ABS bleed

Share your FORScan experience with other users
SoNic67
Vehicle: Mercury Sable, 3.0L DOHC, 2001

ABS bleed

Post by SoNic67 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:34 am

I am trying to bleed the ABS on a 2001 Mercury Sable - US. I can see the ABS module, I can select the Control PID's... but when I want to use them, the ON/OFF switches are grey-ed out and inactive.
I am using an ELM327 clone V1.5 to connect and a Windows 10 Dell laptop.
Can anybody help me to figure what am I doing wrong?

LE: I needed to activate "Live Streaming" to be able to control the switches. Kind of counter-intuitive.
Last edited by SoNic67 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: ABS bleed

Post by FORScan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:48 am

Regarding control PIDs:
Here is an article about Output control mode: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=844

However, ABS bleeding usually requires mutiple actuators activations, made with some periods and in certain sequence. We have doubts you can do it manually. There should be special ABS bleed service procedure that makes this job. Also, do you have a workshop manual for the car? Some vehicles require special device to create a pressure. Please check your PM for more details.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

I was thinking that this generic sequence can be used on most ABS systems:

1. Apply and hold the brake pedal;
2. Energize the first dump valve – the brake pedal should fall during this step;
3. While the dump valve is energized turn ON the pump so it runs – the brake pedal should rise during this step;
4. Repeat this process 3 times for each dump valve; and
5. Bleed the system at the wheels.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Today I have followed the above procedure and it worked. Don't know how well the old fluid was pushed out, but at least the valves and the pump worked.
The clean fluid (I had previously bleed the system with a whole bottle of fluid), now is dark, so it seemed that procedure worked.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Hm... well as far as we know orignal procedure processes 4 wheels in certain order (starting from rear right and ending with right front). And it has generally more complex algorithm (as as far as we understand it also touches inlet and traction control valves). But generally your sequence sounds right and bleeding this way should replace if not all then majority of the brake fluid.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Previously I did bleed normally all the wheels, used almost 1L of fluid. The fluid was initially clear in the new reservoir, master cylinder was replaced too.
Reading online, the only part that remained to be flushed it was inside of the ABS hydraulic module, trapped in by the normally closed dump valves. Today I have sucked out the darker fluid with a hand pump and replaced it with fresh fluid.