6DCT450 clutch\fork learning - thoughts?

Share your FORScan experience with other users
alexbits
Vehicle: 2012 MK4 Ford Mondeo 2.0tdci

6DCT450 clutch\fork learning - thoughts?

Post by alexbits » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post on FORScan so hope I get it right! I have a MK4 2012 Mondeo 2.0tdci diesel with a Getrag 6DCT450 transmission in it.

When I connected my laptop with FORScan on I can see that there is a clutch and fork learning features available. We have five of these vehicles and one does not change as smoothly as the others, especially when it is cold. When the vehicle is warm it does change better but not "perfect", it has had fluids and filter changed.

I can see that there was a call for testers at the end of 2018 but can't see many other postings on people that have tried it. I'm curious how others have found it, what was it like, is it relatively safe, what would the worst case scenario be?

From what I've seen the dry clutch version is quite a bit more involved and risky so curious how much applies to these wet clutch types.

Also, should I do the forks learning first or the clutch learning first or does it not matter? Thanks folks!

Quick update; I've now ran this procedure on several of my vehicles with great success. I've also made a video showing what it is like, hope you'll find it helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddb2jal2bQg
Last edited by alexbits on Sat May 02, 2020 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

adixx87
Vehicle: ford galaxy 2.0tdci 140ps PS 2014

Re: 6DCT450 clutch\fork learning - thoughts?

Post by adixx87 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 am

hi.

Did you perform this task in forscan ? Did it helped in resolving the issue ?

Any step by step guide ? Any risk performing this and if getting error during processm it will affect the gearbox ?

Thanks

Keithmac
Vehicle: MK2 Kuga 2l dcti 163 Powershift 2013.

Post by Keithmac » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:50 pm

I have done this plenty of times now.

I do clutch lean first and then shift learn.

Unfortunately our Kuga 2013 Powershift gearbox eventually suffered the inevitable failure due to the poor design of the clutch damper plastic spring guides, these will ruin the rest of the gearbox.

I've spent a month fitting a 2017 version to ours but is not a straight forward fit by any means (I hand made bellhousing adapters etc).

The early gearboxes really are poorly designed unfortunately..

alexbits

Post by alexbits » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:42 am

I ended up purchasing a used vehicle for a ridicuously cheap price due to a thump in the transmission. I changed the fluid and filter which helped but decided it was worth while running the clutch and fork learning procedure.

It was pretty straight forward, tansmission warmed up, make sure there are not TCM faults. The clutch procedure requires you to have the throttle fully open and the engine reving at its maximum amount; other than that it was straight forward.

Afterwards I ran the fork learning and it was very similar.

The car was a whole new beast afterwards. Gear changes were very smooth and significantly improved from before. It certainly doesn't drive like a car with 200,000kms on the clock.

I have two other vehicles with slightly bumpy transmissions which I'll run the procedure on. Might even film it so others can see what it's like.

dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq
Vehicle: Mondeo mk4 lift 2010 ,2.0 tdci PowerShift

Post by dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi
I am also facing a dilemma whether to do adaptation and calibration of the gearbox.
I have such a weird, not nice scratch during a shift. (oil changed).

I wonder if it will work.
What interface do you use to connect?

Regards

Keithmac
Vehicle: MK2 Kuga 2l dcti 163 Powershift 2013.

Post by Keithmac » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

I used a Proscan Automotive ELM Config wired adapter when I did mine.

dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq

Post by dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Thanks for the answer.
I have the usual ELM327 (with a switch) and all in all works without a problem but I have concerns to do anything with it. I need to buy a solid USB cable to work.

BTW - I noticed a strange condition:
the gear will tear when shifting up / down - but if I pin the accelerator to the end and, for example, from gear 1 to 4, I will do it twice, it stops pulling. Jerking again occurs as the car cools down over and over again.
Oils changed over time, mileage 300kkm, which can be the cause - any sensor whatever?

would a colleague who wrote that he would record a movie as calibrated / adapted - would he share this movie?

stay healthy

alexbits

Post by alexbits » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:17 pm

HI dzwiedziq, definitley will record a movie. Unfortunately we are in lockdown here in New Zealand due to the coronavirus which means I can't drive anywhere which means the car can't get warm enough to perform the procedure on it. Once we are out of lockdown I'll make a video and share it here :D

Hope everyone is well and keeping safe!

dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq

Post by dzwiedziq_dzwiedziq » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Very good - preventive actions are the most effective :).
Crap happens everywhere .. in the world.
In Poland, it is also better not to move - you know how it is now a little 'more time' at home (no travel time) - gather information to be able to quickly act with the car later :)

Best regards

AlMas
Vehicle: Focus, Diesel, 2000/120kw, 2012

Post by AlMas » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:18 am

G'day Alexbits, Alastair from Christchurch here. I'm just about to carryout the Clutch and Shift learning procedure on my 2012 Focus 2.0Tdci. Can you remember roughly what RPM the engine runs to during the Clutch learning procedure and roughly how long it's up there? Don't want to annoy the neighbors too much over ANZAC weekend. Cheers, Al.