02 F150 Cranks Won't Start, Shuts off at intersections

Share your FORScan experience with other users
MaresWrecks
Vehicle: 2002, Ford F150XLT, 4.6

02 F150 Cranks Won't Start, Shuts off at intersections

Post by MaresWrecks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:58 am

I purchased a 02 F150 4.6l v8 and paid to have it checked out before I purchased it, but find that maintenance facilities only look at the mechanical not the electrical and the owner did not share the information regarding the problems with this vehicle. Within a month the truck started stopping at intersections, not just stalling, actually stopping just like I shut off the key. No brakes and minimal steering and no warning. At first I could restart the vehicle then it would crank but not start. A friend helped me with what he knew and everything pointed to the fuel system which I pretty much replaced everything. The truck is not giving any codes except P1000. Then the truck started stalling at different intervals and would not start unless I used starting fluid. It has been like Russian roulette when I attempt to do anything with this vehicle. I have replaced most of the start circuit and have looked over the wiring and can find no obvious problems, this vehicle looks pretty much brand new, the factory tags are still on most of the wiring harnesses. From what I can determine someone before me attempted to trobleshoot this problem, which is frustrating as the individual who sold me this lemon knew it was an unsafe vehicle. The PCM was not secured to the truck, so I had to find parts at a junk yard to get the plastic clip to put it back where it belonged. The only other real faults I can see is the drivers seat warning light does not work all the time and the key switch does not emit the warning noise when the key is in. I am attempting to troubleshoot the vehicle with the Forscan software and not sure what to look at to even diagnose this problem. It is unsafe to drive as it will shut off for no reason when I slow down for a turn or stopping for a red light or stop sign. It was also acting like the transmission was missing a beat, which is why I replaced the VSS on the transmission and rear differential. I replaced the transmission filter and there were minimal filings on the magnet for a vehicle with 180k and the first filter change. Today it looked like the tach jumped up before the engine shut off at a red light so not sure what this means or if this is associated with the problem. I am a retired veteran and have done most of the maintenance on my vehicles over the years and this monster has me stumped. If you wonder why so many parts being replaced, well the labor charge for most mechanics is more than I make in a couple of days, so the parts are way cheaper. Can anyone assist with what to look for or what I need to monitor with my Forscan software or what to try and figure it out. When the truck is running it is as smooth as silk, plenty of power and no fluctuations when at idle, except when it quits running.

Replaced most of the evap system, Fuel Pump, Evaporative Emissions Purge Valve, Fuel Tank Pressure Valve, Evaporative Emissions Canister, Canister Vent Solenoid, Evaporative Emissions Return Tube, Fuel Cap, Fuel Filter and all the vacuum hose. VSS Sensor on the Transmission, VSS/ABS Sensor on the rear differential, Inertia Switch, PCM and Fuel pump Relay, and Backup/Neutral Safety Switch. Battery checked, alternator replaced along with the belt.

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: 02 F150 Cranks Won't Start, Shuts off at intersections

Post by denbo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Cant help you much with this as we dont see these in the UK. What i would start with is, "the answer will be in live data". Its a quote i often use. Select from the pids a few,like fuel pressure, ignition 12v, and look for the one that drops out at the time of the stall. Also check for un metered air, like a manifold leak, or vac leak. You might be lacking in tooling and know how. A good tech should have this nailed in a hour, so dont discount using a good shop. Mechanics need to eat too.

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Post by Andyfocus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 pm

i know it sounds stupid but have you checked the ignition barrel (internals maybe shot ) .
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .

twisterrescue
Vehicle: 2003escapeltd

Post by twisterrescue » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 am

sorry i do not have a wiring diagram .for your year f150 .but have seen a few where the underhood micro and mini relays .fail when they heat up swap the pcm power relay w/and unneeded relay like a/c or rear defroster .if the pcm relay is bad .the scan tool will not show a fault .as it thinks you turned the key off .just had a 2004 escape .owner told me he hated truck it was at 3 ford dealers and 2 outside shops for the same problem you have. I swapped the $13.00 rear defroster relay with the pcm relay .N/C told him drive it like ya stole it .he show,s up 3 weeks later tell,s. me truck is perfect .and hands me $50.00 gotta love it!

MaresWrecks
Vehicle: 2002, Ford F150XLT, 4.6

Post by MaresWrecks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:07 pm

I am suspecting the ignition may be part of the problem as I can guess the previous owner started and stopped the vehicle a lot for his business. The key in buzzer doesn't always sound and it's sometimes hard to turn. The question that nobody can answer me is if I replace ignition switch which had new keys can I use Forscan to do the pats programming. If I take it somewhere I'm going to have to pay for whatever parts they want to buy and not necessarily the same quality that I would be looking for. I'm also not sure how the key fob and the automatic door locks will play into this programming. There's just not enough information out to include the Ford manuals that I have. I definitely don't have the big bucks to buy the tool that Ford wants me to use to work on this piece of junk. I'm still upset with a man who sold it to me as he knew full well the problem with this truck. a tractor-trailer missed me by 6 inches the other day when I had to stop and shoot ether into the engine in order to get it started again. And yes I do understand that mechanics need to eat as well. You just have to look at it from a veteran's perspective. I wasn't allowed to go into battle, but we sure as heck don't get the pay that a mechanic gets to serve and be willing to risk our lives.

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Post by denbo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 am

As a veteran myself i feel your pain. If you use ether to start the engine, then its a fuel problem not electrical problem. A fuel pressure test would be the next thing to check. Also the fuel filter.

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Post by Andyfocus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:44 am

if you change the ignition , and have the flip keys just take them apart and swop the blades over , ( few tutorials online ) keeps the same internals no programming required .
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .