iPhone App Under Vehicle and PCM

Any issues related to FORScan application
dallastigers

iPhone App Under Vehicle and PCM

Post by dallastigers »

On the iPhone app under vehicle and then PCM area is the "part number" listing the hardware or the software part number(firmware) of the PCM? What is "Strategy" if "Part number" is listing the software?

Neither of the two listed for my car match the car's current software part numbers (as listed on a Ford site), and the FABJAN9 seems almost like its custom made as other strategy names I have seen come closer to looking like a part number. Car (Ford Taurus) was bought used, so I don't know everything done to it previously. I am tying to figure out why I have been seeing PCM turn on the EGRVR duty cycle when ECT has not even reached 90 degrees F yet (once ECT at 68 degrees F and EGRVR started).

I was just wanting to see if PCM has been flashed to current software or was modified somehow by previous owner and wanted to know exactly what the items below are describing.

From my Car using Forscanlite (under Vehicle):

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: 4F1APD
Strategy : FABJAN9
FORScan
Site Admin

Re: iPhone App Under Vehicle and PCM

Post by FORScan »

This is probably because the way FORScan displays these info are confusing. We are going to improve this in the future versions.

Strategy - part of PCM firmware that contains algorithms. Calibration - part of PCM firmware that contains data. Multiple calibrations may exists for the same strategy. Part number is a spare part number. All these numbers are inter-connected, hower the whole issue is quite tricky and hard for understanding.

So, in you case:
4F1APD is a "short" format of part-number that keeps only prefix and suffix. PCM keeps it in memory in this format, the middle part ("-12A650-") is missing here. So full part number would be 4F1A-12A650-PD.

FABJAN9 is called strategy, but in fact it is not exactly so. Strategy is the first 5 symbols of it - FABJA. And FABJAN9 is the calibration file with full name FABJAN9.HEX.

These numbers (4F1A-12A650-PD, FABJAN9) match to the PCM firmware installed on Ford Taurus 3.0 2V 2004 model year with automated transmission. So, it is not a custom. But this is not the latest calibration file for this model. Latest one is 4F1A-12A650-PF (FABK2NA). So if you visit a Ford dealer and ask to upgrade your firmware, they should be able to do it .
dallastigers

Post by dallastigers »

Thank You. That is very helpful.
dallastigers

Post by dallastigers »

I did just notice one thing. The part numbers that I found as current do not include the one you list. I also remember thinking it was strange that during the process of selecting car at the motorcraft service website that I was never asked to choose between OHC or DOHC engine. I thought maybe it just listed all firmware for the different models, but since it does not match what you say it current I am not sure.

I am attaching a screen print of what website told me contained a current software version.

About Your app (which has been very helpful)
One thing I have noticed with the CSV file that your app creates is that it is not automatically imported into multiple columns into Excel or Numbers dragging and dropping file or opening from iPhone mail into Numbers app . Excel in desktop is easier to do opening within the app and then changing delimiters to semi-Colon from comma (or after drag and drop doing text to columns), but on phone Numbers app keeps it all in column A even though files using comma and Tab are automatically spread to columns. Weird thing is that the iPhone mail app quick look/preview sees columns correctly but when opening in another app puts it all in one column. It's more of an issue with Numbers and Google's sheets, but it makes it more difficult to see info quicker on phone.

Are you supposed to be able to see saved drives in app without having to be linked to car? If I want to go back and looked at graph of a drive that I saved to app and can see it saved in iTunes I cannot watch until I go back and connect app to car.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 15996 times
FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan »

dallastigers wrote:I did just notice one thing. The part numbers that I found as current do not include the one you list. I also remember thinking it was strange that during the process of selecting car at the motorcraft service website that I was never asked to choose between OHC or DOHC engine. I thought maybe it just listed all firmware for the different models, but since it does not match what you say it current I am not sure.

