How to check blank PATS key

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Clyde
Vehicle: Ford F150 4x4 xlt 3.7L 6 cyl 2014

Re: How to check blank PATS key

Post by Clyde »

Thanks Raven! That's great advice about getting their reply in email before trying/cutting the 2nd key. And you are correct in that we can have up to 4 key fobs programmed, A total of 8 keys in all I believe I read, with 4 being like key's that just include the chip. I'll hear back soon enough from them and go from there. This has been such an educational process and I am glad I have found out so much more than I knew before!
The thought of dealers charging such crazy high amounts for a spare vehicle key is inexcusable to me. As much as we pay one would think they would be happy to flip us another spare key as needed, but nope!
I'm sure it will all work out fine.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

raven1783 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am
Hello and sorry you are going through the same issue I had.
You shouldn’t have to delete the other keys in order to add a new one if I’m not mistaken you can have up to 4 masters I believe I may be wrong but I know you can have more than 3 keys programmed. Hopefully that key is just a bad transmitter and if they tell you to try the other key make sure you get that in a email so you can have something to fall back on if they don’t want to give you a refund.

Hopefully you get a working key and yeah I don’t remember ither I’d i posted a link to a key lol
Great advice you gave me Raven!

And you were correct, there was no need for me to delete any of my keys.

After emailing the company back and explaining the 1st key failed to program they told me that their locksmith had also had issues with some of the ford keys and until he cleared/erased the keys from memory then added them back to get them to work and she said I should do that.
But I told her I would not risk deleting them to be left with a truck that wont start.
So I took both keys to a good local locksmith I was familiar with and he put both of the new keys in a small device that reads the transponder chips in keys if present.
And the 1st key I'd had cut at Bimart that failed to program did not have a working chip in it.
On testing the remaining uncut new key it tested positive for a transmitter, so he cut that key for me.

I took it home and hooked my laptop up to my trucks computer via its OBDII port, started the add new key process step by step and within minutes the new key programmed flawlessly!!

Now my truck shows 3 keys in memory and both my original key and the new key work perfectly!

I'm returning the bad key for a refund as it turns out I paid $20 more than I needed to in order to get a good key.

I'll use the link in the instructions on how to test for a good PATS key to order another key for half the price I paid for this one.

Thank you and all the other fine folks on the forum for helping me out with my questions!

Thank FORScan for a great tool that allows us to save money while getting our problems solved, I was happy to pay the $10 for the annual extended license for the software!
forzarreal
Vehicle: Ford Fiesta MK6

Post by forzarreal »

Hi, I am trying to program a new key for my Ford Fiesta. One strange thing I've com across - when checking the DTC codes I noticed I get B1600-60 with both my master key and OEM replacement? Why do I get this code even with the original key which starts and runs the car?
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Did you look up the dtc code? I did and pasted what it says below. I can add that this happened to me before also. I bought 2 OEM keys, the 1st one programmed with no problem but the 2nd would not. It actually happened with 2 different keys, the 1st I took to a regular locksmith who put it in a little key reading device that detects if the transponder is putting out a signal that can be picked up by the vehicle, no signal.
The 2nd time I took the key to Bimart ther have a similar device amd that key also had no signal.
So you probably have the same thing going on that I did with 2 different keys purchased online.

"OBD II fault code B1600 is a manufacturer specific code that is defined by car maker Ford as “PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received”, or sometimes as “No PATS Key Read by the PATS Control”, and is set when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects a communication failure between a PATS key and the PCM"
Agge
Vehicle: Ford Transit Duratorq TDCi 2,2L 140hk 2011

Post by Agge »

Hello. I had the code B10D7:87-0A and 2 programmed original keys, I also have the pats light blinking code 11 missing message. I have tried alot of stuff to fix it but without success. As the last step I decided to erase alla keys and program them again in hope that would fix the issue, but!? I managed to erase both keys without any problem, gain access and click - erased. Then programing function says pats success but number of keys did not increase, turn ignition off then on to see if any keys been added. But no keys are added how many times i repeat this action. I have two original keys that was delivered with the car.
Now I can´t lock the doors remotely anymore and the door lock is totally stuck because of not ever being used and not possible to even push key in to,because the guy on my company who had this car earlier never washed it for several years because that the rain did for him he said. I have alot of tools I don´t want stolen so I really need to get this fixed.
Anyone that can help me?
BommelDing
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo MK4

Post by BommelDing »

For my Ford Mondeo MK4 (2009) I get the DTCs - B10D7:51-2F
Earlier in this topic, it stated the PATS Programming is not available.

