How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.*

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Bullets4all
Vehicle: Mondeo MK5 2.0 TDCI

Re: How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.*

Post by Bullets4all »

if you have the 2 original keys you can program it on the 3rd miss with the car without forscan or something else
and_therex
Vehicle: Ford mondeo 1.5 ecoboost 160bg 2015

Post by and_therex »

I have 2 original keys but the third one is not the original one I bought from AliExpress, for remote start. Can I use this new 4-button switch in addition to my 2 original keys? I will stop using this key if I need to give up my original keys
Bullets4all
Vehicle: Mondeo MK5 2.0 TDCI

Post by Bullets4all »

it's not possible . Give up the original key. But the operation is easily reversible
Olddog
Vehicle: Ranger, 4L Sohc, 2010

Post by Olddog »

I purchased a 2010 Ranger in August and of course it only came with one key. Local locksmith quoted $75 for spare. I decided to chance it with one key for a while. Then I got a Black Friday offer from ScanTool.net for an OBDLINK-EX for $33.95. They said it was recommended by this magical program called FORScan that I was unaware existed. I ended up ordering it through Amazon as well as a pair of china key blanks (I had not yet read all the warnings about china blanks). Local hardware store cut them for five bucks. I figured I better try programming without erasing first.
I now have three working keys in hand. I finally mustered the courage to try to get rid of the fourth key by deleting all and re programming the three I have. But when I enter PATS now, there is no option to do anything with keys. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.
VASAC
Vehicle: Lincoln Navigator

Post by VASAC »

Hello. Keys were erased and 2 keys were programmed successfully on Lincoln Navigator 2008. Thanks a lot.
Is there any chance to program OEM remote start to PATS using forscan? I tried remote start programming manual, also tried to do same as guys on YouTube. No luck!
Here is the procedure, but it doesn't work for me.
https://youtu.be/eQ7HNE8eceM
VASAC
Vehicle: Lincoln Navigator

Post by VASAC »

VASAC wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:10 pm
Hello. Keys were erased and 2 keys were programmed successfully on Lincoln Navigator 2008. Thanks a lot.
Is there any chance to program OEM remote start to PATS using forscan? I tried remote start programming manual, also tried to do same as guys on YouTube. No luck!
Here is the procedure, but it doesn't work for me.
https://youtu.be/eQ7HNE8eceM
!!! SOLVED !!!
Pats Interface Module had broken wiring and Spare key programmable - option must be activated in Forscan.
tmittelstaedt
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Focus

Post by tmittelstaedt »

epbog wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 pm
The procedure seem pretty straight forward, my question is about the outcode/incode part; does ForScan auto generate the codes for my model year, or do I need to be prepared with an external website code generator? The one that I found referenced, autokeyprog.com, is no longer a valid site. Can someone help me with this or let me know if it's even needed before I start? Thank you.
I really wish Forscan would periodically go back and fix dead links in their stickeyed posts.

Here are 2 "free" ones I found from Google:

https://www.weboctopus.nl/pats.php

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

I have not tried either. But both apparently are of the "software is free and you get a couple free uses but more than that you have to pay"
variety. Obviously if given a choice in Forscan you should always try the "timed access" first since some vehicles support both. Apparently some cars will give you access at the 6-10 minute mark without having to wait the full 12 minutes.

For the first link if you pay them a couple hundred you can buy the software that generates the codes without having to buy code tokens.

With the newest vehicles Ford has gone to an online system where the scantool has to contact Ford over the Internet. I know from experience asking around that there are companies that sell "complete systems" that an independent hardware store can buy that come as a kit with the programming stick and a bunch of keys that cost several thousand dollars. The store can then sell off the keys. Because there's so many different keys out there with those places you typically have to take the car in and they will order the keys then you come back with the car once the key blank is in. Those "kit" systems are complete closed systems that only work with -their- key blanks. Their programming stick also must have access to the Internet, there's a hardware store near me that has one of those and they have a wifi router in the window of their place so they can do these out in the street. I assume the company that sells the kit must have some agreement with Ford and GM and the other major automakers to access their servers. Customer cost on those is better than the dealer but it's still over a hundred dollars a key.

I assume locksmiths either use a kit system like that or they use key cloner systems with keys the customers have or they do what we do which is delve into the grubbiness of using a real scan tool with the software for the cars that don't require online access.

What really chaps me about all of this is that the original 40 bit PATS systems with real keys pretty much dead-ended your average street car thief from ripping off your car. When they went to full on fobs with no keys it opened a huge hole for thieves to use amplifiers in the street to steal cars by amplifying signals from a fob inside the house. The automakers didn't need to do that to deter theft nor did they need to go to 80 bit systems or the newer online systems to deter theft. What happened is the automakers discovered they could make millions selling replacement keys and everything they have done since the 40 bit PATS system has been all about defeating people like Forscan from taking revenue away from them on key replacements, and NOTHING about deterring car theft.

Our home has no off street parking so we have always parked in the street in front of the house. Back in the old days when everything was mechanical locks we had a car stolen around once every 6 years or so generally by hammering a screwdriver into the lock and using vicegrips to work the lock back and forth destroying it. Their favorite time to steal them was around 3am in the morning. I did buy clubs but those are a PIA to remember to put on and the club keys can get lost. They can also cut the steering wheel to remove them. Once we started buying used cars with chipped keys that fun and games stopped. It was a good system and didn't need to be "improved" by going to keyless fobs and start buttons.
Arczi919
Vehicle: Fiesta VII, 2015, 1.25 82ps

Post by Arczi919 »

Focus mk2, 2008. Works great.
I didn't have any key, I was able to add two new ones.
Elm 327 Bluetooth
thanks.
mtoebe
Vehicle: Ford Edge, 6 cylinder, 2014

Post by mtoebe »

I was able to program a third key. The dealership didn't tell me they only had one and I forgot to ask. Pats knew 2 keys so I just added a third key.
I would like to erase the second key but I wasn't comfortable erasing all keys . Is there a way to limit the key or turn it off?
;)
Arczi919
Vehicle: Fiesta VII, 2015, 1.25 82ps

Post by Arczi919 »

mtoebe wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 pm
I was able to program a third key. The dealership didn't tell me they only had one and I forgot to ask. Pats knew 2 keys so I just added a third key.
I would like to erase the second key but I wasn't comfortable erasing all keys . Is there a way to limit the key or turn it off?
;)
if you have two working keys, remove them all and add these two again. I did so in the other car.