tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: Help with downloading license Key

Post by tractmec »

Joshzilla007 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:43 am
estreet7 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
no matter what I do it will not go to where the key is stored? It only goes to files not anything I downloaded, I hate Windows 10! XP was the best! Yes, I have tried to copy and paste it also! The above link might as well be in French, it doesn't say how to fix this! What is "regedit"?What app or kind of file is looking for it, what is the kind it is looking for? .key is of no use or help! English, Please! This is what is called a "bug" that needs to be fixed here! Please, just store the key in the program! Thanks! Storing, saving, or reading it with "regedit" does not work! Why would you even post that incomplete even more confusing info! The answer is in that link somewhere if your a computer wiz maybe and have the time to learn everything Windows! wasted my time-just someone intelligent give a simple answer, please! Not a useless seemingly (but maybe right?) smart one! I am mad because I have spent a lot of money and time in this and my new notebook, Ford workshop manual on disk and OBDLink MX are of no use if the program does not load the key!!! Clear, straight forward, step by step instructions always work!

So this is exactly where I am right now, it’s trying to open as a word document and I can’t unselect that as the default.
Your very next post said “okay working now”
How did you go from the frustration here to get it working?
I’m stuck and just as frustrated as you were in this comment.
Any help is greatly appreciated
I will attempt to explain this once again!!! This time with Pictures?

1 Open the key with Forscan ABout Page
StandardLic.PNG
StandardLic.PNG (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
2 Use the File manager that opens
Open C:\
Open C:\
FileManagerForscan.PNG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
3Open your user name
Open users to your user name and open your username
Open users to your user name and open your username
Username.PNG (76.22 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
4 Go to where you downloaded the FORScanLicense.key file. Mine was in the downloads folder yours may be in a different folder depending on where you put your downloads!
Mine was in Downloads you may have chosen a different directory
Mine was in Downloads you may have chosen a different directory
FORScanLicence.PNG (66.9 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
5 Forscan will ask to restart and the About page should look like this
Forscan licPg.PNG
Forscan licPg.PNG (55.48 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
I uninstalled my license and used the procedure laid out in the screens above to reinstall as I created this post!!!

Hope this clarifies the operation
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
beastie3kk@gmail.com
Vehicle: F-350 powerstroke 2008

Post by beastie3kk@gmail.com »

I got the licensing figured out but I don’t know what to do after that.
f-wolf
Vehicle: *** Ford ***

Post by f-wolf »

Last edited by f-wolf on Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

beastie3kk@gmail.com wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:48 pm
I got the licensing figured out but I don’t know what to do after that.
Do you have an OBD2 adapter and have you installed it's drivers and have you tried connecting it to the car? If you do not know how to do at least that then Forscan is not going to be of much use to you!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
tommyboy68
Vehicle: 2016 1.5 cmax titanium auto

Post by tommyboy68 »

hi I've tried to install the file containing the key , it dosent seem to load , would it be easier just to buy the one year licence for approx 7 quid instead.. I've followed the instructions plus video as well but no joy at all ... I understand the issue may be with windows 10 ... any advice would be very welcome . thankyou..
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

tommyboy68 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:10 am
hi I've tried to install the file containing the key , it dosent seem to load , would it be easier just to buy the one year licence for approx 7 quid instead.. I've followed the instructions plus video as well but no joy at all ... I understand the issue may be with windows 10 ... any advice would be very welcome . thankyou..
Posting the specific symptoms you are experiencing would help to diagnose your problem. However, you could try the following procedure!

With Windows Ten, you might try right clicking on the Forscan Icon and click "Run as Administrator" and then use the "Load Licence Key" button in Forscan.
Depending on how your Win 10 system is set up you may be running up against a User Account control setting that does not allow Programs started from your Particular User Account to Allow access to System Programs like the Registry editor which is what the License procedure in Forscan is using.
You should get a Pop Up asking, "Do You Want to allow this Program to alter system files?". Click yes and Forscan should start with elevated Administrator Privileges and allow the Key file to load!