Is there a workaround to add the 3rd key, or is it just wait until there is a solution?
enforce
Vehicle: ford transit mk7 2010

Post by enforce »

Hi i have also an Problem for the PATS Programming.

Following Situation My Vehicle Ford Transit 2010 have 3 Keys Programmed this says FORSCAN. But i have only 1 Key (blue)

So for Now i want to add one more key to have at the end 2 Keys.
Is it possible to add more than this 3 Keys to my ?

My New key where i want to add to this Vehicle is only an Key with the Cutted Blade and the following CHip is this one of the correct Chips?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ID83-4D63-80Bit ... 2749.l2649

When i Try to Add the 4th Key Following failure is come to the DTC=
B10D7:51-0A
B10D7:05-0A

Pats Registration succesful, but the COunter is not higher.

Or i have to delete all of my Keys?
bikenut
Vehicle: F150 FX4, 3.5L Eccoboost, 2014

Post by bikenut »

OK, just to make sure I understand this:
With only 1 key, the only way to add another 4 button key is to erase the one key and program 2 new ones using Forscan.
Is this correct?

I tried the ignition key and add another key options and both failed.
The 4 button new key, a chinese one, returns the correct code that it can be programmed.

I'm scared to erase the one working key.

The local Ford dealer says it will be over $300, plus taxes to get a new key programmed.
I live in Canada so I expected a high price as usual, but yikes.

If I can be very confident that, at the worst, after erasing, Forscan would be able to at least program my one working master key, I would proceed.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

bikenut wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:22 pm
OK, just to make sure I understand this:
With only 1 key, the only way to add another 4 button key is to erase the one key and program 2 new ones using Forscan.
Is this correct?

I tried the ignition key and add another key options and both failed.
The 4 button new key, a chinese one, returns the correct code that it can be programmed.

I'm scared to erase the one working key.

The local Ford dealer says it will be over $300, plus taxes to get a new key programmed.
I live in Canada so I expected a high price as usual, but yikes.

If I can be very confident that, at the worst, after erasing, Forscan would be able to at least program my one working master key, I would proceed.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ERASE ALL KEYS until you can get a key that will successfully add to PATS spare key programming. There Must be TWO working and separate transponder signature keys known to PATS before a vehicle will be allowed to start!

I assume Your vehicle right now knows at least two showing in PATS Memory, if it is starting now, with the one key you have!

Erasing all and reprogramming is only necessary if you have one of the rare vehicles that has no Spare key add feature(mostly Australian and some Asian Vehicles) or you have reached the 8 stored key limit

As your vehicle looks to be North American, it likely has "Spare Key Add" available if it is not already enabled, this is the best way to check if a new key is programmable. A 1601 code is no guaranty that a key is actually programmable, it only means that a key transponder signature was read. It does not necessarily mean that PATS can store it!

The only sure way to get quality Keys is to use OEM key blanks!
Your Local Dealer seems very much of a rip off. My local dealer did one for my 2005 F150 back in 2013 (before Forscan had enabled PATS) for $85.00CAD

If the Chinese key failed to add during spare key add programming, then nothing better is likely to happen after erasing and adding them from scratch. Most likely all that will be achieved is a vehicle that will not start due to insufficient keys stored in PATS memory if the Chinese Key fails again to program and you only have one that programs.

I have had more trouble with cheap Chinese keys that return a 1601 code and then become unreadable or fail to program or that actually program and work, but return a "no increase in key count error" because of a transponder signature that is cloned from an OEM key and just as luck would have it I got a Pair of them with identical transponder signatures!

Forscan has advised that poor transponder key blanks have caused their biggest debug support request traffic during development of PATS and after!

Also the four fob buttons Program in an entirely different Procedure and have nothing to do PATS programming!

I hope this helps?
bikenut
Vehicle: F150 FX4, 3.5L Eccoboost, 2014

Post by bikenut »

Thanks so much for the reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. So glad I didn't proceed to erase the one good working key.
Forscan does return that there are 2 working keys, I only have the one when I bought the truck used a few weeks ago.
Luckily I can return the Chinese key for a refund if it did not program.
So, I will get an original OEM key, get it cut and hopefully be able to add an additional key,

You mentioned that there is a different procedure for a 4 button key. I didn't notice that anywhere in my search on this site.
My key has the remote start button which works for the truck.
Could you or someone point me to that?
I'll try to search some more for that, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again, Bill