2005 FEH HV battery codes and questions

Share your FORScan experience with other users
nash1
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

2005 FEH HV battery codes and questions

Post by nash1 »

Hi, I'm new to using FORScan and could use some help on diagnosing the hybrid battery problems in our 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

The original hybrid battery started throwing occasional P0A1F codes late last year. We paid Ford this summer to run diagnostics and their hybrid tech said the battery was on its last legs.

Greentec Auto has put three HV hybrid batteries in the Escape so far. Two ran the car before coding with P0A1F and P1A10, one that would not start the car. Battery number four should be here late next week.

I just bought a OBDLinkEX and installed FORScan on my laptop today. What can I do with FORScan to determine the battery's health, voltages, cell balance, etc? Is it possible to run onboard diagnostics for the HV hybrid battery with FORScan? I'm hoping to get more detail than my old OBDII bluetooth reader and Torque app on my phone provides!!

I'd like to be able to see what is failing in the battery and its health, and not just the generic P1A10 Battery Disabled and P0A1F "Battery Energy Control Module" errors that Torque provides. When Greentec Auto installs battery four, I would like to be able to see its health and some detail beyond the car starts and runs...

We have owned the 05 Escape Hybrid since it was new, and it only has 77,000 miles on it. I'm hoping we can get another 4 or 5 years out of it.

Thank you.
nash1

Re: 2005 FEH HV battery codes and questions

Post by nash1 »

Can someone tell me how to show information like VPACK and cell voltages and other hybrid battery information? Note the car does start and run in hybrid mode at this time, but did shut off once after backing out of the garage with "stop safely now".

FORScan shows the following codes:

===PCM DTC P1A10-FF===
Code: P1A10 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Battery Disabled

===BCM DTC P0A1F-20===
Code: P0A1F - Battery Energy Control Module

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

===BCM DTC P0A81-20===
Code: P0A81 - Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

When I run the BCM On Demand Self-Test, I hear the battery cooling fan run after a moment. It also reports the following DTC: Code: P0A81 - Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit

What does that mean when I hear the fan run?
nash1

Post by nash1 »

I figured out how to get the DTC live values for the BCM. Are there any DTCs beside the ones below I should be checking for the battery pack health? I plan on monitoring the V_PACK and BSOC to see how this battery self discharges.

AVG_SOC . . . 88.95%
BSOC . . . . . 52.20%
DELT_SOC . . 38.98%
DEL_MOD_V . 0.25V
V_PACK . . . . 344.21V
P0A1F_20_CM No Fault
P0A1F_27_CM No Fault
P0A1F_28_CM No Fault

The BCM self-test fails with DTC P0A81-20 - Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan Control Circuit. So I'm assuming one of the cooling fans is bad. Just curious, does this DTC code indicate which fan is bad?

After running the BCM and PCM self-tests the codes below show up. Is there someplace that says what the difference of a P0A1F-FF vs a P0A1F-20 is? Some sort of hybrid battery DTCs for dummies?

PCM P0A1F-FF
PCM P1A10-FF
BCM P0A1F-20
BCM P0A81-20

I'm trying to get a handle on how to check out a hybrid battery to have some confidence in it when it gets replaced. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
hueypilot
Vehicle: 2017 Ford Police 3.5L

Post by hueypilot »

A P0A1F-FF, FF at the end means "freeze-frame", this would be under what conditions the fault happen. Engine speed, vehicle speed, engine temp, etc. So the tech can duplicate the conditions when the fault happens. A P0A1F-20, the 20 is a subcomponent or test, within a larger system.
hueypilot
Vehicle: 2017 Ford Police 3.5L

Post by hueypilot »

I own the same vehicle as yours. Did the folks who installed the batteries update your vehicle's BCM with the latest updates from Ford's server? There were many updates from Ford for the BCM over the years. This must be done first! The BCM update lives in the PCM and BCM, which is part of the HV battery.

Very important the 12v battery is in good shape and the correct one. Don't use the one "Oh, this will work". The correct one is twice as much as the direct replacement.

A battery fan failure must also be addressed before any testing can be done. If one failed, replace both. Must be OEM!, and replace both with updated fans, or you'll have problems later.

Is the battery fan filter new, check it.

If the engine had stalled, you'll set code PCM P0A1F-FF.

Have you tried to run the rebalance with Forscan? This is a good stress test of the batteries. There is no "health check PID" of the HV battery. If the test fails to complete, you have a problem. A bad fan will fail the test. Fix fans first.

My 05 Escape hybrid has 300,00 miles. Change CVT fluid every 60,000 miles. Change HV battery filter every 5,000 miles. Updated both fans and BCM via Ford. I have my own IDS, I own an automotive repair shop.

Have you completed the MEC pump recall?
Ford cooling pump recall.JPG
Ford cooling pump recall.JPG (194.44 KiB) Viewed 642 times
nash1

Post by nash1 »

Keep in mind this battery along with its BCM is being replaced by Greentec under warranty in about a week, so I'll wait and try a rebalance on the new battery after it arrives.

The BCM shows 2007-11-22 on the Greentec HV battery. I don't know if Ford ever updated the BCM software on our original HV battery. We did pay Ford $175 about 3 months ago to have their hybrid tech do testing on the original HV battery to determine if it should be replaced. He said it need to be replaced. The original HV battery was racing the engine when backing out of the garage if the car sat for more than a day without being driven. But it never quit with "Stop Safely Now".

The two Greentec HV batteries that did start the car, both "stalled the engine" with "Stop Safely Now". I've not cleared codes on the current battery since Greentec did as part of the battery installation. So there is one stall from the SSN event, and from what you said, the cause of the PCM P0A1F-FF code.

The 12V battery was replaced in May this year, just as a precaution.

The battery fan filter is new, about 4 months old.

Ford has replaced the MECS a long time ago under the recall.

Thank you for your comments! I'm impressed you are still going on the original HV battery. I wish I had known about FORScan and the BCM rebalancing before we gave up on the original HV battery. I'm not sure it would have helped, but I doubt it would hurt anything. We have a 5% grade about a mile long nearby. My wife often (typically ever week or two) drove the Escape over that hill and normally used B mode on the transmission. Would that extensive regeneration have rebalanced the HV pack?

I did some testing with the car sitting one and two days idle. Each time after testing I ran the engine until the HV battery stopped charging and the gas engine shut off. I noticed the V_PACK doesn't directly relate to BSOC. It seems a bit elastic in the relationship.

Initial . . . . . . BSOC 52.20, V_PACK 344.21
next day KOEO BSOC 51.20 V_PACK 333.19V

initial #2 . . . . BSOC 49.50 V_PACK 348.21V
two days KOEO: BSOC 47.60 V_PACK 330.20V