Restraint control module not found *Solved*

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Kugamark18
Vehicle: Kuga Titainium 2.0d 2016

Restraint control module not found *Solved*

Post by Kugamark18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi all, can anyone shed any light on the following

Kuga 2016 66 plate UK, accident damaged with air bag deployment

Vehicle has been running, despite the seats and dash out - on reassembly the only module that was replaced was the restraint control module (with same from non deployed car) since then the steering lock has deployed and won’t release and forscan can not read or even see the RCM

I have checked the obvious, fuses connectors etc and even put the old module back in, battery is fully charged - any ideas?

Thanks in advanced Mark
Last edited by Kugamark18 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Re: Restraint control module not found

Post by Andyfocus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:02 am

use the original rcm , and use the crash clear action should fix the module , if its not seeing the module including the old one then start checking fuses and wires . you may have disconnected something while doing another job that had affected it.
it should not affect the steering lock with rcm module in or out of car .
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .

Kugamark18

Post by Kugamark18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Cheers for the reply

Agreed it was working fine before putting the centre console back in - where do I find the clear crash data if it can’t see the RCM.

Mark

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 am

wait until it can see the module before using clear crash data as it wont work until it can see the module .
then clear all codes after as it cause the ipc to set a crash data signal which will clear once the module is cleared

Kugamark18

Post by Kugamark18 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi all

I’m still having no joy connecting with this Restraint Control Module and I’ve just suddenly realised its not physically bolted in place?

Surely it gets its earthing through a cable/wire and not through the module itself - or have I just ‘school boy errored”

Not got time to work on it till next weekend but if anyone knows for sure it would give me great hope😏

Mark

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:28 am

it earths threw both the body and a wire , its best to bolt it in place with at least one nut or bolt as the crash sensors are in built and if u knock it , it could set off the airbags , also make sure you are not loading a previous profile when looking for the modules , as it wont look for it if you are.

Kugamark18

Post by Kugamark18 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:23 am

Andyfocus,

Thanks for your continued help with this it does need bolting down and it’s cleared the “communication with restraint module” DTC’s in the BCM module but for some reason forscan still can’t see the RCM so I can’t clear the crash data.

Bolting it down has also cleared the “emergency assistantance not available” message on the sync screen - so some progress

Ive just ordered a genuine ELM as the Ebay one I have looks on the cheap side - either that or I’m asking to much of forscan with my 2016 kuga

Still struggling with the steering lock but I have a Ford tech (latest IDS) coming out in the morning - I’m hoping it’s a software glitch he seems to think a new Electronic steering lock needs coding to the car and that’s strictly a dealership job with the car being less than 3 years old - I’m sure they will have my pants down for that 😟

Will update all tomorrow.

Cheers , Mark

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 am

use forscan mate u have the asbuilt data for it (steering lock ), when u run forscan dont load up any previous profiles , but if the codes have cleared then the module (rcm ) seems to be working correctly and communicating with the car.
do you see pats in any of the modules if so try connect to it then back out again and look for the steering lock control module and i dont know what forscan can do but see if their is a sync or reinitilise the steering module and also check the as build data on it as it may be corrupt when the car was crashed u never know , im in the same boat at the minute as i bought a light front ended 1 year old car and only have one key , u may be lucky but wont know till you look.
something seems to be happening here with the rcm and steering lock both playing up now (unless i missed something where the lock was playing up before ? )im thinking something in common with the 2 may be effecting them , might be worth rechecking earths and connectors ( especially the bcm ones sometimes they look in but in fact arnt seated correctly as it not inserted correctly when pulling the handles back to lock them they miss the gears that pull them together ( i found out the hard way lol ). also check for any crimped crushed wires that u may have trapped when putting the consol back in.
if u was in the uk and close i could have tried the older version of ids (v109) i have for everything else other than the pats system on our cars ;) , so could probably have reset the steering lock mech or tried to do something with it,
the stealer ship wanted to charge me £280 for reprogramming the pats and supply 1 new key , i have bought another key with correct transponder and have got that down to £100 just to reprogramm them both now , and the other key and transponder came to like £20 (had to buy a seperate transponder as the most times the china ones wont work as the first 2 keys ) .
also not sure what adaptor your using but make sure that if it has a switch on it that u have the setting set to ask to switch in the options before connecting to the car.

Kugamark18

Re: Restraint control module not found (Solved)

Post by Kugamark18 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Update to All special thanks to Andyfocus

Symptom: steering lock fully engaged
Restraint Module not found in Forscan

Background: major repair, new dash with full airbag deployment (excluding sides) dash and airbags etc replaced - vehicle was starting/moving throughout the rebuild

On the advice of others new restraint module was installed (no crash data) at the same time battery went flat and on repowering numerous errors “no key detected” “steering lock malfunction “ - faults associated with poor voltage and no crank

Lots of DTC’s within BMI “no communication with restraint control module - solved only when unit was bolted back to floor - fully grounded still at this stage forscan could still not see the unit

Please note forscan issues may have been caused by eBay Cloned elm device

- autolec called in with latest IDS - spent an hour trying to resolve steering lock issue - chasing inconsistent cam bus resistances to no avail

On the verge of giving up I asked him to clear crash data from original RCM - cleared with no issue and no DTC’s - vehicle would still not start steering still locked

A further check of DTC’s turned up lateral and longitudinal calibration issues in ABS module once cleared the steering lock disingaged 👍🏻😄 and vehicle started

Lesson learnt - swapping a RCM even from a “clear vehicle” will possibly corrupt other modules - it’s clear the vehicle needs ABS calibration to render the car safe to drive therefore removing the steering lock and enabling engine starting.

Hope this helps others

Cost of autolec £80

Mark

Kugamark18

Post by Kugamark18 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm