Cleaning clogged DPF on Ford Focus II 1.6 TDCI

Share your FORScan experience with other users
fordPT
Vehicle: Ford CMAX 1.6TDCI

Re: Cleaning clogged DPF on Ford Focus II 1.6 TDCI

Post by fordPT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 am

I decided to share my experience, as I was able to solve my issue due to the first poster of this thread and the MAF trick.
I am not a mechanic at all and I did not had experience with any software or the OBD2.

Story: When driving on the highway I got "Engine failure". 125 000Km. Motor acted from that point forward as it did not had power, like no turbo was active. Uncomfortable with the idea of going to the mechanic again and spending a lot of money, I decided to try to know where the fault was. I ordered a ODB2 scanner, Bluetooth, that costed me about 15€. Came from one day to the other.
First thing that I did was to install a software that is called TORQUE (at that time I did not knew about ForScan), and the android application told me that I had the P242F fault. Reading about it, it was the particle filter that needed to be cleaned. Fault on the computer corresponds to "diesel particulate filter restriction ash accumulation".
I was unable to take the fault out and at that time I read about the FORScan application. I was able to connect to the car using my adaptor and a computer, so I started to understand how things work. First thing was to try to make a static filter regeneration, that failed all the time at about 11%.

The result was: Service procedure has been interrupted

I also took information about the DP_DPF (pressure in the filter), and at idle I got about 3KPa and at 2K RPM about 13KPa, others RPM's I did not tested. Values here high, but not the highest that I saw in the forum, so I though that I should try a static regeneration. At the same time more reading about the subject told me that with this error (P242F) the car thinks that the filter is over static regeneration possibility, then the only solution would be to remove and to clean the filter... I opened the hood, and damm, it looked a lot of work for someone as inexperienced as me. So I read this post about the MAF sensor, followed the procedure and I was able to take the P242F fault. After this I was able to run the static generation.

After the static regeneration I was able to test again the pressure values and I got about 0.7KPa at idle; about 3.6KPa at 2K RPM; 8KPa at 3K RPM and about 12KPa at more than 3.5K RPM, so a improvement was noticeable. I think I did it correctly. If the values are ok, I really do not know, so I unsure about how much time the car will run without the same problem.

I made videos during regeneration and after regeneration.
https://youtu.be/aaA7z6ZI3Qo
https://youtu.be/Nit6pjlteRY
During regeneration, no smoke was noticeable from the exhaust.

Now I am happy again... I just do not know for how long !

lkola
Vehicle: Ford C MAX, 2.0 TDCI, 100 KW, 2007

Post by lkola » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi,

Can you tell haw many minutes is the duration of the static regeneration, and can you share any update on behavior of DPf from the regeneration.

Thanks

peterc
Vehicle: FORD C max 1.6 tdi 2008

Post by peterc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:26 am

I flushed out my DPF without removing it.
I used Mannol 9995-9996-Diesel-Particular-Filter-DPF-Regenerator-Cleaner-and-Flush-Fluid-Pack.
I removed the Temperature Sensor and poured the cleaner through the hole using a small funnel and plastic tube then followed the instructions on the cans.
I took the car for a 20 minute drive on the motorway then cleared the code and reset the DPF regeneration. Car came out of limp mode and has been fine for about two months now :)

pietr
Vehicle: Fiesta 2007, Fiesta 2013

Post by pietr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am

Does anyone know if the DPF on these cars can be removed when the car is on standard 3 ton jack stands? Or would I need a lift/pit?

Mareng
Vehicle: Mazda 6 Diesel, 2.2, 2014, Britain

Post by Mareng » Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 am

kramdrol wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:20 am
Hey, 2015 mazda6 2.2 dt. Engine oil light regularly comes on. Oil level had always risen to the 'X'. WTF? Mechanic did not know what was going on. The internet helped me figure out it was automatic DPF regens while driving, causing oil to be diluted with diesel fuel. Seriously considered DPF removal as I only do small trips. More searching led me to buy a bluetooth OBD, a USB -> bluetooth for my laptop, and a few free programs to try. Only Forscan worked properly. Did a forced regen, took 45 minutes. Great program!!! Car now running much better. Am now monitoring the car while driving on the road using the Android version of forscan. I have 6 parameters I am monitoring. DPF_REG_CNT (regen count), DP_DPF (differential pressure, most likely reason for auto regen), OIL_DIL (oil dilution, set max level to 1kg, shows .1kg with oil level 1/4 of the way between 'full' and 'X', REG_DIS (distance since last regen), REG_REQ_A (request for regen auto), and REG_REQ_F (request for regen forced). Have done 120 ks since forced regen, all good so far. The DPF is clearly not fit for purpose, in regard to how it is cleaned automatically. Will ruin my engine with oil dilution if not monitored and cleaned properly with a forced regen. Will see how I go with the ability to monitor and force regens. Love the car otherwise!

UPDATE
After about 200km since forced regen, the DP_DPF pressure started climbing to often between 10 and 19. Soon the REG_REQ_A switched to 'on'. Everytime I stopped at lights it went back to OFF. When I took off it returned to ON. Luckily I had 20 mins spare so I hit the local freeway. 10 minutes of freeway driving and the regen went back to OFF. There has been no change in OIL_DIL or dipstick level. There was no indication that the car had gone into AUTO_REGEN other than the forscan utility. I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.
So even though this 'worked' I am not wrapped I will have to do forced regens all the time, to avoid these unfinished auto regens and associated oil dilution. I only do small trips. This will always be a problem for me. The DPF leaves the car unfit for constant small trips, ruining an otherwise great car. DPF removal is really the only practical solution for me.
As an ownerof a 2014 M6 from new, I would recommend changing your oil and filter well before you reach the "X" on your dipstick. Normal oil change is 12k miles, try at 6k miles. These Skyactive diesels are not meant for running round the town all the time but for long motorway journeys, so I would suggest once a week take it for a steady drive at 70mph in 4th gear and cruise control on the motorway for at least an hour. Heavy accelleration will not help your cause.
There has also been a software update to the EGR during Autumn 2018, this should be followed by a dealer intake manifold and cylinder head decoke. Its a 2 day job in which the they remove the inlet mainfold, EGR and its cooler and decarbonise everything.

I certainly would not remove the DPF on your model as it is illegal and you will run into more problems. The car works fine if driven correctly.
I achieved 51mpg the other week and the car running very smooth and responsive . Are you using a C1 engine oil?

auskuba
Vehicle: Mondeo MA, 2.0tdci, 2008

Post by auskuba » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 am

I high pressure hosed my dpf on my 2008 ma mondeo tdci and it worked after a forced dpf regen.

Thanks heaps for this thread.