FORScan crashing / ELM not found, other errors

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
CSmithFX4
Vehicle: F150, 2.7 Ecoboost, 2015

FORScan crashing / ELM not found, other errors

Post by CSmithFX4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Hello All, I used FORScan a couple of months ago to active the Nav on my Sync 2, so I know it works. Went out today to activate my trailer brakes and do a few other items I have found that I want while I was at it. I noticed that their was a newer version of FORScan 2.3.16 and downloaded it before i went to the garage. Unfortunately I can't complete my task. I updated all of the drivers for the ELM just to be sure. I am having multiple different issues trying to connect. I have gone so far as to delete and reinstall FORScan and the ELM drivers but it still wont connect. I have tried multiple USB ports on my laptop to be sure I didn't have a USB going bad. I'm stumped! Any help appreciated.

These are the problems i am running into.

1) NO ELM detected. This is the most common problem I am seeing. sometimes it will, sometimes it wont.
2) ELM detected, no vehicle detected
3) ELM detected, Vehicle detected, started loading modules, then FORScan crashes
4) on one attempt I got ELM detected, vehicle detected, then an error message saying vehicle profile not found contact FORScan administrators.

Running Windows 10 with USB adapter. This is the adapter I have. www.ebay.com/itm/232267161904

f-wolf
Vehicle: Ford XR6 Turbo BA MK II 6 Speed Manual

Re: FORScan crashing / ELM not found, other errors

Post by f-wolf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 pm

See if this will help you

(If ELM327 USB isn't setup properly as per instructions below — then OBD software will not even detect the cable — let alone connect to the vehicle.)

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/supp ... 2-software

CSmithFX4
Vehicle: F150, 2.7 Ecoboost, 2015

Post by CSmithFX4 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I tried adding all those other drivers but it didn't help. I can hook everything up to the truck and it will connect the start to read the vehicle information and get about 3 or 4 modules loaded and the stops and says no elm found, then every time I try to connect is says no ELM found. I can go back in the house for about an hour and repeat this same process but never fully connect. It seems to take about 5 minutes of just sitting there before it stops.

I have NO error message in Device Manager. I have used this same adapter before until this last update from ForScan.

f-wolf
Vehicle: Ford XR6 Turbo BA MK II 6 Speed Manual

Post by f-wolf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm

Now we're getting somewhere !!

Re, ... I have used this same adapter before until this last update from ForScan.

Just uninstall ForScan ... and install the version before the one you got now !!

https://forscan.org/download.html

See if that fixes your problem