IPC on 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Share your FORScan experience with other users
nyrpwr
Vehicle: Explorer Sport, 3.5L V6 TT

IPC on 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Post by nyrpwr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi, call me a newbie or whatever, but I am in the FORScan knee deep and love the ability to customize my ride as much as humanly possible. However, I cannot seem to get FORScan to read my IPC module on my 2016 Explorer Sport. I like the fact that some of you have been able to add the climate control feature to the instrument cluster, so I want to be able to do the same. Problem is, when I run FORScan, I don't see the instrument cluster codes. I have the OBDLink SX connector tapped into a Windows XP netbook running FORScan 2.3.8 Beta. I know, old stuff but it's the only Windows machine I have in the house (Mac guy). I an also run a Windows 7 VM on my Mac, but I get the same results. I simply connect to the ELM327 connector by clicking the connect button. No IPC module appears. Is this normal? Do I need to add the switch to the connector?

Thanks!

nyrpwr

Re: IPC on 2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Post by nyrpwr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Do I need to enable the module or something in order for FORScan to read/write to it?

tractmec
Vehicle: Ford F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expedition 5.4 2003

Post by tractmec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:52 pm

nyrpwr wrote:Hi, call me a newbie or whatever, but I am in the FORScan knee deep and love the ability to customize my ride as much as humanly possible. However, I cannot seem to get FORScan to read my IPC module on my 2016 Explorer Sport. I like the fact that some of you have been able to add the climate control feature to the instrument cluster, so I want to be able to do the same. Problem is, when I run FORScan, I don't see the instrument cluster codes. I have the OBDLink SX connector tapped into a Windows XP netbook running FORScan 2.3.8 Beta. I know, old stuff but it's the only Windows machine I have in the house (Mac guy). I an also run a Windows 7 VM on my Mac, but I get the same results. I simply connect to the ELM327 connector by clicking the connect button. No IPC module appears. Is this normal? Do I need to add the switch to the connector?

Thanks!
Hello nyrpwr:

That module will likely be on the MSCAN bus and will need the switch installed in ELM327 based adapters! Unfortunately the SX adapters are very difficult to install a switch in due to their tiny case size and the fact that the No. 3 and 11 pins are soldered into riser board which makes it difficult if not impossible to add the switch.

There have been some on the forum who claim to have traced the wires in the cable and installed the switch in the cable and made it work or have used an extension cable with the switch installed. My SX adapter has never asked for the switch which according to the MSCAN switch modification instructions on this forum means Forscan does not see MSCAN on the board so will not ask for it

I never tried it instead opting for a clone VCM2 which so far has been successful!

Others have opted for an OBD link MX bluetooth adapter which is somewhat cheaper than VCM2 and has MSCAN ability or an ELS27 USB adapter which also has MSCAN ability
built in.

It's nothing you are doing wrong, it is because that adapter has no MSCAN ability natively and i suspect that when you get one with MSCAN support you may find many more modules besides the IPC!

Good Luck:

nyrpwr

Post by nyrpwr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Well, it's not the answer that I was looking for, but at least it's an honest answer.

Is it a simple pinout that can be accomplished by some soldering a switch and patience?

Thanks!

tractmec
Vehicle: Ford F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expedition 5.4 2003

Post by tractmec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 pm

nyrpwr wrote:Well, it's not the answer that I was looking for, but at least it's an honest answer.

Is it a simple pinout that can be accomplished by some soldering a switch and patience?

Thanks!
Have a look at the two links below if you have not already as to the switch modification. I have done one in a similar adapter that is an older Scan tool OBDLINK ELMSCAN5 which is unfortunately now discontinued. I have not done it in An SX adapter as it is completely PCB soldered with no wires long enough to unsolder and move to switch between the pins 6 and 14 and pins 3 and 11 and there is no room in the case for a switch anyway.

If I were going to do this I would do it in the cable or better yet, as the first link suggests, in an extension cable. Both ways will require tracing wires and cutting them and soldering in the switch to the correct wires on the correct pins!

A poster in the first link claims to have done it and it worked. Your mileage, as it is said, may vary!

Good luck:

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... k+SX#p9151
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4