people were able to read and program certain modules using the existing ForScan software.

I just bought and ELM327 and I heard some people had some limited success with this, but a VCM II device is what FDRS is meant to work with.

Can we use this thread for the new wave of FDRS based systems.
What you have been able to do with ForScan (read/write) and which modules seem to produce success. Along with this please include your adapter type.

I know some will say FDRS is cloud and only a Ford Tech can do it, which is true in one respect. The software and logging in has moved to the cloud. But if we know the signals this is still doable on our end.

Some say it’s a whole new protocol (I.e. new ForScan version), but some have also had reading and certain module reprogramming success.

Can you post what success you have experienced, difficulties encountered, and the adapter in which you used.

Thanks everyone!
We will have this sorted out in time!

Thanks again,
Christopher

EDIT:
My main goal is to get the Climate button to show in my Sync3 dash.
Also, does anyone know with certainty how using ForScan affects your vehicles warranty?

EcoHell
Vehicle: Explorer Sport, V6 Twin Turbo/365hp, 2018

Re: 2018 EcoSport, ForScan, and new FDRS protocol

Post by EcoHell » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 am

First time posting... the reason why I am posting here is due to your goal, where you want the Climate in your dash. I just did that last night with ForScan. That feature can be activated within the IPC Type 2 module. I also did the Global Open/Close feature as well. I did run into issue and will start a thread on it shortly.

I don't believe ForScan affects your warranty. ForScan is like VAG-COM for Audi/Porsche/VW and other manufacturers under the Volkwagen Auto Group. All you are doing is activating or deactivating features on your vehicle. Audi never knew about my use of VAG-COM, as it does not throw any codes, which I believe ForScan will act in the same manner.

CodeMusic

Post by CodeMusic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Oh wow, thank you.
- So, on a North American 2018 EcoSport you were able to enable climate in Sync3... using existing Explorer codes I imagine?

Attached is the adapter I bought. It’s an ELM327 modifies with the switch for the two different modes.
I have not plugged it in.... in fact, I was going to just return it until I saw your reply. I will take a look at your other thread too.

- Is this the type of adapter you used to program (mine is USB), or did you use something other than ELM327?

Your post excites me because I wrote off ForScan for now until a version supporting the 2018 EcoSport was out, but I saw another guy who said he was able to do some but not all stuff.

From your post it looks like you have done what I want to do.
The climate button works?, and I heard it allows for voice climate control too.

Sorry for all the questions bud, but your post has gotten me excited that I may be able to have this enabled on my vehicle after all.

Thanks and let me know,
I will check out your other post too.
Thanks again
Can’t wait to hear back from you.

Cheers 🙂
Christopher
Attachments
DE093D53-FBB1-430C-AD16-165BB57E186C.jpeg
DE093D53-FBB1-430C-AD16-165BB57E186C.jpeg (526.17 KiB) Viewed 155 times

adrianopery
Vehicle: Ford Ecosport 2018

Post by adrianopery » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm

I bought the same OBD connector and I´m using on my Ford Ecosport 2018 in Brazil.
I could only update the SYNC3 theme and add the climate on the screen (Dual Zone). I tried to set as single zone, once my car doesn´t have dual zone but it doesn´t work.
I tried to change other options like "Reverse Tilt Mirrors" but the codes suggested to be changed are not available on Ford Ecosport list when you open with FORSCAN.

CodeMusic

Post by CodeMusic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Ok, so you gave me enough courage to plug it in,
And it did scan the modules.

I used the explorer codes on my ecosport but got this message when I tried to write... I aborted to be safe and thought I’d check-in.

What values did you use to activate climate in Sync3?

Thanks Mate.

PS: attached is the check-sum messsage I received.

I had tried changing 7D0-01-01,

Following ‘https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... g/htmlview#’

7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx x?xx

I tried values 9, and 3 but both gave the checksum warning so I stopped.

What values did you have luck changing?

Thanks!
Attachments
7C1BD8B6-D7C7-4803-A07B-4D7B7319FFF3.jpeg
7C1BD8B6-D7C7-4803-A07B-4D7B7319FFF3.jpeg (546.06 KiB) Viewed 95 times

CodeMusic

Post by CodeMusic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:53 pm

So, I realized that was an ok message.
It just would recalc the check-sums (last two digits).

I tried, 3, 5, and E in that place holder and none for me gave Climate. I did get heated seats in the home screen and it worked (that was with a 3), 5 gave heated and ac seats, and E gave both plus a heated steering wheel button, but no ‘Climate’ tab.

I ended up reverting to my backup to be safe.

Setting of 3 worked and controlled my heated seats... but I really want the climate tab and voice controls.

I was using the Expedition’s codes.
Maybe EcoSport 2018 has its own differing codes.

Just curious what did you change to get the ‘Climate’ tab?

It was cool that reading and writing APIM worked! But, now I gotta figure out what does what.

Back to research mode.