Programming modules help please. Toolkit ?

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Dino7
Vehicle: 1800 TDCi Focus 55

Programming modules help please. Toolkit ?

Post by Dino7 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi

I am new to sight and fantastic to find you ! I have a TDCI 55 UK focus and new manufacturer steering electric hydraulic pump. My new Forscan tells me to programme the module I am using the ELM 327 and that reset the knock values sensor no problem but the software points me to a tool box to programmes the steering module. Please move this post if its in the wrong place Mods !

1 Is there a software add-on I need to purchase or download
2 will the elm actually programme the module with a file through the usb via the OBD socket
3 if there is a cost where do I pay and download the tools kit.
4 Can we at last now programme our ecus with alternate info than that required in FORD WDS and IDS ?

Thanks

Dino7

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Programming modules help please. Toolkit ?

Post by FORScan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 am

This is Ford specific DTC and the description is the one provided by Ford. The Toolbox reference is most likely related to a Ford dealership equipment. FORScan is currently unable to program modules (except certain operations like injector coding or some other service functions). Sorry for the confusion.

Tony Back
Vehicle: Ford Focus

Post by Tony Back » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 am

Elm327 is a scan tool, so it can project only scan function. It can not program ECU modules.
What elm327 did you get, bluetooth, USB or WIFI on Anroid, iOS or computer? You are able to download free Torque software on the internet
IDS system is the best choice for Ford ECU progrmming, but the original one is a little priecy, you can also get a good clone

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 am

Tony Back wrote:Elm327 is a scan tool, so it can project only scan function. It can not program ECU modules.
What elm327 did you get, bluetooth, USB or WIFI on Anroid, iOS or computer? You are able to download free Torque software on the internet
IDS system is the best choice for Ford ECU progrmming, but the original one is a little priecy, you can also get a good clone
This is not correct.

ELM327 and compatible devices are able to reflash modules on models equipped with CAN bus (Ford starting from 2002-2007 year, depending on model, Mazda starting from 2004). Older models (1996...2002-2007) that have J1850PWM and ISO cannot be reprogrammed using ELM327. However, it can be done using J2534 Passthru device (not all of them still, for example Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 doesn't support J1850 PWM, although Tactrix says on their site that they do). FORScan will support reflashing somewhere in branch 2.2, including support of Passthru devices.

The real problem with ELM327 is that 95% of these devices are china clones, as a result they have problems with performance and reliability. It is easy to "brick" a module using such an adapter. Even worse, the quality of china clones become worser every day. This is why we recommend to obtain white-label solutions (if possbile), such as OBDLink MX (for enthusiasts) or CanTieCar (for professionals). They are much more reliable. It seems we will have to limit reflash functions somehow, to save users from serious problems.

Also, it must be noted that the IDS VCM you sell is also some kind of china clone, and although they have better quality than ELM327, they still have quality problems, most often with wires and cables.

Fast Johnny
Vehicle: 2013 Fusion 2.5L

Post by Fast Johnny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi everyone

I have gotten some scary results from using a modified Chinese elm and I was about to give up on the idea, but reading this last post gives me hope. I would like to ask the experts for help with my current issue...

My 2013 Fusion was involved in an accident. I drove it home with a spare tire on it and a "service power steering now" warning on the dash. I made the needed repairs and replaced the tire. The next time I tried to drive it, no power steering!

My research said that this is a self-protective action by the PSCM and many things can be responsible, from low tire pressure to a trashed rack and pinion. My local shop tried to scan and reset it for me but the PSCM doesn't even show up on their fancy snap-on scanner. My questions are;

Can forscan scan the error code and/or reset the module if I have the correct elm hardware?

If so, can you please tell me what I need to buy?

Thanks for your help and thanks to the forscan team for an incredible piece of work.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Fast Johnny wrote: My research said that this is a self-protective action by the PSCM and many things can be responsible, from low tire pressure to a trashed rack and pinion. My local shop tried to scan and reset it for me but the PSCM doesn't even show up on their fancy snap-on scanner.
You are correct, many things can be responsible for this problem, including mechanical ones. From side of computer diagnostic, we see 2 ways for you.

1. Visit a dealer who has necessary equipment to diagnose PSCM.

2. obtain an adapter, connect FORScan and try to check the PSCM state (read DTCs at least). Any adapter should work, because PSCM is on the HS CAN bus, however in the past we do not recommend to purchase cheap china clones because of multiple problems and complaints we got on them in the past (you may read about them in the Adapters & Connection forum). We recommend to obtain white label solutions, such as OBDLink MX.

As for the "PSCM Crash Reset function" for your model, we have no any information about such a function. Most likely, it doesn't exist.

Tony Back
Vehicle: Ford Focus

Post by Tony Back » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 am

Clone vcm2 also has good quality, i not saying ebay or Alibaba. good quality Ford VCM from china works just like original, there is some good quality benz and BMW units out there, vag com and VCP for vag. Honda HDS interface is very cheap from china and latest software can be found online and works great never failed me....

Dino7
Vehicle: 1800 TDCi Focus 55

Post by Dino7 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi

I have the mx link now and will try however in themeantime I have anew esp pump fitted from new but not ford programmed can this not be done by the extended license forscan as I have tried but it stops don't know why I cannot flash a new pum to put dash error read message off??
Attachments
forscan pic.png
forscan pic.png (63.75 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
forscan pic 2.png
forscan pic 2.png (39.53 KiB) Viewed 1788 times