2010 FEH HV battery recharged, PCM replaced by Ford, now won't start Fuel injector codes and more

Share your FORScan experience with other users
Jieseldeep
Vehicle: Ford Escape Hybrid, 2010

2010 FEH HV battery recharged, PCM replaced by Ford, now won't start Fuel injector codes and more

Post by Jieseldeep »

I'm helping a buddy get his FEH working (I'm retelling this from memory as he's unavailable at the moment.) Long story short, he had a SSN message and the car wouldn't restart. DTCs said fuel injector faults (all 4 cylinders) he took it to Ford and they diagnosed it as a bad PCM and they ended up screwing up some other stuff while they had it. They told him that the HV Battery had bad cells and voltage had gotten too low to start. They said they had the equipment to charge it but it turned out that it wasn't working, so their shop guys stuck it on a Dyno and spun the tires 'to charge it' and told him that they think that might have screwed it up pretty bad.

He let them replace the PCM but when that didn't fix it and it looked like they were just going to keep throwing parts at it until something worked, he had it towed home and started researching online himself. He replaced the battery coolant pump, the fuel pump, and the ignition himself and disassembled the battery pack to test cells and suspected a couple bad cells. He ended up finding a 2008 FEH for cheap on CL and cobbled together a complete battery out of the best of the cells available. He bought the HS/MS OBDII cable and a high voltage charger recommended on one of these forums and charged the battery. It still won't start. We have the workshop manuals and hybrid service manual, but I wanted to make sure there isn't something easy that would explain the codes present (i.e. he didn't plug a wire in somewhere when he was putting it all back together.)

I've started following through the troubleshooting steps in the service and workshop manuals, but wasn't sure what order to proceed in. It seems to me that there's probably a poor connection, broken wire, or bent pin to blame somewhere.

Vehicle was purchased at govt auction and used to be a police car on a military base. The horn didn't work when he got it, so he rigged a wire up to pass safety inspection and get it registered here. In doing so, he discovered that they had been into the wiring harness and taped it back up so well that he didn't realize where they had opened it up at first. He has owned the car for a couple years without trouble and until the SSN happened, was very happy with it. Now he's about ready to push it off a cliff and not see it in his driveway anymore.

Friend is an electrician and I'm the more computer savvy friend who offered to help. ;)

Here's the log in case someone on here might recognize something that I don't and recommend a next step.

===PCM DTC P1000:00-2B===
Code: P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC P1000:00-2B===

===PCM DTC P1A0C:00-2B===
Code: P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Engine Disabled

===END PCM DTC P1A0C:00-2B===

===PCM DTC P1A10:00-2A===
Code: P1A10 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Battery Disabled

===END PCM DTC P1A10:00-2A===

===OBDII DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

===END OBDII DTC None===

===APIM DTC None===

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

===END APIM DTC None===

===ACCM DTC P0AFA:16-28===
Code: P0AFA - Hybrid/EV Battery System Voltage Low

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Module: Air Conditioning Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-TOTDIST: 0.0 km - Total Distance
-OUTTMP: 25 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-AC_CIC: 0.00 A - Electric A/C Compressor Input Current
-ACCM_CHVS: 0.00 V - Electric A/C Compressor High Voltage Supply
-ACCM_ITEMP: 27 °C - Compressor Internal Power Device Temperature
===END ACCM DTC P0AFA:16-28===

===ABS DTC C1018:00-28===
Code: C1018 - Regenerative Braking

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-TOTDIST: 0.0 km - Total Distance
-OUTTMP: 24 °C - External Temperature From Sensor
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 12.70 V - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 0.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
===END ABS DTC C1018:00-28===

===RCM DTC None===

Module: Restraint Control Module

===END RCM DTC None===

===TCM DTC None===

Module: Transmission Control Module

===END TCM DTC None===

===OCS DTC None===

Module: Occupant Classification System Module

===END OCS DTC None===

===BCM DTC C1862-20===
Code: C1862 - Contactor Circuit Failure

Module: Battery Control Module

===END BCM DTC C1862-20===

===PSCM DTC None===

Module: Power Steering Control Module

===END PSCM DTC None===

===IC DTC U2511-20===
Code: U2511 - CAN communication bus fault

Module: Instrument Cluster

===END IC DTC U2511-20===

===HVAC DTC None===

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===END HVAC DTC None===

===GPSM DTC None===

Module: Global Positioning System Module

===END GPSM DTC None===

===FCIM DTC None===

Module: Front Controls Interface Module

===END FCIM DTC None===

===FDIM DTC None===

Module: Front Display Interface Module

===END FDIM DTC None===

===ACM DTC None===

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC None===

===GEM/SJB DTC B2872-E0===
Code: B2872 - Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Generic Electronic Module / Smart Junction Box

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

This DTC indicates the module is not receiving data from one, two, or three of the TPMS sensors. Possible causes include sensor(s) programmed to the module are no longer present or no longer functioning. Make sure there are operating sensors in the wheels and they are trained to the module.

In rare cases, this DTC can be set by radio frequency interference with consumer electronics. Cell phone chargers, power converters and power supplies have been found to be likely candidates.

===END GEM/SJB DTC B2872-E0===
Jieseldeep
Vehicle: Ford Escape Hybrid, 2010

Re: 2010 FEH HV battery recharged, PCM replaced by Ford, now won't start Fuel injector codes and more

Post by Jieseldeep »

Here are the modules visible to me at the moment.

