Ford S-Max 2.0 tdci - P003A:17-2F - correct VANE POS values

Share your FORScan experience with other users
correira
Vehicle: SMAX TDCI 140CV 2011

Re: Ford S-Max 2.0 tdci - P003A:17-2F - correct VANE POS values

Post by correira » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi,
I'm dealing with the same DTC P003A:00:2F.
I came form a much worse situation, P2263 from time to time and constant P0299. After some investigation done it appears the turbo actuator solenoid was not working properly, on ebay they called it a turbocharger pressure converter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-PIERBURG- ... rk:17:pf:0

So I've replaced the solenoid and no longer see P2263 and P0299, so I hope that is fixed.
Now from time to time a got a P003A, no impact on car performance as far as I could see, and no LIMP mode.

Since car now have more then 150.000 km might be an intermittent sticky vane issue, I'll try to reach by hand to see if it's moving without any restrictions, but in the meantime I took same graphs on forscan, and I believe that vanes should open more when I accelerate, maybe because I did this on the parking, instead driving it...
Attachments
p003A test1.jpg
p003A test1.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

daufmen
Vehicle: ford mondeo 2.0L TDCI 2009

Post by daufmen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:05 am

Hello There

Some one have make solution to fix the problem P003A
For me it's appear after disassembling turbo repair so now I don't know if I can use the car, and the problem even persists that I changed another position detector

If reset the value it's the solution with witch soft can I do... Because here we haven't forscan

Thanks please

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Post by denbo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 pm

The problem seems to be sticking vanes. If you disconnect sensor and move lever back and fro with hand, it should be free with no restriction. Any restriction must be addressed to make it free moving. In most cases a strip down and clean is required. However, i have seen some video,s using oven cleaner foam.

daufmen

Post by daufmen » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm

finally it was a very important thing about to the control valve adjustment of the variable geometry of the turbocharger

P003A -17
this code means that there is an overshoot at the maximum limit of the opening during suction that must not be greater than 100% on the position sensor reader of the turbocharger control valve, engine in idling without acceleration, and that rule with a stop shaped rod threaded on the turbocharger itself, it blocks the arm of the variable geometry pulling the rod.

P003A -16
this code means that there is an overshoot at the minimum limit of the opening when the rod is released which must not be less than 0.23% on the turbocharger control valve position sensor reader, engine off, and that rule with a bolt on the rod itself that allows to extend the rod or reduce its length

and of course I could do that thanks to Forscan

Learning the values ​​is purely physical with these bolts and threaded rod located on the turbocharger, with a visualization of the changes of the values ​​of the minimum and maximum positions on Forscan in real time.

thanks again Forscan

Robdav99
Vehicle: S Max 2.0 TDCI 2009

Post by Robdav99 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:06 pm

daufmen wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm
finally it was a very important thing about to the control valve adjustment of the variable geometry of the turbocharger

P003A -16
this code means that there is an overshoot at the minimum limit of the opening when the rod is released which must not be less than 0.23% on the turbocharger control valve position sensor reader, engine off, and that rule with a bolt on the rod itself that allows to extend the rod or reduce its length

Learning the values ​​is purely physical with these bolts and threaded rod located on the turbocharger, with a visualization of the changes of the values ​​of the minimum and maximum positions on Forscan in real time.

thanks again Forscan
That is very interesting. I've been getting p003A-16 recently from time to time.
Ive seen vane_pos go to 100.50% quite a few times, do you think that is what is causing it?

Can it be fixed just by winding the knurled threaded rod back on the actuator untill is no longer goes past 100%?

Mondeus87
Vehicle: Mondeo Mk4 2.0 TDCI dw10c 120kW

Post by Mondeus87 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 am

Hello everyone,
I experience issues with P003A as well, however it is also connected to strange sound coming when I release acceleration pedal. Something like metallic sound, usually appears when i drive on 4th-5th gear and accelerating and releasing. Really strange.

Have any of you experienced similar and know how to deal with it ?

Thank You in advance !

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Post by denbo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Some good reading here. The turbo vanes do get sticky. You can buy some good turbo cleaners and they do work. Its important to manually move the arm to free off the vanes while the cleaner does its job. Sometimes it may take 1 or 2 times depending on how gummed up the vanes are. If you take your time and do the job correctly the results are excellent. I have done many, and sometimes have to use oven cleaner for the more stubborn ones. In regards to metalic noises, if there from the turbo area, with the engine off, remove the rubber pipe from the turbo and stick your finger in to feel for any play in centre shaft. Even the smallest amount of play means the turbo is failing.

daufmen

Post by daufmen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Robdav99 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:06 pm
daufmen wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm

P003A -16

thanks again Forscan
That is very interesting. I've been getting p003A-16 recently from time to time.
Ive seen vane_pos go to 100.50% quite a few times, do you think that is what is causing it?

Can it be fixed just by winding the knurled threaded rod back on the actuator untill is no longer goes past 100%?

Hello there
First Excuse Me for the time that I have do answer, You know from the time I haven't conserved the forum I haven't received any email to inform me that there is message

After I want to confirm you that's your idea is very correct You have to Adjust them Us the method that you have say to don't pass 100%
For me I have put it in 99% or 98%

you will have to put a value a little lower than the maximum 100% because as soon as you start to tighten the wheel on the rod the values ​​change a little

But if you have this value 100.5% Constant But if it's change from the time to the time you have to find the problem is air pump

If it's not constante , you should have a problem in the circuit of vacuum sucked by the vacuum pump which also controls other systems like braking and butterflies that control the intake air volume

If its constant at 100.5 % , You have only to adjust Could have told And don't believe to adjust to the minimum at 1%