2006 Explorer with Powertrain Malfunction Indicator

Share your FORScan experience with other users
se9303
Vehicle: Ford Explorer 4.0L 2006

2006 Explorer with Powertrain Malfunction Indicator

Post by se9303 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Hello to all,

I am new to Ford Diagnostics and am very happy to see there is such a great forum and software to deal with Ford diagnostics and programming!!

Recently, my daily driven 2006 Ford Explorer ran into a no start/no crank issue. As a novice to Ford, i did the basic checks but without a diagnostic tool for this vehicle it was tough to find any leads into diagnosing the problem. I used OBD Fusion on my iphone but came up with no codes. So, i ended up having to take the vehicle to a mechanic shop. They diagnosed it and indicated that the instrument cluster had gone bad (obstructed CAN communication) and water residue had damaged the PCM as well. I ordered a new instrument cluster and the mechanic obtained a used PCM. They had it programmed and said it was all good. When i arrived to pick up the vehicle, the "Powertrain Malfunction Indicator" (looks like a wrench icon) was lighted up on the cluster. This was not there before the issue and they said it was because i needed to change my oil. Very poor evaluation and i refuted this a short while and as usually happnens, the owner said if i wanted that fixed to leave the truck at their shop and they would diagnose and tell he how much to fix it. Well, i decided to take the truck and leave. It runs fine and i disconnected the negative battery cable for a while to see if that fixed it, but still the same. They also only programmed 1 of my 2 keys and said the second key was extra. Just because of these types of issues, i wanted to avoid having to leave the car at some mechanic shop.

What could be the issue with this light on? Might it be old codes on the used PCM or a step the mechanic did not do when programming the PCM or by pure casualty a bad sensor ? I just ordered the necessary cable to use with the FORscan software to see if this can shed some information on this

Regards.
Mark

sheltonfilms
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L Gas USA / 2013 Explorer LMT

Re: 2006 Explorer with Powertrain Malfunction Indicator

Post by sheltonfilms » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 am

The powertrain malfunction light is just an extension of the check engine light. It means the PCM has caught something going on or the 4x4 module has (if equipped) and a code has been set.

This code may or may not be picked up by generic scanners but forscan should pull it for you.

Also since version 2.2.4 beta the 2006 Explorer keys can be programmed so you can program the 2nd key yourself.

Once you get your cable, post what you find out.

se9303

Post by se9303 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 am

[quote="sheltonfilms"]The powertrain malfunction light is just an extension of the check engine light. It means the PCM has caught something going on or the 4x4 module has (if equipped) and a code has been set.

This code may or may not be picked up by generic scanners but forscan should pull it for you.

Also since version 2.2.4 beta the 2006 Explorer keys can be programmed so you can program the 2nd key yourself.

Once you get your cable, post what you find out.[/

Thanks for your reply Sheltonfilms

My truck is not 4x4.

I did a scan yesterday/today and get the following:
PCM P1000-FF. Says among other things “ The vehicle is new from the factory and has not yet been through a complete OBD drive cycle

Says this will clear when all OBD monitors are ready

IC U0159 -60 lost communication with parking assist control module A. Module: instrument cluster

IC U1900-60 CAN communication bus fault
Malfunction indicator light is off for this dtc

GEM B2276-60 less than 2 transmitters programmed (i only have 1 remote control since owning the truck)

Is the Requirement for all readiness monitors to set themselves to “ready status” get rid of the “wrench” icon on the instrument cluster?

I ran an OBD monitor check with ForScan and currently the only ome “incomplete” monitor is the evaporative system monitoring

I had scanned the truck yesterday and removed the negative battery terminal and connected an alligator clip wire from the disconnected negative to the positive battery terminal to reset the PCM. At that point when i turned it on all the monitirs were incomplete but from using it these 2 days they have all gotten ready except for the evap system

What do you think?