Should I be able to access PCM or BCM from here?
Escape Modules.png
Escape Modules.png (50.6 KiB) Viewed 903 times
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: 2010 FEH HV battery recharged, PCM replaced by Ford, now won't start Fuel injector codes and more

Post by tractmec »

I'm helping a buddy get his FEH working (I'm retelling this from memory as he's unavailable at the moment.) Long story short, he had a SSN message and the car wouldn't restart. DTCs said fuel injector faults (all 4 cylinders) he took it to Ford and they diagnosed it as a bad PCM and they ended up screwing up some other stuff while they had it. They told him that the HV Battery had bad cells and voltage had gotten too low to start. They said they had the equipment to charge it but it turned out that it wasn't working, so their shop guys stuck it on a Dyno and spun the tires 'to charge it' and told him that they think that might have screwed it up pretty bad.
That last sentence would be an understatement as what was done to this vehicle is unforgivable and this dealer should be out of business. In 47 years in the wrench pulling bis I have never seen any dealer screw up this badly and by your description, they weren't even trying very hard not to! This service department seems to have no Idea what they are doing!

I am afraid all I can offer you will be some semi educated guesses but first that ABS Regen braking error probably comes from the Dynamometer treatment this car got, especially if only one set of wheels were spun.
An ABS module reset may help if it will run without dealing with those PCM errors first.
I would suspect that all this started with The HV battery low voltage shutting down the HV system to protect itself and now because of their screwing around, much of the PCM systems have become corrupted.

Those 2 P1A PCM errors are what bother me and I suspect nothing will change until those are dealt with!
That will probably require making sure the both battery systems are up to full voltage as voltage DTC codes are the start of many problems like this!

In 47 years at this, I have had many batteries start a machine and run most of the day and come in and be shut down to fuel up and be totally dead, even show full voltage no load and go absolutely dead as soon as start up was attempted.

I don't know how common this is with Lithium packs but it has happened enough with Lead acid batteries that I would not discount it in this case. Some of those used packs may even show good until you try to pull any amount of amperage out of them.

I am afraid Forscan and an ELM327 Adapter may not help you much here unless there is a PCM module reset in the service procedures that will run!
I have my doubts because of the amount of corruption and insane service work this car has endured!

I would go here first in any case https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt and type in the VIN and fill out the security code and download the file so you have what it left the factory with at least.

Reprogramming PCM's is something Forscan has not been able to do to date (hence why you don't see them in the Configuration and Programming list) but have been working on it with version 2.4.0 and released it to beta testers briefly and then recalled it do to too many bricked modules.

They are currently working on 2.4.1 but have so far not released it even to beta testers.

I am afraid this is likely to be a Ford IDS and VCM2 operation only as far as PCM configuration and programming is concerned!

In some cars the BCM is incorporated into the GEM/SJB module. If you see a 726- address In the Asbuilt format list for the GEM/SJB that is likely were its codes would be!

Hope this is not confusing you and of some help!
DAN1000
Vehicle: edge, gas, 3.5, 2010

Post by DAN1000 »

What dealer did this?
dudeson14words
Vehicle: Escape 2.5l hybrid 2010

Post by dudeson14words »

Right off the batt just reading the first post, the P1000 code is okay it's just a mass reset across all modules and it hasn't been able to learn everything for emissions, it goes away after driving for a 100 miles os more, I have that code from resetting or clearing all modules at once, also you need a obdlink ex USB cable to get the full speed stability for programing as recommended by forscan, im using the second-best Bluetooth after the Russian one es327 or whatever, (theres a list here on that) i have the obdlink mx+ but i haven't tried it for programing yet, its not recommended but may still work and i saw VCMll for only like 120 $ and IDS can be licensed for short periods for cheaper
I do know that the battery system is different from a 2008 to a 2010, 2008 has a low voltage battery system and components and an A/C line going to the back to cool battery because it generated more heat and has a window vent in the rear side window, 2009 or 2010 its updated to higher voltage system and only needs an interior circulation fan for cooling if you only changed single cells and they are the same that seems okay, but its not safe to assume the battery cell is exactly the same, I guess it would only come down to voltage and amps, maybe not significant its really a shame that ford got rid of the 12-volt battery charge button for the hybrid battery when it gets too low, a real shame, then the dealer didn't just wait to borrow a legitimately working official charger, I have a 2010 FEH AWD, would be smart to find someone witha charger that works even if its DIY buit as long as it is verified to work and have the right voltages and stuff, also having a new acual 2010 battery pack isnt that hard to find

ALSO I just got n 1-year license with forscan and I also don't see battery control module in the program /config section, I wanted to check the battery age life setting and see if I could change it to make it use the battery more aggressively and get better mpg and EV only mode for longer, the fusions have that option for sure, and have mentioned it here, I'm not sure if the new version disallows access to the battery control module in program mode or if it was just for fusions, anyway I was able to go to service and do a battery control module self-test and I did a battery R balance procedure where it rns engine and charges battery up real high to balance all the cells, maybe that can force a run and charge if it has enough power to start, also, technically the engine maybe be able to be start by the cranck pully or somewhere on the belt to get it started, but thats just a theory, i guess if low voltage it wont ony wont try and start but will disallow it, the tech were working on the same theory but they did it in a way that forced the generator motor and traction motor to spin to get it to charge but realy the system wasnt in themode to charge and overcurrent may build up somewhere and burn something out, IDK. its crazy the dealer wont even try andmake it good and get some real enginnering involved form ford but i guess its not suported or cared about, there is a possible claim they damged it,
eddo99
Vehicle: Ford Fusion 2.5 Hybrid 2010

Post by eddo99 »

How is the progress? Have you tried changing the the battery date codes yet