PATS 2008 Ford Escape

Any issues related to FORScan application
sleepycowboy87
Vehicle: Escape, 3.0L., 2008

PATS 2008 Ford Escape

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

I just got my ELM cable and new to FORScan have 2.3.41 beta. Today is this 1st time to communicate with the car. I replaced the instrument cluster long ago but never took it to the dealer. In read about PATS online and I'm supposed to be able to start the car. I have the extended license and can enter PATS and wait 12 minutes. I erased all keys and added my 2 back in. But I have tried several times to do IC module configuration and failed. I erased my keys again and entered them back in again with the same results. I'm still learning and surprised that I got this far. I cleared all DTC codes but still get a few. I have PCM P1000-FF, PCM P1260-FF (theft detect), the rest OBD II, OCS, ABS, RCM, PSCM are all clear none for codes. But IC has B2477-60 module configuration failure and B2141-60 The instrument cluster is not configured correctly, run the Programmable Module Installation option from the diagnostics menu. I tried for over 2 hours. My laptop and car batteries were both running down. I'll recharge and try again tomorrow. I had a friend try to help me long ago by bypassing a relay to get the fuel pump to run. I need to empty the old gas. We never could. It's possible a relay, or fuse or fuse block was damaged. I've had rats in this car and repaired several wires for speed sensors. But none of the others appear damaged. I will check under the hood tomorrow. Any assistance will be appreciated. p.s. Everything worked fine before I replaced the IC. But I had to beat on the dash to get the red security lock to unlock. I'm trying to get the fuel pumps to run and the starter to engage. The mechanical and electrical stuff I deal with. But I'm not an IT guy.
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Re: PATS 2008 Ford Escape

Post by Ecmbuster »

2008 Ford Escape 3.0L - Replaced instrument cluster
This is all dependent IF the instrument cluster fits the Year, Make and Model.
"beat on the dash to get the red security lock to unlock"
If this is the replacement Instrument Cluster - There is a term AYFKM

PCM P1000-FF - Monitors not set yet
PCM P1260-FF - Theft detection

IC B2477-60 - Programming error within Vehicle ID block (VID)
IC B2141-60 - Programming error within Vehicle ID block (VID)

PATS control functions are in the Instrument Cluster.
With one key, enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Wait the alloted time.
Select “Parameter Reset” and exit Security Access when completed. Leave the key in the RUN position.
Go the the PCM (if this function is available).
Select a PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) reset and follow all instructions.
Return to the Instrument Cluster.
2 keys are now required.
Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Wait the alloted time.
Select “Ignition Key Code Erase” and follow all instructions with the correct number of keys to be programmed.
Disconnect the scan tool from the DLC (Data Link Connector) and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds. (With IDS)
Cycle key 1 to OFF, then RUN, and back to OFF.
Insert key 2 and Cycle key 2 to RUN.
Last edited by Ecmbuster on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

The instrument cluster was ordered by a local parts store from the local Ford dealer and they had the mileage, VIN, Year, Make Model, everything. It bolted and plugged up no problems. I just need it reconfigured to match my keys and pcm. I had cleared the codes but maybe not the KAM reset. I'm rechecking the fuse underhood tomorrow and charging the battery back up (11.5 volts now). But definitely thanks. FORScan will take some getting used to but if it works I'll keep using it. Normally I just need to read and clear codes.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Read the post again with this step:
Select “Parameter Reset” and exit Security Access when completed. Leave the key in the RUN position.
The point about the disconnect of the scan tool is with IDS - Remember that but not sure if your model requires the scan tool connected.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

My keys added in with the scanner attached. It told me to turn key off 10 seconds then run for 6 seconds and back off. A 2nd key had to be entered within 5 seconds of removing the 1st and repeat. I have to have 2 keys programmed or it will not start. Funny it keeps telling me to turn the key to run but don't start. And if it started I'd be fine. No fuel pumps or starter because PATS still has me locked out. But I wrote down everything and will try tomorrow. I don't remember a parameter reset but I'll look. I did see IC reset but it's not applicable and doesn't work on mine. And I do remember seeing KAM and such. Navigation is taking a little getting used to. I've used Snap On scanners like SOLUS several times but never for PATS. Thanks.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

