In the 2.2.* branch we introduce new terms: Standard License and Extended License for Windows versions of FORScan.
Standard license is the default one distributed with FORScan. Anyone who has downloaded and installed FORScan version for Windows works under Standard license. FORScan under Standard license is fully functional, except some (few) functions that are available under Extended license only. Extended license is not provided by default and has to be obtained as described below.
The objectives of the Extended license:
1. Limit access to critical functions. For example, let's look at the PATS programming functions. If the function is available without any control, any thief who has a laptop and ELM327 can program new key just for seconds. We do not think this is something what our users want.
2. Take payment for functions that are most time/resource consuming in impementation. We are often asked about donation. We have no donation scheme, but in the future anyone who wish to help us financially has an ability to purchase the Extended license.
So in other words, if you are a FORScan user, you will have only 2 cases when you need the Extended license:
A. If you want to help to FORScan team financially (in the future, as currently we have no payment options).
B. If you need an access to a function that is available under Extended license. If it is your case, please do not try to inquire for Extended License unless you see the following message:
List of functions that require Extended license:
Note: the functions may be implemented not for all models. Please either check for your car support in Change Log on the Download page, or check for the function presence in the functions' list when FORScan is connected to the vehicle,
Service -> PATS Programming
Configuration and Programming -> Module Configuration
Configuration and Programming -> Module Configuration(AS BUILT format)
Configuration and Programming -> Central Configuration
Configuration and Programming -> Module Reset/Configuration (required to learn central configuration changes related to these modules)
All the rest functions do not require an Extended License!
A. How to get paid long term Extended License:
1. You can purchase Extended License on the Products page through our partner's site (MyCommerce/ShareIt). You can order 1 or 3 years license.
2. As soon as your payment is processed, the shop will show you order/confirmation page that contains Activation Code, and also will send you the confirmation email that contains the Activation Code and installation instruction. It will look like the following:
Code: Select all
License key for unlocking the product The product is licensed to John Smith. Please note that you will not receive a delivery by postal mail. The license key for "FORScan 3 years Extended License for 1 PC" is listed below. You will need this license key to complete the process and activate the product. The license key and the text below originate from the software publisher and may be written in another language. Your activation code for 1 FORScan Extended License(s) is: FSEL-XYZK-1234-ABCD The following information is from Aleksey Savin and may be written in another language: Thanks for using FORScan! Please activate your license(s) as the following: 1) Run FORScan and go to the About section (last item in the main menu). 2) Press "Enter Activation Code" button. 3) In the dialog opened please enter the activation code you received in email. Note: we strongly recommend copy & past the code (not type manually) to avoid mistakes. 4) Wait for activation result and confirm restart of FORScan. Note: if activation fails, please check your PC firewall settings and make sure FORScan outcoming connections are not blocked. 5) After restart the Extended License is installed and application is ready for use. The activation code is valid during the whole license validity period. In case of laptop replacement, Windows reinstallation etc you may need to use the code to activate FORScan Extended license again. Please keep the activation code safe. In case of problems with activation, please contact FORScan Support Team.
It is important to note the following:
- Internet connection is required at the moment of activation. After activation, FORScan doesn't require Internet connection.
- Activation Code is not one-time code. It needs to be used again to activate the Extended License if activation is lost for some reason. It is recommend to store the Activation Code in safe place. If Activation Code is lost, you can request it from FORScan support team.
- 1 license is supposed to be used on a single PC. You can order several licenses at once (just specify number of licenses you need), in this case all of them will be connected to the same Activation Code, so this code can be used on several PCs.
B. How to get free 2 months trial extended license:
1. Copy the Hardware Id from the About chapter of FORScan:
Important note: you need the hardware id of the equipment that directly works with your vehicle. So if you have a desktop and laptop, and you use the desktop to review the logs and the laptop is used to connect to your vehicle, you need to get the Hardware Id of you laptop!
2. Generate trial license using this link:
Generate trial license
with the following information:
- Your First and Last name
- Contact phone
- Hardware Id obtained in the item #1
3. After license key is successfully generated, click on the Download link in the Action row of the table and download the license key to any convenient place.
4. You have 2 ways to apply the license key:
4.1. Just double-click on the file and confirm adding the registry record, then restart FORScan.
4.2. Use button Load license key in FORScan->About section, then agree to restart the application.
5. FORScan with correctly applied extended license should look like this: