2018 F-150 XLT auto start/stop, odd operation.

Any issues related to FORScan application
Twasnow
Vehicle: Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SuperCrew, 2018

2018 F-150 XLT auto start/stop, odd operation.

Post by Twasnow » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:45 am

Hello folks,

500km on brand new truck.

I installed the trailer brake module and activated it, also for I decided to try the global Windows, which work fine.

In the same day as these mods for some reason (likely unrelated) my auto start stop, began functioning strangely.

Initially it works and shuts down at a stop, but one second later it immediately turns back on for no reason related to the driver (brakes held, climate control off, steering wheel straight)... I removed the global Windows ( to set the BCM back to default) but it didn't change anything.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking this may be a battery issue (not taking full charge voltage dripping immediately after shutdoelwn).

Please any other suggestions would be appreciated. Dealer wants the truck for a full day, and I don't want to be without it (it is a work truck and I'd have over an hour's work transfering stuff to another truck)

Is there a way to have the truck tell me why it is restarting??

Thanks!!

Vladsky
Vehicle: 2017 Ferd PHEV

Re: 2018 F-150 XLT auto start/stop, odd operation.

Post by Vladsky » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am

Twasnow wrote:Hello folks,

500km on brand new truck.

I installed the trailer brake module and activated it, also for I decided to try the global Windows, which work fine.

In the same day as these mods for some reason (likely unrelated) my auto start stop, began functioning strangely.

Initially it works and shuts down at a stop, but one second later it immediately turns back on for no reason related to the driver (brakes held, climate control off, steering wheel straight)... I removed the global Windows ( to set the BCM back to default) but it didn't change anything.

Any ideas?? I'm thinking this may be a battery issue (not taking full charge voltage dripping immediately after shutdoelwn).

Please any other suggestions would be appreciated. Dealer wants the truck for a full day, and I don't want to be without it (it is a work truck and I'd have over an hour's work transfering stuff to another truck)

Is there a way to have the truck tell me why it is restarting??

Thanks!!
Howdy;

The Owner's guide has the complete laundry list of conditions that inhibit Auto S/S. And yep, battery state is one of them.

It's odd to see this in a vehicle so new, though, but batteries do fail.

You can use Forscan to log battery voltage for a time period, hopefully capturing the event.

You can also try a BMS (Battery Monitoring System) reset ( under the wrench icon ). Refer to: https://www.f150forum.com/showpost.php? ... ount=15471

I don't recall seeing a way to directly view what decisions the S/S algorithm makes when it decides to restart. This may be a dealer-only procedure / test-methodology using IDS. Access to the Workshop pubs would tell you, as those procedures are detailed there.

However - being so new it may be prudent to just let the dealer diagnose - warranty and all. You at Least would want to have it Officially documented against any future problems. And perhaps get a FREE new battery, lol. Da?

Best o' luck!

Salut
Vlad

HDJeff
Vehicle: Ford F150, 3.5 liter Ecoboost, 2018

Re: 2018 F-150 XLT auto start/stop, odd operation.

Post by HDJeff » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi

I had a 2016 F150 XLT, and now I have a 2018 F150 XLT. In both vehicles and low mileage, Auto Start/Stop always works poorly for me. In the 2016, it would usually turn off at a light, only to turn back on almost instantaneously. When I bought the 2018 I thought there would be an improvement, but it turns off, and then back on frequently within a second or so. USELESS! :x

That is why the FIRST thing I did with Forscan, was disable auto start/stop. I am so much happier with the truck now! :D

Best Regards,
HDJEff