I believe this is called Type E security or keys. It has no parameter reset available. The erase and program keys is supposed to be enough. I believe this part works. But then I still have the same codes listed above. So I try module configuration. Which makes me wait another 12 minutes then turn the key off or on every minute so as directed. And it says often more than 1 try is needed and asks if I want to try again. So I either go in circles or eventualy get tired and stop. Then erase keys again and start all over. I've tried it several ways but none have worked. I also did not find a way to clear or erase KAM. My menu does show reset for pcm and reset for IC. But neither works says service procedure not supported. I keep reading for DTC B2141-60 "The instrument cluster is not configured correctly. Run the Programmable Module Installation option from the diagnostics menu." I believe that may be a key but I haven't found that option yet. I've seen "As Bought" options. But I have nothing to transfer or to write in. And I still haven't gotten the DTC PCM P1260 to erase. Obviously either I'm not following directions correctly or I'm lost or the IC and PCM aren't speaking today. Thanks for any assistance.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

This is a North American 2008 Escape and NOT the Escape HEV but sequence is the same
From 2008 to 2010, the PATS type is "C" that has the IKT as the PATS key type.

DTC B2141-60 "The instrument cluster is not configured correctly. Run the Programmable Module Installation option from the diagnostics menu."
Means it needs a flash update to match that IC to the car.
It's all about matching the version to your model.
There may be a mobile Tech in your area that can run the PMI for the next step.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

Supposedly it was flashed with the mileage and all info. But that was a few years ago. The car has been sitting. Maybe I can send it back off. I don't know of any mobile techs but I can check. The dealers don't even want to mess with this, I've tried scheduling and hauling it to them. They quote in the $1200 range if they don't have to change IC, PCM back out and rewire the car could be twice that. Today things went different. First time FORSCan asked me to flip the switch while retrieving codes. But it would only erase the keys not program them back in. Then I remembered the doors had to be closed. The back hatch was up. So started over but had the P1260-FF back in. Pulled battery cable and gave up. So now my keys don't even operate the door locks. I never noticed a difference before. They would erase and add right back in. Thanks.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

2008 Ford Escape P1260-FF
Ford record this as "Theft Detected - Vehicle Immobilized".
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detects a violation of the PATS system.
Something else is incorrect / not communicating or defective.
As for the dealer estimating a "$1200.00" range and "rewire the car" seems strange without seeing it.
Battery / system voltage is critical at all times during any diagnostic session.
That is why a good and sufficient battery charger needs to be attached to the battery at all times.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

Charged the battery with cables off overnight. But now I still have zero keys stored and can't add them back in. Tried Erase and program. Lets me go thru the sequences but never stores them. Wait 12 minutes try Program Ignition Key and just says PATS failed. Everything is communicating thru the DLC to me I have PCM part # 8L8AALB, strategy MBFF1A3, hardware type LBO-C55 and ICM part # 8L8T 10849-FD, strategy 8L8T-14C026-BD, software version 2014-02-10, 151200.5. That doesn't mean that the ICM and PCM can communicate with each other. If anyone wanted to steal this car they could just use a tow truck or steal it one piece at a time. Keys will turn in the ignition. Power comes on. I can open or close windows. The keys worked fine yesterday so the problem isn't the keys. I'd just go fishing. But the pond is just as hot as the car. And mosquitoes in both places. Quite possibly I turned the key off after adding the 2nd key. Before I checked the ok box on FORScan and entered. Yesterday I never checked the keys to see if they quit working . I know the box said zero keys after erasing then would show 2 keys saved. Now it just shows the erasing then says programming complete 100%.