Steering angle sensor fault

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
sgc3000000
Vehicle: Focus Titanium X 2015

Steering angle sensor fault

Post by sgc3000000 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I recently removed my steering wheel, clock spring and associated assembly including the steering angle sensor. This was to install a heated steering wheel which it turned out was damaged and so I had no choice but to reinstall the original.

Upon reassembling all and reconnecting the battery I was greeted by the 'Hill start assist not available' error message closely followed by the 'active city stop not available.

I made sure the clock spring did not rotate when it was removed and that all components were removed carefully without damage and then reassembled.

I thought, 'its ok I will just clear those on forscan and that will be that' this worked initially but then I drove a few feet and once I turned the wheel so far the system once again presented those same error messages.

The DTC is throwing the following codes:

SASM C1B00:85-2F - Steering angle signal above allowable range
ABS U0126:00-28
ABS C0051:96-2B
RCM B001:1A-AF
HCM U0428:00-0B
PSCM U0428:00-0A

Thank you for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Wiseguytaz
Vehicle: Ford edge sel 2007 3.5l v6 awd

Re: Steering angle sensor fault

Post by Wiseguytaz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:31 am

Does the extended license for your car have any relearn/initialization service for abs module sasm lat/long roll rate sensor calibration or anything...I've seen ppl do what u did without having to recalibrate but new cars you might have to no matter what and sometimes clearing certain dtc codes especially u codes means you have to recalibrate ...maybe it just needs to learn while driving since battery was disconnected but I'd bet you'll need to do abs esc relearn/initialization...I ve researched for days on mine last week...dead battery while driving..I turned steering wheel while it was dead...deleted u codes...had the worst esc problems...pids for esc sensors current cycle initialization test failed...alignment shops should be doing it by now but mine couldnt...delearship 90$ if u have to..does service manual say anything about repairing it and needing recalibration or deleting certain codes means u have to

Wiseguytaz
Vehicle: Ford edge sel 2007 3.5l v6 awd

Post by Wiseguytaz » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am

Ya you ll need to recalibrate if sensor moved which usually throws off all those other codes.. is steering angle sensor (abs)pid reading 0 when straight...do u have another pid sensor in sasm... some cars learn the 0 position after turning wheel all the way left then right then center so maybe it'll go away unless... esc traction control abs light is on which means reset is needed

sgc3000000
Vehicle: Focus Titanium X 2015

Post by sgc3000000 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 am

I have tried resetting and recalibrating everything and still no joy. I taped the clock spring when I removed the steering wheel ao it hasn’t moved, I also checked all connections.

Is there a possibility the sensor has moved slightly as all works normal when I reset until I move the wheel past half a turn anti-clockwise.