SYNC/APIM issues, troubleshooting?

Share your FORScan experience with other users
pmthompson70
Vehicle: 2017 Fusion Energi

SYNC/APIM issues, troubleshooting?

Post by pmthompson70 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Just getting started with Forscan but have a little experience with Chevy and BMW programming and diagnostics. I have a probable hardware issue with SYNC (problem started with original Sync version and continued when software updated to V3). GPS is off by a mile + at times, touch screen and steering wheel and panel control button response is delayed by up to a minute, and voice recognition is functionally unusable. My questions are these:

Will Forscan be able to determine if it is a hardware issue?
Will I be able to wipe current APIM and reinstall SYNC V3 if it is a software issue?
Can I program VIN to replacement APIM module if it comes to that?

Thanks in advance!

montgom267
Vehicle: F150, 3.5 EcoBoost, 2018

Re: SYNC/APIM issues, troubleshooting?

Post by montgom267 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 pm

I am certainly not an expert but my own issues have given me a little insight. I have a 2018 F150. For what seems now like a dumb reason, I upgraded the Sync software in my truck in early June of this year. My system worked well before the update with some minor issues, which I was convinced would be cleaned up by the upgrade. Nothing could be further from the truth. The system became possessed by demons essentially and was basically unusable. My profession is in industrial control systems so I am familiar with the principles and programming, although I have never vectored into automotive systems. It was obvious the application layer had issues. Even though it aligned with what others say are APIM failures, mine worked well before so that would be highly unlikely.

I have reinstalled the update, done several master resets, 5 or 6 soft reboots (power and next track button), diagnostic mode (CD eject and next track button) and even taken it back to the dealer for a day. The dealer I used was near where I am working and they are abysmal (SAMES FORD Corpus Christi). The tech did a master reset and verified the software was up to date but nothing else. I was about 2 miles from the dealership when it cratered again.

Forscan in my experience is a real heavy weight configuration tool with some diagnostics, assuming the vehicle is producing codes. From what I can see it not a tool for working on the application layer beyond configuration. It is a really interesting and useful tool but as for troubleshooting a bad APIM, you may struggle unless it is producing fault codes. Restoring to the factory configuration is a nice feature and that is available via the website "https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt" . Forscan will help in configuring a new APIM, based on what I have seen in the tool and read. I am not sure if it is all you need though.

What has finally put my system back to working - at least so far - is pulling the Sync fuse from the panel in the passenger floorboard. I pulled the fuse turned the ignition on for a couple of minutes (screen of course was black) and then turned the ignition off. After a couple of minutes I reinstalled the fuse. It made a major difference. The APIM was not resetting via the upgrades or the master resets apparently. I am intrigued now and will delve into the details of this system, more for my interest than anything else.

Lots of words, maybe you will see something that helps.

pmthompson70
Vehicle: 2017 Fusion Energi

Re: SYNC/APIM issues, troubleshooting?

Post by pmthompson70 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 pm

What has finally put my system back to working - at least so far - is pulling the Sync fuse from the panel in the passenger floorboard. I pulled the fuse turned the ignition on for a couple of minutes (screen of course was black) and then turned the ignition off. After a couple of minutes I reinstalled the fuse. It made a major difference. The APIM was not resetting via the upgrades or the master resets apparently. I am intrigued now and will delve into the details of this system, more for my interest than anything else.
Thanks for the tips, definitely have not tried the above option yet so will give it a shot. I was having issues before the update but stranger things have happened. I would also guess that returning to the "as built" files would help narrow down the hardware/software question.

Thanks again,
Phil