Program two new keys fiesta mk7

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
yariwes
Vehicle: Ford Fiesta mk7 1.6ti-vct

Program two new keys fiesta mk7

Post by yariwes »

Hello,

Last friday I lost my primary key for my ford fiesta mk7 1.6ti-vct from 2010. After searching for a bit I found my 2nd key (identical to first key) in a drawer but it wouldn't let me start the car as the immobiliser kicked in. A local garage told me the transponder must be dead since their computer couldn't identify it.

The ford dealer quoted me €250 for two new keys excluding programming and said it would take a while to have them delivered. Because of that I decided to try it myself and so I bought a new 4D63 transponder, and a completely new key (With the same transponder and remote). I plan to have the new key cut at a local store so that I would have two working keys. I wasn't looking forward to having to tow my car to the dealer and someone on the Ford Owners Club forum told me I should buy a cable and install Forscan to do it myself at home. This would only cost me €100 in total and I would get to keep the cable :D

However, in the instructions it says I need: ''At least one valid ignition key (master key) that is programmed by PATS, except when all the registered keys are erased from the PATS memory''

In my case I don't have a working transponder but the keyblade is still there, so I can turn on the ignition. So can I erase the registered keys and then add the two keys with the new transponders? Or do I need a programmed transponder to even access the PATS system to erase the lost and broken keys?

English is not my first language so it's probably just me that doesn't understand this part of the instructions.

Thanks in advance!
- Yari
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: Program two new keys fiesta mk7

Post by tractmec »

yariwes wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm
Hello,

Last friday I lost my primary key for my ford fiesta mk7 1.6ti-vct from 2010. After searching for a bit I found my 2nd key (identical to first key) in a drawer but it wouldn't let me start the car as the immobiliser kicked in. A local garage told me the transponder must be dead since their computer couldn't identify it.

The ford dealer quoted me €250 for two new keys excluding programming and said it would take a while to have them delivered. Because of that I decided to try it myself and so I bought a new 4D63 transponder, and a completely new key (With the same transponder and remote). I plan to have the new key cut at a local store so that I would have two working keys. I wasn't looking forward to having to tow my car to the dealer and someone on the Ford Owners Club forum told me I should buy a cable and install Forscan to do it myself at home. This would only cost me €100 in total and I would get to keep the cable :D

However, in the instructions it says I need: ''At least one valid ignition key (master key) that is programmed by PATS, except when all the registered keys are erased from the PATS memory''

In my case I don't have a working transponder but the keyblade is still there, so I can turn on the ignition. So can I erase the registered keys and then add the two keys with the new transponders? Or do I need a programmed transponder to even access the PATS system to erase the lost and broken keys?

English is not my first language so it's probably just me that doesn't understand this part of the instructions.

Thanks in advance!
- Yari
You will need at least a Two Month Trial licence for this process. Read here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

Unfortunately, it looks like your situation will be erase and program a new set. You will need two valid readable/writable keys (best to use Stratec keys from Ford. My preference due to experience!) that are mechanically cut for the car in order to turn the ignition on and enter the PATS service procedure(Look in the IPC service procedures under the Wrench icon. If not there it will be in the PCM service procedures under the Wrench Icon).

Your new Transponder with the key you found may or may not work. Do a DTC read with each( will happen as soon as Forscan does a successful read of all modules with the first key used. I presume you will use your transponder and old key first) of the keys you intend to use to turn on the ignition before opening PATS to see if you get a B1601 or B10D07:51 DTC as that DTC is indicating a readable but unprogrammed key was used to turn on the ignition. This Indicates that there is a reasonable chance that the transponder is programmable! Does not mean that it is definitely programmable,(why I recommend Ford Keys) just that the transponder was readable but not programmed!

You would then use the the "key erase" process and then "ignition key programming" to program a new set. You must program at least two and up to eight can be programmed in most cases using this process!

The "At least one valid key" is for "Spare Key Programming" which does require one key in hand that does start the car(situation would be, you have only one working key but there two keys stored in memory.).
In your situation that is not available if the only key you have in hand is triggering the immobilisation process.

Hope that answers your questions? Good luck!
yariwes

Post by yariwes »

tractmec wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 pm
yariwes wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
- Yari
You will need at least a Two Month Trial licence for this process. Read here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

Unfortunately, it looks like your situation will be erase and program a new set. You will need two valid readable/writable keys (best to use Stratec keys from Ford. My preference due to experience!) that are mechanically cut for the car in order to turn the ignition on and enter the PATS service procedure(Look in the IPC service procedures under the Wrench icon. If not there it will be in the PCM service procedures under the Wrench Icon).

Your new Transponder with the key you found may or may not work. Do a DTC read with each( will happen as soon as Forscan does a successful read of all modules with the first key used. I presume you will use your transponder and old key first) of the keys you intend to use to turn on the ignition before opening PATS to see if you get a B1601 or B10D07:51 DTC as that DTC is indicating a readable but unprogrammed key was used to turn on the ignition. This Indicates that there is a reasonable chance that the transponder is programmable! Does not mean that it is definitely programmable,(why I recommend Ford Keys) just that the transponder was readable but not programmed!

