DFP particle filter static regeneration on Kuga MK1

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Uto
Vehicle: Ford Kuga MK1 2011

Re: DFP particle filter static regeneration on Kuga MK1

Post by Uto » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:05 am

Finally I had to get my car into service station, mainly cause I thought sensor was under warranty period. They said that in fact sensor was damaged, but they warned me that if it was not a factory fault, warranty did not cover it. Their explanation about why a sensor can break after just one year is when DFP is not regenerated properly pressure goes too high, and weakest piece is the sensor, so is the first thing that is affected, it's blown up, but that is not factory fault.

Now that I know how to perform regens, I hope a manual regen a month will do the trick and keep DFP clean. Also, even if the sensor gets damaged again, now I know where it is (I though it was deep under the car, but actually it is very accessible beside right beside the battery), I can even replace it myself.

Thanks for all your comments, and thanks to Forscan developers for this magnific software, I think even when I could not fix my problem this time, it will be helpful to avoid having same problem again.

stimpy88
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Mk4.5 - Diesel 2.0, 163, 2013

Post by stimpy88 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Glad to hear it is sorted out now.

I'm not sure that they could prove that the sensor was damaged by back pressure. I'm not even sure that's a real thing! I expect there is a grain of truth here, and that is you must try to keep the filter clean, and keeping a little eye on pressure levels and running a regen every month should help.

You should really get hold of some diesel additive, I expect you garage sells it. Try to get one which is aimed at people who drive diesels and do low mileage. They will reduce the temperature needed to perform a regen, and help keep the filter a little cleaner as a result.

Uto
Vehicle: Ford Kuga MK1 2011

Post by Uto » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to refloat this thread, but I'm the original poster and this is a second stage on same story :-)

For a while, three years according my previous post in the thread, I've managed to have my Kuga MK1 DFP working properly, by forcing a static regen every now and then (not every month but every or /3 months).

Sadly lately I'm running into problems again, as Forscan is showing an error saying the "DFP sensor pressure value is intermitent or in unexpected range". I belive the sensor itself may have got damaged. If I clean the error with forscan, then I can perform a static regen, but last try failed after 45 minutes, whith a message about "regen took too long". Of course, that "out of range" error may also mean DFP is too much dirt, but it's strange considering I did a full static regen in early July, just two months ago.

Is there a way to determine if the sensor is damaged apart of replacing it? If not, is there any website were to buy a compatible DFP sensor for Kuga MK1 or I'd have to go to Ford service to buy that part?

Thanks in advance.

stimpy88
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Mk4.5 - Diesel 2.0, 163, 2013

Post by stimpy88 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Sorry to hear that your having problems again.

From my own experience with this sensor, I would not rule out ash in the tubes that go to and from the sensor. If you have access to under the car, and also have access to high pressure air hose, I would try cleaning the sensor and the hoses out, carefully.

I had my garage cut out the cat, just so it could be easier to remove and check in the future. This could be something you could consider.

Forscan is terrible at performing a regen, as in, it’s great when it just works, but very often it just stops with some took too long crap, and no meaningful error message that points you to anything, and no code to pull from the PCM...

Does your sensor register any pressure when the engine is off?