PATS 2008 Ford Escape

Any issues related to FORScan application
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Re: PATS 2008 Ford Escape

Post by Ecmbuster »

Post images of the scan and at the Modules Tab
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
sleepycowboy87
Vehicle: Escape, 3.0L., 2008

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

I know that I have a button that looks like a floppy disk (bottom of my FORScan page) that allows me to save data in FORScan. But I do not know how to retrive that data or how to add it to a post here. I believe that I could save it somewhere on my laptop and retrieve it. The posting is what I am unfamiliar with. I looked at Motorcraft service sight and you are correct about Type C PATS. And it referred me to #8 if any module ICM or PCM had been replaced. Same as what you posted "parameter reset ...etc." I do have PCM reset and ICM reset but if I enter that function it says Procedure not available. I also have program options like "AS BOUGHT" but trying to enter that I get a warning. And since I can't write anything there and have nothing to copy to there it would be pointless. I am confused as to why I could do ERASE AND PROGRAM KEYS a few days ago and now I can't. And until yesterday FORScan never asked me to change the switch on my cable. Which all that did was let it retrieve data from trans, steering, a/c and other stuff not applicable to what I'm trying to do. I did buy a cable 1st from SECONS that is used with FCOM and got my extended license from here. But the drivers never applied to that cable. So I used OHP to get a new cable. My license still has the old hardware # from the previous cable. But since I can access PATS functions I don't believe that is an issue. I don't know how to change the hardware info anyway the page doesn't show it after I added the key and the license was validated. If I can get the keys programmed back in or if I could erase KAM maybe I would feel better. Possibly my keys were never erasing a few days ago and now I have them erased. That would be progress. I have no idea why the keys won't program back in. They worked the locks on the buttons. Now they only turn the ignition on= the dash lights up and I can shift. So I could still load it on a trailer and haul it to a dealer or remove the ICM and carry it. I would rather get the fuel pumps to turn on to drain the tank without removing it. Or better if it could just crank once and drive onto a trailer. But if I could do all that then I could probably reset PATS. Removing the battery cables overnight did not erase all codes. Or they came back as soon as I hooked the cables to the battery. The only new one dealt with not having any keys (or 2 keys) programmed. I leave the DLC connected while programming keys. If I disconnect it says procedure cancelled. Possibly I'm not following directions exactly as written but as I read them. I can hook it back up tomorrow and retrieve/save any data. I appreciate your help. Not a lot of traffic on this site. My old boss has a Snap On scanner that may have more functions. But he never deals with PATS. He has the full package software/hardware and annual updates all makes except some foreign makes like Volkswagon. I would have to learn that from scratch as well. I do see an attachment link below this post so possibly I can navigate myself thru. Thanks again.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

Data txt files for DTC and modules. Attached below. If you wanted a photo from phone it would take a little longer. I have $20 tracfone. I don't know if the files have uploaded
Attachments
startupforscan6162001.txt
startup
(952 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times
DTClogstartup6162021.txt
DTC log
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
CO)NFIGURATION6162021.txt
Configuration (modules only had a list no info)
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Use this Windows application
Send a shortcut to the desktop and task bar.
Snipping Tool.JPG
Snipping Tool.JPG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Name all your images and post them.

I do question the cable, but the data indicates that it works.
Using your part number for the instrument cluster, this link may be of value to check your version. Call them.
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__ ... 0849N.html

With the battery disconnected "short / connect both cables together" I was never a proponent of that but a "last choice".
The oddity is the Parameter or KAM reset. One or both should be be in the menu.
There have been rare occasions when an older version of FORScan has worked.

Delete your profile as well. Start again.
Profiles.JPG
Profiles.JPG (115.01 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Read this piece as well.
2008 Escape PATS.pdf
(99.32 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Reset the Instrument cluster and the PCM.
Exit FORScan and disconnect the adapter
Cycle the key once and reconnect the adapter.
Enter FORScan again.

Procedure #2
2 OEM keys required. Cycle key 1 to RUN. Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module and follow instructions.
Select “Ignition Key Code Erase.” Follow all instructions, deleting all keys.
Add the number of keys following instructions, when ready......
Disconnect Scan Tool and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds. (My IDS has that message - try either way)
Cycle key 1 to OFF, then RUN, and back to OFF.
Cycle key 2 to RUN.
Start the vehicle.
Post your results
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

I have the snipping tool on my desktop. I am unfamiliar with it. But willing to try. I have read the pdf file and will print tomorrow before starting. I do have menu options for pcm reset and icm reset but says procedure unavailable so I'm thinking it is just this vehicle or PATS type and not my FORScan version. I do have 2 cables but the 1st from SECONS doesn't work and has no switch, adapter Czech cable China. So the only problem I'm having following you is the reset the instrument cluster/pcm. Much like the parameter reset. I was understanding ERASE AND PROGRAM KEYS was the option to reset on these. I do not know what IDS is. I'm on Dell Inspiron laptop with the version of FORScan posted earlier. Windows 8.1. I do not have a Service manual for the car. I have several 1998 and 2001 from Ford Service but they worked on older versions of Windows. So I'm not ready to trace wires just yet. It is possible the dealer sold me the wrong version but it's the same dealer that gave me the quotes and said that I couldn't do it without them. There are no keys programmed to erase. I have 2 keys, both previously started the car. They have buttons on them and chip inside. The snipping tool will "take shots of the screen as I go along"? And you may be able to correct my error by informing me. I can try programming the keys by disconnecting. I read several procedures saying just that. But my FORScan wasn't saying to. And when I disconnected it stops my PATS access makes me start over. But if I actually get keys programmed and they start the car then I no longer need PATS access or even the extended license. Thanks. Lot of info to process. Will report tomorrow I should be available to work on it. But I never know my schedule.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

You computer is set to the correct time and date, correct?
FORScan is a licensed version?
Ford IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) = Factory Diagnostic hardware and software.
IDS_Splash.jpg
IDS_Splash.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 169 times
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

Yes. Correct time and date on laptop. Extended license valid until 8/11. After that I have to reapply to get a new one. Or can't access PATS. Hopefully I'll be done before then. Usually I just scan, repair and erase. On vehicles prior to 05. I deal more with EEC IV and hardly ever even have to scan those. F150-F350.I can download older version of FORSCan or even buy software if needed. I already have the cable for F-COM but went with this instead. F-COM was $395. When I bought the cable it said not made in China. OK the DLC adapter wasn't but has USB cable much like a phone charger possibly USB2 on other end and it was made in China. And talking to them after purchasing, I had to translate from Czech. So here I am.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