You would then use the the "key erase" process and then "ignition key programming" to program a new set. You must program at least two and up to eight can be programmed in most cases using this process!

The "At least one valid key" is for "Spare Key Programming" which does require one key in hand that does start the car(situation would be, you have only one working key but there two keys stored in memory.).
In your situation that is not available if the only key you have in hand is triggering the immobilisation process.

Hope that answers your questions? Good luck!
Hi, thanks for your quick response!
So just to be clear, the key I put in to turn the ignition on does not necessarily need to be pre-programmed to the car in order to access Forscan? To clarify: When I put the key in and turn the ignition on, Forscan will work no matter if the key used to turn the ignition on is already programmed or not?

Hope my question makes sense :)
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

by yariwes » Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm

So just to be clear, the key I put in to turn the ignition on does not necessarily need to be pre-programmed to the car in order to access Forscan? To clarify: When I put the key in and turn the ignition on, Forscan will work no matter if the key used to turn the ignition on is already programmed or not?

That is correct!!
You only need keys mechanically cut for the car that will turn the Ignition on to access Forscan and the PATS service procedure, It does not need to be a programmed key to erase keys and program a new set.

A previously programmed and working key (one that starts the car) is needed in order to add Spare keys or extra keys into a "two working keys already in memory but one has been lost scenario" through the "Spare key programming" feature if it is available in the PATS menu.
This will be impossible under the "no working keys" case you have described.

The case you have described, having no working keys at all, means you will have get two transponder keys mechanically cut to fit the car so you can turn the ignition on.
This will allow the ignition to be turned on (with hopefully valid transponder keys), so Forscan can connect to the car and you can open the PATS service procedure and use the Key erase process to erase the non working keys from memory. When that is completed successfully then use "Ignition key programming" to install at least two new keys!

Hope that clarifies it? Good luck!
yariwes

Post by yariwes »

tractmec wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:08 am
by yariwes » Wed May 12, 2021 6:15 pm

That is correct!!
You only need keys mechanically cut for the car that will turn the Ignition on to access Forscan and the PATS service procedure, It does not need to be a programmed key to erase keys and program a new set.

A previously programmed and working key (one that starts the car) is needed in order to add Spare keys or extra keys into a "two working keys already in memory but one has been lost scenario" through the "Spare key programming" feature if it is available in the PATS menu.
This will be impossible under the "no working keys" case you have described.

The case you have described, having no working keys at all, means you will have get two transponder keys mechanically cut to fit the car so you can turn the ignition on.
This will allow the ignition to be turned on (with hopefully valid transponder keys), so Forscan can connect to the car and you can open the PATS service procedure and use the Key erase process to erase the non working keys from memory. When that is completed successfully then use "Ignition key programming" to install at least two new keys!

Hope that clarifies it? Good luck!
Thanks again!

I expect to get the cable, new key, and new transponder in the mail by Monday, so I'll try it out then!

Two more questions before I try it:
1. Before I spend an extra 30€ having to cut the new key, can I just test out both transponders by placing one in the already-cut key first and looking for the code, and then just switching it out for the other transponder and looking at that code? So basically using the same mechanical key with two different transponders to trick the car into thinking there are two entirely separate keys.
If both transponders work I'll then have the new key blade cut as a copy from the first key
2. Someone on a different forum where I asked for advice said that I need an incode to access the PATS system, from the instructions I assume that Forscan automatically generates this code right?
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

by yariwes » Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks again!

I expect to get the cable, new key, and new transponder in the mail by Monday, so I'll try it out then!

1. Before I spend an extra 30€ having to cut the new key, can I just test out both transponders by placing one in the already-cut key first and looking for the code, and then just switching it out for the other transponder and looking at that code? So basically using the same mechanical key with two different transponders to trick the car into thinking there are two entirely separate keys.
If both transponders work I'll then have the new key blade cut as a copy from the first key
2. Someone on a different forum where I asked for advice said that I need an incode to access the PATS system, from the instructions I assume that Forscan automatically generates this code right?
Would not hurt to try that. Clear the the DTC's after the first key and change keys before you turn the ignition back on to force another read with the second key so that you get separate reads of each one or if there is a PATS self test in the Test section run that with each key.

But remember that the the B10D7:51 or B1601 DTC code does not ensure the transponder will program(Just means that PATS was able to read a signature). Also it will not tell you if the transponders are copies with Identical signatures. (many of the cheap ones out there are copies or clones of one single transponder signature)

This identical signature condition will cause PATS to see the two transponders as a single key and cause a non start condition especially in your case as the key count will not have two known separate transponders in memory and since you have no working keys there must be two separate transponders programmed in PATS memory for the starter to be unlocked!

Unfortunately this will not be known until programming is attempted and completed and you get an error message like this "Key programming was successfully completed but key count has not increased"! This is a limitation of the PATS system and not Forscan.( Personnel experience with this one.) (Understand now why I recommend Ford keys?)

