Activation needed for as-built manipulation?

Any issues related to FORScan application
fuxxy
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 5.4

Activation needed for as-built manipulation?

Post by fuxxy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:48 am

I just received my ELM327 in the mail today and got to play with my truck for a bit..

I plan on using FORScan for 3 purposes:
[*]Program an additional key for my truck. I only have one key. I have a replacement, it just needs to be programmed.
[*]Manipulate the as-built data to enable aux-in on my stock radio.
[*]Read from and decipher the MS-CAN bus data for integration into my car PC.

I completely understand the need for limiting access to the PATS programming. That's a no-brainer.

Why is the extended license needed for as-built data manipulation? There's no real security risk in that, is there?

That being said, two months of access is really not a long time for doing development work. Is it feasible to open up the as-built section?

sheltonfilms
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L Gas USA / 2013 Explorer LMT

Re: Activation needed for as-built manipulation?

Post by sheltonfilms » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Most likely so that normal people don't get into ABD and screw up there vehicles messing around with settings they know nothing about.

On your stock radio do you have an AUX button? Do you have a port? I don't think the AUX is an ABD modifiable variable. I think it maybe 100% hardware based.

If you have the AUX button but no port you need to get an adapter like this:

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-43-ford-a ... 4-aux.aspx

DanMc85
Vehicle: Fusion, 2.0L GTDI, 2014

Post by DanMc85 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:49 pm

fuxxy wrote:I just received my ELM327 in the mail today and got to play with my truck for a bit..

I plan on using FORScan for 3 purposes:
[*]Program an additional key for my truck. I only have one key. I have a replacement, it just needs to be programmed.
[*]Manipulate the as-built data to enable aux-in on my stock radio.
[*]Read from and decipher the MS-CAN bus data for integration into my car PC.

I completely understand the need for limiting access to the PATS programming. That's a no-brainer.

Why is the extended license needed for as-built data manipulation? There's no real security risk in that, is there?

That being said, two months of access is really not a long time for doing development work. Is it feasible to open up the as-built section?
You can always request another license at the end of the two months... I believe the reason behind the limited timeframe is eventually FORScan may choose to charge money for the extended license once the application is out of or further along in the beta process. Just a guess...

roth
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Focus

Post by roth » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:38 pm

You can write any as built with IDS in manual mode (although FORScan is quicker and easier). The hard part is decoding and modifying it it. As Built files I can provide for any VIN but there is no tool to decode them.

roth

sheltonfilms
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L Gas USA / 2013 Explorer LMT

Post by sheltonfilms » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Actually ClockWork wrote a program that compares ABD using ETIS information see what Bits/Bytes of the ABD corresponds with features. Throw in 20 cars, 10 with navigation, 10 without and ask it for the abd data difference for cars with navigation and it will narrow down what needs to be changed.