How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.*

Share your FORScan experience with other users
cgregg71
Vehicle: 2013 F250 6.7L SuperCrew

Re: How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.*

Post by cgregg71 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 pm

A For what it's worth post:

2013 F250 6.7L

I got a new-to-me truck that came with only one key. Since there was a rogue key floating around out there, I decided to re-code the ignition and door locks to match my Lincoln and then got some new 4-button remotes off Amazon cut to match the Lincoln key. As soon as I had the new ignition cylinder in place, I used Forscan to wipe all exiting keys (so the rogue key out there could never be used to start my truck) and added the new Lincoln clones.

That part went well, and the keys would now start the truck just fine, but the buttons would not lock/unlock the doors. So, I did a little digging and reading and based on error codes in here, I turned to eBay and bought some "genuine" Ford logo 4-button keys. I didn't realize that what I was buying was a pair of keys, so when I bought Qty:2, I actually bought 4.... they arrived, I got them cut, and I repeated the above process with the new Logo keys. Same result. I can start the truck and it disables the alarm if I turn the ignition, but the lock/unlock buttons don't work. So, I turned to a locksmith... he refused to sell me a key and told me to just do the standard key programming routine. I wish I could recall the website he sent me to for the proper directions (you could look it up for any vehicle, but Google is your friend, right?). Anyway, it was basically just this:

Close the doors, put the key in the ignition and turn to on.
Open the driver door.
Cycle the key to off and back to on 8 times, ending at On, within 8 seconds. If you do this right, the horn will beep.
Press any button on the key. The horn should beep.
Press any key on all remaining keys, one at a time, waiting for the horn beep.
Turn the key to Off.

That did the trick.... and, I now have six working keys for my truck :lol:

Note: At more than one point during this process, the code returned by Forscan in DTC following a reprogramming indicated that the keys could not be programmed, but they are now working just fine. I even just added remote start today and that is working without issue (make sure you enable in Body and IPC and then tell PCM to relearn). YMMV, but I suspect the key not programmable error, or whatever it is, might simply indicate that it cannot be auto-programmed; the keys still get successfully added as admin keys, but the buttons just don't get auto-programmed and have to be manually done the "old-fashioned" way.