I am attaching a screen print of what website told me contained a current software version.
We have double checked and it seems the latest calibration for your vehicle is 4U7A-12A650-CTB (FABK4NZ.HEX). You can visit a dealer and upgrate your 4F1A-12A650-PD to the 4U7A-12A650-CTB. But again, the 4F1A-12A650-PD is valid calibration for this model (just outdated).
dallastigers wrote:About Your app (which has been very helpful)
One thing I have noticed with the CSV file that your app creates is that it is not automatically imported into multiple columns into Excel or Numbers dragging and dropping file or opening from iPhone mail into Numbers app . Excel in desktop is easier to do opening within the app and then changing delimiters to semi-Colon from comma (or after drag and drop doing text to columns), but on phone Numbers app keeps it all in column A even though files using comma and Tab are automatically spread to columns. Weird thing is that the iPhone mail app quick look/preview sees columns correctly but when opening in another app puts it all in one column. It's more of an issue with Numbers and Google's sheets, but it makes it more difficult to see info quicker on phone.
Ok, we will check.
dallastigers wrote: Are you supposed to be able to see saved drives in app without having to be linked to car? If I want to go back and looked at graph of a drive that I saved to app and can see it saved in iTunes I cannot watch until I go back and connect app to car.
You need to save the drive at the end of trip in native format (FSL, not CSV). Then you should be able to open offline, not connecting to the car.
dallastigers

Post by dallastigers »

I have been out of town. Thanks for answers.
You need to save the drive at the end of trip in native format (FSL, not CSV). Then you should be able to open offline, not connecting to the car.
I have been doing that save (not the save to csv) and can see files with the fsl extension under iTunes sharing when hooked to my computer, but when I go inside house I can only review the saved drive I was first reviewing in car and then for only 5 to 10 minutes before everything goes away. I try to select the saved folder and only see a row of pixels change color right above button. No saved drives or even a menu until I go back to car and reconnect to car and as long as connected to car I can review Any saved drive I want.

Now I am testing iOS 8.3 if that changes anything.
FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan »

FSL is FORScan format, it is not recognized by other softwre... So you can use it in FORScan only (any version of it - FORScan Lite for iOS or FORScan for Windows).CSV is portable format and should be used if you want to transfer & import the data to other application.

The following sequence should work for FSL:

1. Run Dashboard, record the trip, save it
2. Now the file is in your phone, you can copy it to your PC via iTunes or by email (if you press Send by email instead of Save), or may not copy if you don't want.
3. You can open the file later (using the same device), open FORScan (offline mode is ok), go to Dashboard, press the item Open (folder icon) and select the FSL file. You can navigate the file using navigation pane (most right button of the toolbar)
4. You should be able to transfer the file to PC and open it in FORScan for Windows, but if you have Mac, it quite troublesome because there is no version for Mac yet so you have to use Windows wrappers.

Another problem is that you cannot open saved file on another device. E.g. if you saved the file on iPhone but want to watch it on your iPad, there is no way to pass file to iPad. We are going to fix this problem in one of nearest versions
dallastigers

Post by dallastigers »

My issue was rewatching a saved drive on Phone. It only works for a little while after saving of a drive to phone.

I paid a little more attention yesterday as I was testing a new part in car. The app is crashing, and once that happens I cannot access any saved drives (it acts like nothing is saved including logs and vehicle) The menu for saved drives does not come up at all until I reconnect to car and then all saved drives and saved PIDs are there again and can be accessed while connected to car. Once I leave car I again will only be able to access them for 5 to 10 minutes before crash. In past it must of crashed while I put phone down or had quickly checked another app and just thought access to saved drives timed out as I did not see crash. Yesterday I saw it crash multiple times and confirmed on phone's diagnostics screen that app had crashed.

I have been using beta iOS (8.3) since I purchased the iPhone Forescanlite app, and I do have phone set to allow Apple to send crash information to developers. It's got to be something with 8.3 or maybe because I did upgrade instead of restore when installing 8.3. I may also later copy my saved files of drives using iTunes on computer and then delete and reinstall phone app and then use iTunes to get older saved drives back to phone app on same phone after I save at least one new drive after reinstall and start ee if app crashes while reviewing it.
FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan »

dallastigers wrote: I have been using beta iOS (8.3) since I purchased the iPhone Forescanlite app, and I do have phone set to allow Apple to send crash information to developers. It's got to be something with 8.3 or maybe because I did upgrade instead of restore when installing 8.3. I may also later copy my saved files of drives using iTunes on computer and then delete and reinstall phone app and then use iTunes to get older saved drives back to phone app on same phone after I save at least one new drive after reinstall and start ee if app crashes while reviewing it.
If iOS was upgraded after FORScan Lite installation, it is recommended to delete and then re-install it. If application was installed after the upgrade, app re-install most likely will not help.

Can you please send us the crash reports (instruction can be found here: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19#p3047)?