Linux version wanted

Any issues related to FORScan application
Luzemario
Vehicle: Ranger Diesel 3.0 2005

Linux version wanted

Post by Luzemario » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello folks!

There are too much dsicussion about the issues of Wine impearing the implementation of the protection scheme needed to add extended licenses to FORScan. This issue is not priority with Wine in the meantime due to the FOSSish awareness of the developers and the quantity of users affected.

But on the other hand, there are people like me, that do not use Windows at all, or bought a laptop with no Windows OS (i.e. Dell) and need to use FORScan. I guess most people in this situation does not like to run a (possibly cracked) Windows VM only to get FORScan registered.

So, I kindly ask you for a Linux version. There are plenty of copy protection schemes for Linux, even open source ones. A quick search on Google yeld several results on the matter.

There are several hardware interfaces which already have Linux compliance due to the nature of Linux USB/Bluetooth drivers, so it would not be a great issue to start testing with Linux. I am volunteering right now to help with testing.

The last resort, maybe hated for some, would be adopting the licensing scheme used by MultiECUScan, tied to a hardware interface in the Multiplexed version.

I really am interested on a Linux version, but unfortunatelly do not have the skills needed for help with programming, so I am spreading the word for discussion.

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Linux version wanted

Post by FORScan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 am

Thanks for the post.

As you may know, we work in conditions of serious shortage of resources. So we have to set priorities for tasks and address priority ones first. We position FORScan as a mass product, so a priority directly depends on the task's popularity. As far as we understand, percentage of FORScan users that use Linux is not very significant. So we cannot raise priority of this task for now.

But in middle-long term perspective we plan to port FORScan to other platforms. We are not happy with Windows 10 at all, and Microsoft doesn't allow to license Windows 7 anymore. So we consider Linux and MacOS as next targets for porting. FORScan was initially designed as a cross-platform project so porting to a new platform will only take several dev/months (that's too much for us anyway).

Automate
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Post by Automate » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Has anyone tried to run FORScan on ReactOS?

Its an open source / free Windows OS clone that runs many Windows apps.
https://www.reactos.org/

Luzemario
Vehicle: Ranger Diesel 3.0 2005

Post by Luzemario » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:21 pm

FORScan wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 am
Thanks for the post.

As you may know, we work in conditions of serious shortage of resources. So we have to set priorities for tasks and address priority ones first. We position FORScan as a mass product, so a priority directly depends on the task's popularity. As far as we understand, percentage of FORScan users that use Linux is not very significant. So we cannot raise priority of this task for now.

But in middle-long term perspective we plan to port FORScan to other platforms. We are not happy with Windows 10 at all, and Microsoft doesn't allow to license Windows 7 anymore. So we consider Linux and MacOS as next targets for porting. FORScan was initially designed as a cross-platform project so porting to a new platform will only take several dev/months (that's too much for us anyway).
Hi FORScan,

Thanks for your quick reply. I fully understand the diffculties you all have. The objective of this post is to be a focal point on this issue, since there are dozens of re-re-re-requests about FORScan not registering in Wine scattered by the forum.

I kindly thank you and all the team for this software. Projects like this should be marketing objectives for the manufacturers to help increase their sales. I am wondering why no one of them has seen this way yet.

Despite I have low programming knowledge, please count on me to help in developing. I will work hard to help where possible. My work is being SysOp at a datacenter, so I am on the "other side" of the dev cycle... :lol:

ziggy471
Vehicle: 2017 Mustang GT Premium

Post by ziggy471 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:49 am

Really not sure why a Linux version is needed, just installed in CrossOver and Wine and both can import a trial license just fine.

For Wine, just run the following:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/.forscan winecfg
{Under Applications, Windows Version, Select Windows 10 and click OK}
WINEPREFIX=~/.forscan wine ~/Downloads/FORScanSetup2.3.23.beta.el2.exe 
WINEPREFIX=~/.forscan wine ~/.forscan/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/FORScan/FORScan.exe 
{Generate and Load License File}
For CrossOver Office, just install in a Windows 10 Bottle, Generate and load the License File.

For both the Hardware ID were the same for me.
Screenshot_2019-07-01_23-05-02.png
Screenshot_2019-07-01_23-05-02.png (103.35 KiB) Viewed 170 times

If you need any help, just let me know, it's not like Forscan is written in APL, REXX or Series 1 assembly, I really don't miss those days.

Z