I unhooked the battery cables and put a jumper wire between them. After I had cleared codes and deleted profile. But when i started back up the P1000-FF, P1260-FF, B2477-60, B1213-60 show back up. I configured the IC and hit write = the config code went away. I can clear the IC and not cycle the key then B1213-60 doesn't show up. I'm not concerned with any codes except the P1260. I tried several ways to clear KAM but haven't. Maybe I'm not getting a good connection between my jumper wire and cable connections. Or maybe I need to unplug the pcm. I can unplug the IC easy enough but it doesn't help. I took several screenshots but until I get rid of P1260 I don't think I can add any keys. I tried just ADD IGNITION KEYS but as soon as the wait is over I get PATS FAILED. If I try Erase AND ADD KEYS then all it does is wait then erase and gives me the same instructions as before. If I unhook the cable after the 12 minute wait FORScan stops. My dash has no lights by then. Maybe the Escapes shut off at 10 minutes even with the key on. Or with PATS access there are no lights. I do have 2 keys. PID Spare is enabled. If I try to reset PCM or IC, I get "PROCEDURE IS NOT SUPPORTED". Nowhere does it say parameter reset or clear KAM. I tried as FORScan instructed and followed the pdf and tried your instructions. I believe I'm locked out because KAM P1260-FF. Either that or I'm not really getting PATS security access to add keys. I'm still trying to determine why I can't erase KAM by disconnecting the battery cables and jumping them. They can't really touch unless I pull the battery and battery box. I left it disconnected and a new jumper installed overnight tonight. When I messed up the sequence or quit the other day after erasing keys/before adding keys I haven't been able to enter any new keys. So I'm trying to clear KAM. And then repeat what I did today. I have the cable for F-COM but I'm not ready to pay $395 and have the same results. I would if I knew it would work. I still think FORSCan will work. I still have some ideas before I go to other options. Maybe an older version has parameter reset or will let me do KAM erase+PCM reset+IC reset.
Attachments
Tools menu.PNG
Tools menu.PNG (48.26 KiB) Viewed 131 times
ignition key.PNG
ignition key.PNG (53.47 KiB) Viewed 131 times
erase and program key.PNG
erase and program key.PNG (54.85 KiB) Viewed 131 times
After disconnect scan tool.PNG
After disconnect scan tool.PNG (56.26 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Post a photo of your keys. By chance, did or does your Escape have an aftermarket remote starter installed?
As for the jumper wires, here's an example.
Jumper_Wires_Clips.jpg
Jumper_Wires_Clips.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 127 times
The only reason and NOT the best solution to disconnect both battery cables, is to delete "capacitance learned values".
Using jumper wires will never delete eeprom saved values.
Leave the USB cable plugged in at all times.
Make sure there is a power supply attached to the battery at all times.
A failed PATS key programming error means that either the Instrument Cluster has failed or the PATS reader has failed.
A quick test for the reader is this tool.
Immobilizer Test Ring.jpg
Immobilizer Test Ring.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 127 times
The LED will blink quickly and is a sign the transponder ring is creating the high frequency voltage to wake up the key transponder.
The sure test between the Instrument Cluster and PATS reader is an oscilloscope. There will be a Tx (transmit) and Rx (receive) signal between those two components. If the key is accepted, the PATS system will authorize the PCM to start.
PATS Circuit.pdf
(96.73 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Use the schematic to test the wiring with a resistance meter. All components need to be disconnected.
sleepycowboy87

Post by sleepycowboy87 »

My jumper wires are like the photo. No remote starter. Car was demo when I bought it. Had maybe 10k miles but no add ons completely stock except for tires. Wife wrecked it 2x before ran off. Photos of keys in attachments. They both worked the locks a couple days ago. I checked both before they got erased. I'm still not following you on how I can clear the codes from the pcm. Disconnected battery and placed jumper wire from + to - battery cables. Yes, I have a 10 A charger on the battery auto shutoff. "Leave USB cable plugged in" I am not disconnecting from my laptop just the DLC. The keys have never been replaced, came with the car Nov 2007. I believed the keys to be erased and programmed back in just 2 days ago but I'm not sure if either actually happened or FORScan just said that it did. I could go through the menu and add keys in after erasing. Now I can't. I'm not trying to be dumb. Maybe I get confused or don't completely understand because all of this is new to me. I understand the keys have chip and there is a transponder/transceiver in the car that works with the IC. My problem may not have been with the IC to begin with. It could have been the transceiver module or some other part not letting the PATS read my keys. Either key made no difference. It would start fine one time, maybe not later on, the red padlock never unlocked. Slap the top of the dash once or twice and the chime changed and the lock unlocked= car would start. Then it got worse so I replaced the IC. I did not have a scanner back then. And still don't have a Ford service cd but should have already gotten one. I saw an oscilloscope in FORSCan but I have never used one. OK the Immobilizer test ring will let me know if the transponder works. If not then it needs replaced. If it works then the keys need to be replaced or possibly I have the wrong IC. And disconnecting the battery, jumping the cables isn't going to clear my code? I'm checking 36 the 5A fuse again tomorrow. I can check the wires at the IC (disconnected) and transceiver module. Resistance to what? Each end, like a plug wire? I've done that too. I know continuity is one end to the other. And I've checked resistance to GROUND before or between 2 points to see if it's in an acceptable range for sensors and switches. But I had a chart in a service manual. I have digital voltmeter that does that. All I see right now is the possibility that I changed the wrong part and created a larger problem. Or was sold the wrong part intentionally by a dealer who I refused to let do the work. Either way it can't be undone only solved. I'm not making sense so I'm retiring for today.
Attachments
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (331.38 KiB) Viewed 120 times
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 120 times