Bad OBD unit or grey-market APIM?

Any issues related to FORScan application
gpjacobs
Vehicle: 2017 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Bad OBD unit or grey-market APIM?

Post by gpjacobs » Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi all, I have an issue trying to use Forscan to perform a few mods, I've narrowed it down to two possible root causes and I was hoping to get some opinions out there as to what you think it is.

I added navigation to my '17 Fusion Titanium Hybrid by purchasing an aftermarket APIM on the 'bay. It works a treat but I wanted to get Nav data on the right-side instrument cluster. I did my research, found the right block to modify, purchased a VINT TT5502 USB ODB device and attempted to make the change but I could not read any of the MS CAN modules. It paused and let me manually change from HS to MS but it went right to offering to save the configuration while reading no MS CAN modules.

One extra bit of data, I attempted to make a change to an HS CAN module, to add heated seats to the touchscreen, and though it moved the phone data up a bit to accommodate the new data, it did not display the heated seats settings.

So my question is, what is more likely? That it's a bad OBD unit, or that the grey-market APIM is somehow un-readable at MS CAN setting? Or a third thing I haven't considered? Any advice, speculation, hell even downright lies might help at this point. Thanks in advance.

Don Ridley
Vehicle: 2016 Transit Connect

Re: Bad OBD unit or grey-market APIM?

Post by Don Ridley » Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm

If you can't read any MS CAN modules, your adapter is suspect. Many have found cheap adapters that seem to work. Others have purchased OBDLink adapters to avoid the problem you are experiencing and as a hedge against something going terribly wrong.

gpjacobs
Vehicle: 2017 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Post by gpjacobs » Sun May 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Followup: purchased and installed OBDLink EX. Connected to car successfully 1st time. Made change successfully. Subsequent attempts to connect to the MS CAN modules were unsuccessful but I got navigation on my instrument panel which was what I wanted. Still unable to get heated seat controls on home screen - perhaps because it's different in Sync 3.4? Unknown at this point but a challenge for another day. Thanks and Happy Memorial Day to my American friends.

Don Ridley
Vehicle: 2016 Transit Connect

Post by Don Ridley » Mon May 25, 2020 12:29 am

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you get things working. If you have subsequent problems connecting, try creating a new vehicle profile.