Ford fusion hybrid battery balance

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Mazin83j
Vehicle: Fusion, Hybrid , 2500cc/190hp , 2010

Ford fusion hybrid battery balance

Post by Mazin83j » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Can anyone explain what is the job for BECM module configure , if there is a manual for each option .
My car is ffh 2010,

MkZephyr
Vehicle: 2011 Lincoln MkZ Hybrid

Re: Ford fusion hybrid battery balance

Post by MkZephyr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 am

What do you mean by that?
Are you talking about Normalizing mode? Or did your hybrid stopped working and running the ICE almost constantly and the HVB would fully charge and stay full, as the electric function would never be utilized, because the green battery availability meter showed less than 1 bar of power?

SVSheric
Vehicle: Fusion, Hybrid, 2011

Re: Ford fusion hybrid battery age in BECM

Post by SVSheric » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:47 am

Our EV mode stopped working and Ford cannot fix it. Have read it may be the battery age parameter. Followed procedure found on line and using Forscan and OBD 11 interface changed it but no change in EV mode.
Am I doing something incorrectly?

ece1974
Vehicle: F150, 5.4 3V, 2010

Post by ece1974 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 pm

I just followed the fix posted, and car is like brand new, got 48.3 on the test drive

Planecrazy361
Vehicle: Mercury Milan Hybrid 2010

Post by Planecrazy361 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:24 pm

I just applied the same "fix" to my 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid (same as the Ford Fusion Hybrid) and after driving the car one block the system began working properly again!!! It astonishes me that Ford built an "end of life" timeframe into the battery packs without considering that the vast majority of battery packs would be performing perfectly at this age (10-years-old).

rdombro14
Vehicle: ford fusion hybrid

Post by rdombro14 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:56 pm

I have a 2010 fusion. After noticing the poor mileage, I thought that it could be the colder winter temperature, poor tire pressure, etc.; and on warm days it was just a little better. I'd noticed that the hybrid battery was getting well charged; but even with careful driving, the car would switch to the internal combustion engine with even a slightest acceleration.

I applied the age 1 year to the hybrid battery. WOW! It works like new. My mileage went up by about 7 miles per gallon. I only wish I'd done the fix earlier. Thank you previous posters for providing great instructions!

I was at the dealership to get the airbag recall installed. The techs there said that they had NEVER heard of this before and that they wouldn't do it. then they stated that I couldn't trust the internet and even if there were 50 posts on the subject that was still an incredibly small fraction of cars. I believe that they tested this fix on my car and drove it 9.7 miles to prove it to themselves. Of course, they never said a word about that. But come on why would you test drive a car 9.7 miles on a airbag recall? Could it really be that they just don't know? :roll:

stricescu
Vehicle: Ford Fusion Hybrid 2010

Post by stricescu » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 pm

I can not believe it worked! Just did the fix on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid with 97000km and it is like new!!!

At first I though it didn't because the car would still run the ICE as soon as I turned the key and then I realised: it's -5C outside, the heater was on! I remember that even when it was new it would do that in the winter to heat the ICE to be able to provide hot air inside. Took the car for a 15 minutes drive with the air blower off and OMG I have my hybride back: stop and go works, EV mode works.

I can not believe that Ford cripeld the Fusion Hybrids in this way ON PURPOSE! They could simply monitor the battery charge capacity NOT how many years have passed. They are worst than Apple! They should be sued for this!!!

A big THAK YOU to Forscan team and who posted the fix.

PS: If anyone needs this done in Montreal/Laval (Canada) I can help.

wbk
Vehicle: 2010 mercury milan hybrid

Post by wbk » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 pm

I have just finished the battery year 'fix' in my 2010 Mercury Milan (140,000 miles). WOW! The Hybrid mode started working immediately- just like day 1 when I purchased it. Thank you to whomever contributed to developing this fix. I'm disappointed that the Ford Motor Company has not publicly owned up to their error in the software. I will now have to consider going back to General Motors for my next purchase? :| :| :|

caruba
Vehicle: Focus MK4 2019 1.0 125PS

Post by caruba » Mon May 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi guys,
I'm no expert in Fusion or the configuration of the hybrid mode, but I'm an automotive engineer and I can tell you for sure that if there is a "age counter" in your battery controller it's a good reason it's there: the battery packs are aging in diferent conditions and after a long enough time has passed the charge capacity of the cell is decreasing - and the MOST important - the current capacity is decreasing. So if the battery has some years and you are disabling the age monitor, there is a slight chance the motor will "request" for a current bigger than your battery can hold - resulting in poor performance, DTCs etc - or in the worst case the battery pack can even fire up.
So proceed with caution while disabling this counter and maybe take into consideration other health parameters of your cell - if there is any accesible through forscan.
Regards!

wr400f250
Vehicle: Fusion, 2.5L Hybrid, 2010

Post by wr400f250 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 pm

I've been monitoring all of the PIDs on my battery since resetting the age, and I can confirm there is nothing out of the ordinary. I believe this was Ford trying to play it safe, as when the Fusion hybrid was released they hadn't really had long term results from hybrid vehicles.

There are definitely enough Fusion Hybrids on the road now with high mileage that IF resetting the age counter were an issue, we'd know by now. There are also enough protections in the battery that a worst case scenario like a fire is very unlikely. I say it's worth the risk, and if the battery does fail, it's not difficult at all to replace/rebuild it. Reasonably cheap too.