My battery wont charge in my transit

Share your FORScan experience with other users
crazylegsjan
Vehicle: transit custom kombi 2.0 diesel 130hp 2017

My battery wont charge in my transit

Post by crazylegsjan »

Hello everyone

Im a bit lost here, my car is a ford transit 2.0 from 2017 2 battery option with added wheelchair lift in the back.

The batteries are 80amps 800cc agm if i remember correctly and it is set correctly in forscan but for some reason my car refuses tp charge them other then extremly slow.

I took this picture here and if you guys need more gauges to help me then let me know, i drove 140 km (86.9 miles) highway and it chaged 10% on the batteries

Can anyone help me ?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210722-184054_FORScan Lite.png
Screenshot_20210722-184054_FORScan Lite.png (469.51 KiB) Viewed 347 times
mikematt
Vehicle: 2018 Ford F-150

Re: My battery wont charge in my transit

Post by mikematt »

Not sure if this helps but you can check by unplugging the multi-plug wiring from the back of the alternator. Start and check the charge rate, if the rate is the same (12.7) or lower, you should buy a new alternator.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

crazylegsjan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Hello everyone

Im a bit lost here, my car is a ford transit 2.0 from 2017 2 battery option with added wheelchair lift in the back.

The batteries are 80amps 800cc agm if i remember correctly and it is set correctly in forscan but for some reason my car refuses tp charge them other then extremly slow.

I took this picture here and if you guys need more gauges to help me then let me know, i drove 140 km (86.9 miles) highway and it chaged 10% on the batteries

Can anyone help me ?
How old are those batteries. I see an age factor but not sure what it means? Not much experience with AGM batteries but if this was Conventional Flooded Acid batteries at this age, assuming these are original 2017 batteries, I would be expecting that the batteries are reaching the end of their usefulness.

The battery voltages shown in your gauges screen shot are exactly where they should be, assuming this was taken during the drive. also the battery current flow is only 5.00 Amps with no indication(unless the red colour is the indication) as to whether that is going to or coming from the battery!

That does not mean that you do not have an alternator problem but I would not be condemning the alternator until I had done load tests on each battery separately to determine battery condition first.

My 48 years experience(albeit with flooded acid batteries) tells me, as batteries reach their end of life, their resistance to charging increases and their holding capacity and charge level goes down! They may still start and run the engine and the loads and the only indication you have is the lights dimming at engine idle or in your case the wheel chair lift running slower, engine off or at idle! Then one day you come out to start and go and you have a no crank condition because the batteries have finally failed to hold charge at all.

I have had this happen, although not often, on a perfectly running machine and be shut off to fuel at the end of the day and go to start up to be put away and the battery had actually stopped taking charge and went dead while the engine was running

That is where I would be starting my Diagnosis, for what it is worth?
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
crazylegsjan
Vehicle: transit custom kombi 2.0 diesel 130hp 2017

Post by crazylegsjan »

Hello thanks for the replies. Yes the battery current guage is a weird one because as you say there is no real indication if its to or from the batteries.

My first thought is that my batteries are just old, the guage is in days so on the picture its 1633 days (4 and a half year) so i will try and see if i can find some new ones as a start