Intermittent loss of power/turbo on diesel Focus

Share your FORScan experience with other users
anoddlad
Vehicle: Focus Diesel 2.0 2015

Intermittent loss of power/turbo on diesel Focus

Post by anoddlad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:15 am

Hello,
I've had an annoying intermittent issue on my 2015 diesel Focus where it occasionally loses power - it feels like I don't have a turbo any more until I turn the engine off and on again. Sometimes I have to do this several times. Ford garage are unable to investigate unless they can replicate the problem, which they apparently can't, so have been using FORScan to try and diagnose it myself.
All the error codes appear to be around intake or turbo air flow/air pressures, but I can't work out relative timing of the different error codes to try and see what's actually starting the problem off - I don't suppose the DTCs have any sort of datetime stamp on them that I just can't see at the moment?
Have tried instead to use FORScan as a passive data logger whilst driving routinely. I've noticed the link briefly disconnects between my tablet and the bluetooth adapter occasionally, so I often don't actually have the full journey's log (obviously I can't monitor the app safely whilst driving to reconnect manually!). Is there any way to get FORScan to automatically reconnect and autosave the logs before doing so?
I also can't find how to monitor all the sensors listed/flagged in the DTCs ("mass air flow" is easy enough, but "Diesel intake air flow Position Sensor", "Diesel Intake Air Flow A Control System" and "Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position" have me stumped - they don't seem to be in the PCM section).
I've still got some really useful info out of FORScan - I now know that the problem only happens when coasting on hilly sections - I lift off the accelerator, then a few seconds later the turbo wastegate goes to 0% and stays there until the end of the journey or I turn the engine off and on again. The wastegate staying at 0% definitely correlates with the observed loss of power, and makes sense with the feeling I've lost my turbo. My only issue now is I don't know if this is the cause, or the computer protecting the engine from a different problem!

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: Intermittent loss of power/turbo on diesel Focus

Post by denbo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Bluetooth are useless, unless you pay loads for it. Get a usb one and it won,t drop out. Do a scan when its faulting, and post them here if you want help.

anoddlad

Post by anoddlad » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 am

Got a USB one originally, but couldn't connect it to a tablet, so instead I had a laptop sliding around bashing its USB cable, was going to break that eventually so thought I'd try bluetooth.
Most recent DTC scan and (partial) log attached.
Attachments
loss of turbo.txt
(335.19 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
DTC_2019-06-12_08.59.26.txt
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

denbo

Post by denbo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Looking at that scan i would have a guess and say a turbo pipe is split/loose.

anoddlad

Post by anoddlad » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:43 am

Ford agree - they reckon a hole in the intercooler, apparently you can hear it when the engine revs (I'm not sure why they didn't notice it the first 3 times they investigated, mind).
I still think there's something electronic going on too though - I see a lot of different odd behaviour (random ABS errors, engine refusing to turn off, immobiliser errors), although Ford said this was just the bad data from the damaged intercooler confusing the ECU. Which doesn't sound right, I don't quite know how a hole in the intercooler would cause the attached (had lost power steering, speedo, start/stop, etc.). The DTCs show multiple systems not communicating properly on that occasion.
Attachments
DTC_2019-07-24_17.23.26.txt
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
P1010201small.jpg
P1010201small.jpg (397.11 KiB) Viewed 128 times

denbo

Post by denbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Do you know anyone with a smoke machine? This always finds the leak for me. One of the most common hoses to split is the rubber elbow as comes off the manifold. Top left, as you look at engine.