Teach-In of replaced power steering unit

Share your FORScan experience with other users
HeikoMK2
Vehicle: FOCUS MK2 2.0 2005

Teach-In of replaced power steering unit

Post by HeikoMK2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:34 am

Good morning.
Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.
I have tried unsuccessfully to find a solution for my problem by browsing the internet and this forum several evenings. I hope you can give me an advice.
We have a Ford Focus MK2 model year 2005 with a 2.0 liter engine.
I have so far successfully replaced the defective servo pump unit with a new one. The servo support works now again.
The error message power steering defective is still present.
Before the repair and now also afterwards I have made the diagnosis with my OBD adapter and forscan.
So far this works quite well. I can access a lot of information.
I bought this adapter at Amazon: GLLC Forscan ELM327 USB V1.4 including switch HS/MS
Forscan (currently without license) runs on a laptop with Windows 8.
Before the repair the module of the servo pump unit was not visible in the system. I have blamed this on the defective unit. Now after the repair the module is still not visible. I read that the new module has to be teached in the system. In the Ford workshop this is done with IDS.
I am also not sure what the power steering module is called in my case. I have found different information on the net: SECM, PSCM, EPAS.
In any case, the modules shown to me by forscan are all assigned to other functions.

Is there a possibility to do the teach-in with forscan?
If so, what do I have to do in particular?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Heiko

fordman
Vehicle: fiesta 04 1.4 tdci

Re: Teach-In of replaced power steering unit

Post by fordman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi the module if I remember correctly is called EPAS on that model if it is a diesel. The next time you connect forscan to the car make sure that the vehicle profile is deleted for that vehicle if one was saved last time. If it did not see the EPAS before it will not look for it again if loaded from profile. Once forscan has found all modules on the HS and MS-can you should be able to perform a module test on the EPAS. When it runs the test with the engine not running you will hear the pump power up. It should then show any fault codes up. Not at my laptop at the moment but I think it's under the test icon to perform the above.

HeikoMK2

Post by HeikoMK2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi Fordman.
Thanks for your help. This worked so far. :)
The module is called EPS.
Now I'm getting DTC Code B2477-E0 "error in module configuration" in EPS module.
I can start module configuration (as built format) in forscan but I don't have a configuration file.
Do you know where I can get this file?

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:10 am

Hi try this link. Sometimes I have to try the link a few times to get the VIN page.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

HeikoMK2

Post by HeikoMK2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am

Hi.
Thanks for your quik reply.
Following this link I get one *.ab file.
Is this one file for the complete vehicle?
I have tried to load the file into the EPS module. But I aborted when I got a warning that the file contains more information than the module should have.
If I understand this correctly, the information from the file is also listed on the Motorcraft page. In this list I searched for the addresses of the ESP module, which forscan shows me. Unfortunately I cannot find these addresses in the list.
Do I have a general misunderstanding here?
Or do I have to search for a specific file for the EPS module?

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi as I understand the as-built file contains the information for most of the modules on the car. I had a go at programming my 2006 focus 1.8 tdci. I know it slightly different because I have not actually change my steering pump.
I downloaded my as-built file from ford. I entered eps module configuration ( as built format) in forscan. I selected my ab file from load all. I then got the message number blocks in file and module doesn't match. I selected yes to continue. I then selected write all. Select yes to next message and yes again to the next one. Forscan then showed the writing progress and then finally ask the switch ignition off and on. I have had no problems from doing this with my car. Hope this helps.

HeikoMK2

Post by HeikoMK2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi.
I couldn't write the as built configuration on the EPS module.
After ignoring the same messages you had I still got a writing error in Block 1.
What confuses me a bit is that the addresses of the module when I read it out in forscan do not match the addresses in the as built file. With the software "asbuilt compare" I can look at the information in the as built file.
As I said, the addresses do not match and especially in block 1 it is noticeable that the as built file contains 3 data for the address 730-01-01, but in forscan there is only space for 1 data block.
I have the feeling that the matter is unfortunately more complicated than I had hoped.
Do you have any more ideas?

HeikoMK2

Post by HeikoMK2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm

I searched a bit further and found a thread where a user had a similar problem

I'm afraid this is going to have to work the same way for me. Probably the only thing left for me is to go to the Ford dealer.
O_zone wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:58 am
hi all,
well the issue was solved by modules substitution and reprogramming via IDS - previous abs module was connected to engine compartment harness and reprogramming procedure started, at data erasing step socket was repluged on new module and procedure continued further with success...