FORScan for OSX in 10 Steps

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
reynold6
Vehicle: F150/ 2018

Re: FORScan for OSX in 10 Steps

Post by reynold6 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Anyone receiving an error "No ELM found. Please check connection and try again." I am using a Mac and downloaded the drivers. I am using a OBDII Interface USB V1.5.

VicRattlehead
Vehicle: 2015 Roush Stage1 Mustang EcoBoost

Post by VicRattlehead » Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 am

exploder,

im new to this forscan thing and ive got a MacBook and don't have any windows machines so I was trying to find a way to make this work. I found this post and wanted to add something to it. regarding the 14 day trial, there is a way to extend the trial period farther than the 14 days. Poking around the net I came across a YouTube video that explains it very well. You do need to download another program, "PlistEdit Pro" but its "free" they give you a registration name and serial number in the description. I just did it and it works. What you do is basically tell the program a new '14' day date. I just changed 2020 to 2025 and now instead of 14 days ive got 1839 days, 5 years and 14 days.

this is the video I followed, and it works nice. its just an alternative option instead of buying the program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0EiVyiBS2s

Exploder wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:46 am
Crossover v18 Update - 2018-10-16
I just wanted to update this post for the latest version of Crossover.
Crossover has been updated to v18. If you have not purchased you can using the checkout CX36 to get 36% off the purchase.
https://www.codeweavers.com/store/?utm_ ... dium=email
Offer ends Oct 23, 2018 at Midnight.
Personally I bought the single with no support, and was outside of my 30 day satisfaction guarantee so that was just my luck.
I purchased the update (1 yr support) as there might be some more updates still to come.
The Upgrade went without issue and FORScan started and appears to work as expected.

Original Post
I wanted to post that I have FORScan running under OSX using the Crossover App.
The Crossover App has a cost of $39.95 (SEP-2018) but there is a trial version which works for a short period of time.
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac
The app is simply a build of Wine which is free, but needs to be complied to run on OSX, so this is a simpler way to accomplish this with minimal learning.FORScan is free, and the usefulness is AMAZING but it is nice to be able to run it on a MAC without Bootcamp or Virtualization like VMWare (more expensive).

I hope that this helps some users and can be published as a method for users to use the product on OSX with minimal expense and time invested. This is the least I can do for the help that I have gotten from the Forum.

1) Download FORScan (Latest Version, known working with 2.3.16 Beta as of SEP-2018)
2) Install Crossover
3) Start Crossover
4) Click on "Install a Windows Application" at the bottom of the screen
5) Type in "FORScan", Press Enter, Select "Unlisted application for FORScan", Click Continue
6) Click "Choose Installer File...", browse to the installer file you downloaded in step 1, Click Continue
7) Click Install
8) Installer will run, Follow the standard FORScan Installer Screens (Basically Accept the Defaults and click Next), Click Finish, Click Done in Crossover
9) In the Crossover App you will see the "FORScan" listed
10) Double-Click to Run

Notes:
  • Highlight and add to Favorites to put in top bar for quick access.
    When it is running you can do a normal "Keep in Dock".
    FORScan will run as it does in Windows.
    If you need to copy any configuration files to the "C Drive", right click on FORScan under bottles, Open C: Drive.
    You can copy a License File for this also.
    You will need to generate a new license file based on the hardware ID.
    Crossover can be buggy at times, and sometimes hangs when you exit the program, this sometimes requires a Force Quit of Crossover, Wine and FORScan from the OSX Apple Menu.
    This was tested with a WIFI ELM327, with MS/HS Switch and worked as expected when the MAC was connected to the ELM. I have not tested with USB ODBII Device
    I have personally used this and it works, but as always backup any modules if you are changing them in the even of a crash.
Exploder
2016 Sport, Unleashed Tune, Other FORScan Mods

Dubb20
Vehicle: 2017 Ford Fusion energi titanium

Post by Dubb20 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 am

I am trying to add the extended license to Forscan through crossover. I am on a MacBook Air and have not been successful. I have followed instructions stated above like opening c drive making a folder and copying the download to it, but when I open Forscan I see the license folder but nothing in it. Wish I had a windows laptop right around now. Any suggestion would be great.

themishmosh
Vehicle: ford exp 2020

Post by themishmosh » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 pm

I bought a bbfly wifi Forscan adapter on Amazon. I can't seem to get it to connect in Forscan. I have my Macbook Air connected to it using wifi. It has an IP address which I entered in the config settings in Forscan. Always says "No Elm327 found. Check your connections and try again." almost immediately. Thoughts? Is there a wifi Elm327 adapter that is known to work?