Known problems with china clones of ELM327

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Known problems with china clones of ELM327

Post by FORScan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:14 am

gammax wrote:hi. what about the fordscanner interface? this interface support ms can. i`m going to probe.
Can you please give a link to the product page?

gammax
Vehicle: ecosport 1.6 zetec rocam

Post by gammax » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:34 am

fred08155
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Turnier TDCI 96kW 2002

Post by fred08155 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

As far as i know this interface supports J1850 PWM and ISO9141 (K/L Line) only. No CAN at all.
Since it is not based on ELM327 it would not be easy to implement support for it in FORScan.
Maybe you are confusing it with interface F-Super 2 which is completely different and bases on ELM327 AFAIK.
If there´s a ELM327 inside it should work out of the box with FORScan.

FranMex
Vehicle: MAZDA CX-7 2.3T AWD

Post by FranMex » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 pm

I have a ELM327 Bluetooth clone, the big one with LED's, which I have modified for the MS Can access. I have also a small one that I have just basic tested.

I will talk about the first one. I bought this clone 2 years ago without knowing much of OBD adapter original vs clone, etc., and I don't mind buying something like OBDLink if this will give me full/better/more secure access to Forscan functions.

However, when I try the AT commands shown before in this discussion, all respond with OK or date (ELM327 V1.5). When I connect to car, Forscan says that the adapter is "good quality" and delay about 30ms.

It look like I was lucky buying a good clone, but should I trust this adapter and good into programming ?

(I live between Mexico and Europe and will buy my OBDLink in April)

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 am

The fact is that quality of adapters (sold via Ebay or AliExpress or other shops) is dropping together with their price. 5 years ago majority of adapters had quite high quality. 2 years ago the problem was notied first time. Today it is very hard to purchase "good clone".

FranMex

Post by FranMex » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Ok tx for the info. I will definitely buy a OBDLink adapter. I was thinkink to go for a USB one since I find the BT sometime unstable, but this is perhaps due to the clone quality. Do you advise WiFi OBDLink one ? Wifi being faster than BT, and Iphone compatible.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:00 am

FranMex wrote:Ok tx for the info. I will definitely buy a OBDLink adapter. I was thinkink to go for a USB one since I find the BT sometime unstable, but this is perhaps due to the clone quality. Do you advise WiFi OBDLink one ? Wifi being faster than BT, and Iphone compatible.
In fact we do not recommend WiFi, if there is a choice. Why? Because in real world conditions china WiFi adapters often have less reliable wireless channel and even slower than Bluetooth ones, not talking about USB. But in case of iOS with FORScan there is no choice yet, unfortunately. OBDLink MX WiFi good device, much better than any WiFi china ELM327 clone, but also more expensive,

FranMex

Post by FranMex » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:50 am

FORScan wrote:In fact we do not recommend WiFi, if there is a choice. Why? Because in real world conditions china WiFi adapters often have less reliable wireless channel and even slower than Bluetooth ones, not talking about USB. But in case of iOS with FORScan there is no choice yet, unfortunately. OBDLink MX WiFi good device, much better than any WiFi china ELM327 clone, but also more expensive,
Yes I read in other post that WiFi clone were bad, but in anyway I was going to buy another of these china clones, neither WiFi nor BT nor USB.

My bad experience with BT clones is that they sometime disconnect, sometime hanging some OBD programs because of the sudden loss of connection (need to end process in task manager), this is very annoying especially when driving the car for monitoring.

I was thinking to buy a USB good quality like OBDLink, OBDLink to be sure that I have a full original and compatible adapter, and USB to get rid of wireless problem. Now if you tell me that WiFi OBDLink has no issue, I will go for it since wireless is more practical in a work environment.

OBDLink is expensive compare to clone, but still cheap compare to labor hour cost of mechanics in dealers.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:00 am

FranMex wrote: I was thinking to buy a USB good quality like OBDLink, OBDLink to be sure that I have a full original and compatible adapter, and USB to get rid of wireless problem.
It actually depends on several things. First one is platform you use. If you prefer to use FORScan Lite for iOS, you can use only WiFi solution. Standard Bluetooth and USB adapters do not work with iOS. If you use FORScan Lite for Android, you can use Bluetooth, WiFi or USB, but USB has some limitations (only FTDI and Prolific ICs are supported, also it may be a problem to connect charging devices to your phone/tablet if it is designed to be charged via micro-USB socket that is used for USB device). Finally of you are OK about FORScan for Window, you can use any type of adapter.

It should be also counted that if your car has MS-CAN and you need it, OBDLink MX is the best choice, but the problem is that there is no OBDLink MX USB (only BT and WiFi). OBLInk SX is USB, but has no MS-CAN. 3rd party solutions, like ELS27 or Viaken STN1170 offer USB interface, but these have other problems (e.g. ELS27 was recently cloned by china guys, so now it hard to purchase original one).

FranMex

Post by FranMex » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks for all the details.

I'm using Forscan for windows and I'm very happy with it, and I'm will be using IOS and/or Android Lite version too, but more as a toy then a real tool.

Indeed my actual car (Mazda CX-7) has MS-Can and I was able to connect to it after modifying my ELM327 clone. I was able to connect to Amplifier and Automatic Temperature Control units. I'm also planning to by a new Mazda this year.

OBDLink MX will be the best choice for these cars, but I looking also to use it with other diag SW's for other cars, and it looks good for that too.