Instrument panel lighting 2019 F150

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
camobob
Vehicle: 2019 Ford f150 3.5l turbo

Instrument panel lighting 2019 F150

Post by camobob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:19 am

I'm a newbie here, first post. I just started with Forscan and did several of the common mods without much trouble.
Thanks to everyone who has taken all the time and been generous enough to share!
I found a quirk that's driving me crazy.
My 2019 F150 3.5l/10spd has the standard (not the 8") instrument panel and Sync 3.
When I put the headlight switch in the headlight off position (most CCW) the instrument panel and radio go to max brightness.
I've searched as many ways as I can think of and can't find a code that applies to this.
Why would the interior lights go supernova when I've manually selected "dark mode" on the outside?

Anybody know how I can correct this?

Thanks!

camobob

Re: Instrument panel lighting 2019 F150

Post by camobob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

I've been hunting through the service manual and found the following:

The networked switches and components are illuminated when the headlamp switch is in the PARK, ON, or AUTO
position. The system-wide illumination dimming level is determined by the BCM based on inputs from the ambient
light sensor and the dimmer switch (integral to the headlamp switch).
Elsewhere it says:
The illumination dimmer switch is a momentary contact switch, integral to the headlamp switch, providing a nonnetworked
input to the BCM. When the dimmer switch is pressed up for increased illumination intensity, and down
for decreased illumination intensity, a ground signal received by the BCM on the corresponding terminal is
interpreted as a request to increase or decrease the illumination intensity.

So the BCM is programmed to dim the lights in PARK, ON or AUTO and the BCM just sets everything to max in OFF?

Am I reading this right?

camobob

Re: Instrument panel lighting 2019 F150

Post by camobob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 pm

Police Dark Car mode fixed it.
For anyone who searches this, Dark car allowed me to set the dimmer with the headlight switch to off.
BCM is storing a separate dimmer setting just for this and returns to the normal setting in any other position.
No effect on entry lights on my vehicle - everything else worked as before.