This will likely include the Paid activation, if you buy one, as it uses the same procedure with the additional step of going out on the Internet to an activation server for a registry key based on the activation code you buy and then running the same registry edit in the background.

In my Win 10 Machine I cannot use member fwolfs method of copying the FORScan.key file to the Forscan folder in the Programs(X86) folder unless i am running as Administrator with full Administrator privileges. I suspect you are having a similar problem with background Registry Edits!
Rob.B
Vehicle: 2017 F250 Super Duty 6.7

Post by Rob.B »

Pictures helped a lot, I found everything and I tried the install, after it asked to restart, I get the same screen, it doesn't go to the registered page, it takes me right back to the enter activation code page. Quick question does it matter that the hardware ID is not the one that I originally signed up with?

ID on Forscan page is A5DCCEDF-D75C
My device ID is FA898294-8BF2

and if it does matter how do I change it?
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

Rob.B wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:47 pm
Pictures helped a lot, I found everything and I tried the install, after it asked to restart, I get the same screen, it doesn't go to the registered page, it takes me right back to the enter activation code page. Quick question does it matter that the hardware ID is not the one that I originally signed up with?

ID on Forscan page is A5DCCEDF-D75C
My device ID is FA898294-8BF2

and if it does matter how do I change it?
Yes it matters!! The License, both the two month free trial and the "Paid" activation code, are tied to One specific Hardware ID. In order to change it you must generate( if this is a free trial) another .key file with the ID of the machine you intend to use the license on (In this case the "My device ID).
The one you are trying to install, from the Forscan page will only license the machine with that specific Hardware ID.

For instance if you used a Desktop machine to generate the license and intend to use a Laptop for the license, You must use the hardware ID from the Laptop to generate the license!

"Paid" activation's must be uninstalled from the original machine so that machines Hardware-ID becomes "Deactivated" at the activation server and then and only then can another machine be activated with the same single activation Code.

Several paid activation's( with the same activation code) can be purchased and used to activate licenses on several machines but each paid activation can only be activated on a single machine!

Hope that clears this up?
Rob.B
Vehicle: 2017 F250 Super Duty 6.7

Post by Rob.B »

It does a little, but Im using the original computer I downloaded the key on, and it still doesn't match, it has never matched (im using the free 2 month) I have tried to uninstall and reinstall multiple times, the id's keep coming back the same A5DCCEDF-D75C
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

Rob.B wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:55 pm
It does a little, but Im using the original computer I downloaded the key on, and it still doesn't match, it has never matched (im using the free 2 month) I have tried to uninstall and reinstall multiple times, the id's keep coming back the same A5DCCEDF-D75C
I have recently discovered a little quirk in Windows 10 that is interesting( My Win 10 machine is running under a Microsoft account). If you run Forscan "As Administrator"(Right click on the Icon and click "Run as Administrator" and I am afraid I advised this earlier in this thread before I discovered this) you will get a different Hardware ID in the Forscan About Page than if you run Forscan as a normal user(just double click on the Icon).

If you are running windows 10, try opening Forscan as administrator, record the ID and close it and double click the Forscan icon on your desktop to run it under your normal user name and compare the Hardware ID's and see which one is actually listed, or if either of them are, on the Forscan download site.

Interestingly I also found that if I attempted to install the Normal user ID generated license, while running Forscan as administrator, the process would fail, but then when I opened Forscan as a normal user, Forscan would open as licensed!

I have not tried the reverse but I can only assume it would also work in reverse?

I have not found this to be true with any of my windows 7 machines. On these machines Forscan run under either account shows the same Hardware ID.

I also have two Windows 8.1 machines with Forscan installs. One is a Lenovo G505 Laptop and the other is a Dell venue 8 Tablet and interestingly the Lenovo 8.1 install exhibits the same behaviour as my windows 10 machine(Two different Hardware ID's depending on whether Forscan is running under normal user or as administrator) but the Dell tablet 8.1 install does not!
Both 8.1 machines are running under local user accounts instead of Microsoft accounts!

I will have to do some research or maybe someone here will be intrigued enough to find out what is going on with Win 10?

Something to try anyway!