Coyote swap turning off functions

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Patman
Vehicle: 2018 F150 and [2003 F150 with 2015 Coyote]

Coyote swap turning off functions

Post by Patman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 pm

I've got a full donor 2015 F150 harness going into my 2003 F150

I need help turning off functions like ABS, SRS etc

Any chance the guy that did the spreadsheet is around?

Todd Ector
Vehicle: 2004 F150 XLT , 5.4 3v sohc 300hp

Re: Coyote swap turning off functions

Post by Todd Ector » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 am

Well to be honest that is the least of your problems with this swap, the 2015 electronics are much different than your 2003.

Short of doing a standalone engine computer you will need to use not only the ECU (PCM) along with the instrument cluster, Body Control module and matching ignition keys in order for the the engine to start and run.

Your 2003 has no CANBUS networks, the 2015 uses HS1, HS2 and HS3 along with the MSCAN, all of which needs to be working or bypassed with a custom ECU program to get it up and running.

When I looked into this as a option for my 2004 I discovered that while entirely possible it simply wasn't worth all the effort and cost to make it work, I was working with the wiring diagrams for a 2011-2013 F150 to avoid the multiple HSCAN bus requirement, you still need HSCAN at minimum to make that work.

Another issue is the fact that the 2015 uses electronic/electrical power steering rack, there are kits out there to work around that issue. I know of a few swaps that they added the hydraulic power steering pump to the engine so that's not a show stopper but the lack of HSCAN functionality in the vehicle will make it more difficult though.

Patman

Post by Patman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Yea I've got all the handled, I've spent about 30 hours thinning out the factory harness, and retested it several times. I'm over 100 hours into the conversion project

I have from the donor vehicle Cluster, BJB, PCM, BCM, TCM, and EPAS, keys, gas tank and harnesses

I'm just trying to figure out if I can delete CAN searching for ABS and SRS type functions that no longer exist on the donor swap, and then subsequent U-xxxx fault codes for no communication and then triggering warning lights in the cluster

Patman

Post by Patman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Bump

Juice
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang, Coyote, MagnumXL 6spd, 404RWHP/393TQ

Post by Juice » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 pm

My swap is in a mustang, so it's a bit different than yours. But I maybe able to offer some help. There are two ways to get around PATS without having it functioning. There are serveral ppl offering a PATS delete service. You have to send them your PCM, and they flash it to delete pats. This service I've seen costing up to $250, search Ebay. I'm not familiar with the trucks and where the PATS module is located, but I've read ppl using the truck PCM in mustangs. From what I read, the hardware is the same and only the flash is different.

The second option is to run the "Coyote Control pack" strategy from Ford. This is what my tuner did for me, and then we tuned my car on his dyno. This strategy does not support cruise control or emissions just so you know. The last option to get around PATS is to actually get it working. I've got this in the process so I can have cruise and be able to pass smog..but that is another story.

As far as missing modules, I may have some good news for you. Ford PCMs don't care if modules are missing. I don't have ABS and I don't have any warning lights about it. I think if you do a "PCM reset all adaptations", the first time you fire it up, the PCM will learn what modules are there, and that will be it. But this is a guess on my part, as I have no first hand experience.

Patman

Post by Patman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:18 am

PATS is not an issue, currently operational as a factory setup

I was able to delete some of the warning lights last time I played with it.

I believe traction control has been defeated, just working on SRS and ABS at this point.

Unfortunately I'm kinda in "uncharted" territory because deleting ABS and SRS isnt something that 99.9% of Forscan users are going to alter

Juice
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang, Coyote, MagnumXL 6spd, 404RWHP/393TQ

Post by Juice » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

Patman wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:18 am
PATS is not an issue, currently operational as a factory setup

I was able to delete some of the warning lights last time I played with it.

I believe traction control has been defeated, just working on SRS and ABS at this point.

Unfortunately I'm kinda in "uncharted" territory because deleting ABS and SRS isnt something that 99.9% of Forscan users are going to alter
Gotcha! I do have some experience in that area too. I did a cluster swap to get 140 mph speedo, and I also have a 2013 cluster so I can have stock PATS and 160 mph speedo. (Got PATS working, but need additional wiring for fuel gauge.) I configured both clusters with Forscan to turn off traction control and ABS lights. It seems the warnings don't come from the PCM. I found everything I needed in the first line of "as-built" data of the instrument cluster. Just had to experiment till I found the right combo after saving the original data.