Transit Custom Ford reversing camera add. Nov 2020.

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Burtie
Vehicle: 2020Transit Custom Ltd Auto, 130/2.0, dual agm.

Transit Custom Ford reversing camera add. Nov 2020.

Post by Burtie »

Evening all,
I have a Nov 2020 build transit custom which I would like to fit the reversing camera option. I have purchased a camera and rear loom from a possibly 2020 salvage vehicle on ebay.(20 plate in pics)
Downloaded forscan and bought the recommended lead.
Found the reversing camera option in the apim module and changed to enable.
In reverse the parking sensor model has moved to the corner and the screen is blue before it fails(camera not installed at this point)
With the camera connected via the two plugs(grey and black) behind n/s rear wheel arch the screen goes through blue screen to black and then fails.
I’ve been struggling to find much info of use from this point. Someone I lauded to the black screen being significant but hadn’t given and further info.
I have also read that when trying to fit the Ford equipment often the power supply to the camera is interrupted?
There isn’t a current owners manual available from Ford for my van, 2.0 panther so not sure if there is a fuse required for the camera. The previous facelift version doesn’t appear to have had one but the 2.2 puma like my old custom does have a fuse.
Not sure how I could test the camera?
Is there a calibration requirement?
Any colour coding advice for checking power to camera at the grey plug?

I’m in the process of putting van back together as I need it in one piece and I was hoping for a lot that it would work so easily but had to give it a go. I will now be hoping for some nuggets of info that will help me understand the way forward.
Regards
Burt
U.K spec 130 Ltd Transit Custom, Nov 2020 build, auto box. Sync 3, radar cruise, TSR etc.
Burtie
Vehicle: 2020Transit Custom Ltd Auto, 130/2.0, dual agm.

Re: Transit Custom Ford reversing camera add. Nov 2020.

Post by Burtie »

Ok, well I have just been out to reconnect the rear door/camera loom in again.
This time I looked closer at the two plugs.

The grey plug only has two wires, the same on original and camera loom so ill assume they are serving the same purpose on each.

The black and red plug has 4 wires on the van side. The camera loom has 7 wires but only one of them mates with wires on the van-side plug. 10 positions total.

The van-side plug is also missing the other 6 pins which would be required to make all connections with the rear door/camera loom.

On the van-side plug there is a black/green wire which is 5.6v going to 12v when in reverse but as it stands this wire cannot connect to anything through the plug anyway.

so that's it for now, a little bit further to possibly nowhere.
b3nyf
Vehicle: smax 2.0 diesel 210bhp 2016

Post by b3nyf »

Hi

Is yours the sync 2.5 with no module behind the glove box? You’ve got further than me.
Laserman
Vehicle: Various models

Post by Laserman »

AFAIK Sync 2.5 does not have APIM fitted.
MoJo88
Vehicle: Mondeo Vignale 210ps 2017

Post by MoJo88 »

Laserman wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:54 pm
AFAIK Sync 2.5 does not have APIM fitted.
You're right, it doesn't. But it's still possible to add a reverse camera.
mark.brameld
Vehicle: Transit custom diesel 130ps 2019 crew cab with tailgate

Post by mark.brameld »

Hi all

sorry to jump in and hijack the thread. Did anyone get any further with this?

Ive looked for the camera plug but cant find it in the back? mines a 2019 facelift custom tailgate double cab with sync 3.

I managed to active it in the APIM. due to not finding the plug in the rear of the van I removed the glove box and connected to the loom at the module - brown with purple trace video (-) pin 15 and white with green trace video (+) pin 14. i then tested with an aftermarket cheap camera and it works.

so my only option now is to run a cable from front to back, unless someone knows where else i could look for the camera plug?

cheers
Mark
Mozillasx1
Vehicle: Transit custom 2020

Post by Mozillasx1 »

Hi,
Has anyone figured out how to interface a reverse camera on sync 2.5
Mozillasx1
Vehicle: Transit custom 2020

Post by Mozillasx1 »

I believe its the 2020 focus harness from Amazon £10 thats needed to interface sync 2.5
Or splice wires 14 and 25 under screen.
bigpete49
Vehicle: custom euro 6 300 130 2019

Post by bigpete49 »

Hi i'm also looking at doing this. i have a 19 plate sync3. No camera fitted from factory but i bought a Ford one from a salvage yard. I believe it only needs coding in does anyone know the code? and where to add it. Thanks