Your second question: Yes, this vehicle is very likely "Coded" access and Forscan's built in Generation tool should work on Europe market vehicles before 2011- 2012 and N/A vehicles(the few that are coded) before 2014. The Menu should offer you a choice of using the built in calculator or an external outcode/incode calculator service web page.(a link to one is further down)

When the "Gain Access" menu opens, it will be either Coded or Timed or you may be offered a choice between "Timed or Coded access. Timed accesses requires a wait time of 10-12 minuets before you can get access to the PATS menu. Coded generates an "OutCode that you copy and paste or type in to the Incode box to gain access. My three vehicles being N/A market are all timed access so have little experience with "Coded" access

See this Topic for more help viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

The Incode can also be generated at an external site here;http://www.autokeyprog.com(Just tried it and it works) but you must create an account with an email address to get an activation code by email and create a password and get a log in to use the Ford Incode generator.

Now a little advice from some one who has tripped up doing this!!!

When you start to program the keys in, once you have gained access and done the erase procedure and opened Key programming, have your blanks laid out before hand, in the order you intend to install them and close so you don't fumble them as you have only 10 seconds after you turn the ignition off with the first key to get the first key out and the next key in and the ignition back on.

The key must stay in the ignition for at least 2 seconds to be read and stored and the car signature written to the key before turning the ignition off again to start the 10 second timer to program the next one if you are adding more than two.

If you drop one with the ignition turned off the process will time out in 10 seconds and assume you have programmed the last key and you will have to gain access all over again!

As each key is programmed put it somewhere away from the unprogrammed ones so you don't mix them up (will cause the Identical signature error described above) (Ask me how I know)!

I always start the engine with the last key before I exit out of the process for a test. If the last key starts the engine you have a successful key program session and you can exit the program or turn the ignition off and and the program will exit itself after 10 seconds and give you the "completed successfully message(hopefully) and then you can try each key again after exiting!

Hope this was not just more confusing? Good luck!
yariwes

Post by yariwes »

tractmec wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 pm
by yariwes » Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks again!

Would not hurt to try that. Clear the the DTC's after the first key and change keys before you turn the ignition back on to force another read with the second key so that you get separate reads of each one or if there is a PATS self test in the Test section run that with each key.

But remember that the the B10D7:51 or B1601 DTC code does not ensure the transponder will program(Just means that PATS was able to read a signature). Also it will not tell you if the transponders are copies with Identical signatures. (many of the cheap ones out there are copies or clones of one single transponder signature)

This identical signature condition will cause PATS to see the two transponders as a single key and cause a non start condition especially in your case as the key count will not have two known separate transponders in memory and since you have no working keys there must be two separate transponders programmed in PATS memory for the starter to be unlocked!

Unfortunately this will not be known until programming is attempted and completed and you get an error message like this "Key programming was successfully completed but key count has not increased"! This is a limitation of the PATS system and not Forscan.( Personnel experience with this one.) (Understand now why I recommend Ford keys?)

Your second question: Yes, this vehicle is very likely "Coded" access and Forscan's built in Generation tool should work on Europe market vehicles before 2011- 2012 and N/A vehicles(the few that are coded) before 2014. The Menu should offer you a choice of using the built in calculator or an external outcode/incode calculator service web page.(a link to one is further down)

When the "Gain Access" menu opens, it will be either Coded or Timed or you may be offered a choice between "Timed or Coded access. Timed accesses requires a wait time of 10-12 minuets before you can get access to the PATS menu. Coded generates an "OutCode that you copy and paste or type in to the Incode box to gain access. My three vehicles being N/A market are all timed access so have little experience with "Coded" access

See this Topic for more help viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

The Incode can also be generated at an external site here;http://www.autokeyprog.com(Just tried it and it works) but you must create an account with an email address to get an activation code by email and create a password and get a log in to use the Ford Incode generator.

Now a little advice from some one who has tripped up doing this!!!

When you start to program the keys in, once you have gained access and done the erase procedure and opened Key programming, have your blanks laid out before hand, in the order you intend to install them and close so you don't fumble them as you have only 10 seconds after you turn the ignition off with the first key to get the first key out and the next key in and the ignition back on.

The key must stay in the ignition for at least 2 seconds to be read and stored and the car signature written to the key before turning the ignition off again to start the 10 second timer to program the next one if you are adding more than two.

If you drop one with the ignition turned off the process will time out in 10 seconds and assume you have programmed the last key and you will have to gain access all over again!

As each key is programmed put it somewhere away from the unprogrammed ones so you don't mix them up (will cause the Identical signature error described above) (Ask me how I know)!

I always start the engine with the last key before I exit out of the process for a test. If the last key starts the engine you have a successful key program session and you can exit the program or turn the ignition off and and the program will exit itself after 10 seconds and give you the "completed successfully message(hopefully) and then you can try each key again after exiting!

Hope this was not just more confusing? Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! The transponder and complete key (including transponder) I bought from different webshops so I don't expect them to have the same signature, but as you said there's no way to find out until I try it.

I will give an update as soon as I have received everything and (I hope succesfully) tried to program the keys :D