Timing chain stretch on ‘19 f-150 3.5 ecoboost

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Perna00
Vehicle: Ford f-150 3.5 ecoboost ‘20

Timing chain stretch on ‘19 f-150 3.5 ecoboost

Post by Perna00 »

I tried searching the form on how to look for how much stretch was on the timing chain but all I found were results related to Mazda’s. I’ve got a 2019 F150 and the cam phasers are about to be replaced. I would love to avoid doing the timing chain if it is still solid without any stretch to it, but did not know which module/valve in Forscan in order to diagnose the condition of it on my vehicle. Any advice would be helpful.
hueypilot
Vehicle: 2017 Ford Police 3.5L

Re: Timing chain stretch on ‘19 f-150 3.5 ecoboost

Post by hueypilot »

There are 2 PIDs for timing chain. Desired timing, what the PCM wants the timing to be at, and actual timing as reported by the camshaft sensors. A perfect timing, both numbers will match. But, these PIDs are influenced by engine oil pressure and phasher condition. The best place to check is the timing chain tensioner. How far the tensioner piston is extended. Don't forget to check the plastic guilds. Worn, grooved or broken plastic, replace all components.
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Subaru, Volvo Bertone and two Motorcycles

Re: Timing chain stretch on ‘19 f-150 3.5 ecoboost

Post by Ecmbuster »

Every 3.5L Ecoboost seen has had one of two or both problems.

There is a reason why the VVT assemblies needs replacement and very time is a lack of service, abuse or a performance flash.

1. If VCT_INT_ACT1 PID reads +6 degrees or greater, proceed to Step 3.
2. If VCT_INT_ACT1 PID reads +5 degrees or less - this procedure does not apply.
Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
3. Replace the primary timing chain. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions! There's a special place for NOT following up!