If it matters. I noticed that when key is put into the “on” position the 4x4 and 4x4 liw icons light up (wrench icon comes on and off then the 4x4 and 4x4 low icons turn off and the wrench comes back on. My wife is the one that drives this vehicle and she told me that the 4x4 and 4x4 low icons never came on before rhe truck had the PCM and instrument cluster replaced

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Don't worry about the monitors. You got code p1000 because the keep alive memory was wiped out from a battery disconnect.

Was the instrument cluster brand new or was it programmed to another vehicle?

The shop probably just did a parameter reset so they could program the PATS system.

Sounds like the As Build Data configuration wasn't loaded so it thinks you have 4WD but you don't, hence the powertrain indicator and the lights coming on.

Do this:

Get the extended license and go into the Configuration and Programming section (looks like microchip on the LH side). Then select ICM AS Built Data and hit play. Take a screen shot and post all the hex values. Then PM me your VIN so I can look at what is on there now and what it should be.

se9303

Post by se9303 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:48 am

sheltonfilms wrote:Don't worry about the monitors. You got code p1000 because the keep alive memory was wiped out from a battery disconnect.

Was the instrument cluster brand new or was it programmed to another vehicle?

The shop probably just did a parameter reset so they could program the PATS system.

Sounds like the As Build Data configuration wasn't loaded so it thinks you have 4WD but you don't, hence the powertrain indicator and the lights coming on.

Do this:

Get the extended license and go into the Configuration and Programming section (looks like microchip on the LH side). Then select ICM AS Built Data and hit play. Take a screen shot and post all the hex values. Then PM me your VIN so I can look at what is on there now and what it should be.

The instrument cluster is new.

Working on displaying the data

se9303

Post by se9303 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 am

Here you go

I noticed the 4x4 and 4x4 low lights turn on when putting the key in the “on” pisition and my truck is 2WD.
Attachments
845FC771-2AB7-4CCC-9884-3807A227CD07.jpeg
845FC771-2AB7-4CCC-9884-3807A227CD07.jpeg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 am

Ok I compared your AS BUilt to what ford factory programmed your vehicle to.

The instrument cluster you got was from VIN 1FMEU73E66UA12726 (720-02-1 though 720-06-01 is the hexadecimal equivalent of the vin number). The first line (720-01-01) in your picture is 99 07 69 D0 02 and it should be 99 05 48 D0 DF. 720-01-01 is the option settings (it appears).

I took the VIN of the other car and found out that it did in fact come with a 4x4 transfer case. So lets try changing the first line to see if that kills the 4x4 light and the powertrain malfunction light.

Your shop never copied the old parameters and programmed them to the newer IC.

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:18 am

One of those bytes is for 4x4 and the other is for rear parking sensors. I checked your VIN and see you didn't have it but the IC cluster's VIN does.

This should also clear the code below because it's currently trying to communicate with a module that isn't there.
IC U0159 -60 lost communication with parking assist control module A. Module: instrument cluster

se9303

Post by se9303 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:27 am

sheltonfilms wrote:One of those bytes is for 4x4 and the other is for rear parking sensors. I checked your VIN and see you didn't have it but the IC cluster's VIN does.

This should also clear the code below because it's currently trying to communicate with a module that isn't there.

Interesting. So i change the values and press write and wait for it to complete and done?

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 am

Should but there is a line I'm seeing in the service manual that concerns me (hold off for right now until you can answer the questions below):

NOTE
NOTE: If the IC is installed new, updated, or re-configured, the IC requires a parameter reset to allow the IC and the PCM to recognize the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) keys. Failure to carry out the parameter reset to theInstrument Cluster (IC) may result in a no start condition.

I'm worried that you may have to re-program your keys.

Here is whats crazy. According to Ford your PATS system requires 2 keys to be present to do a reprogramming. How did they only program 1 key?

Have you tried your 2nd key? Did the shop ever have possession of the 2nd key?

See if there is a PID for amount of keys programmed in the ICM module. Does it say 1 or 2?