Forscan apps?

Any issues related to FORScan application
GoodVibes1
Vehicle: Ford, 3.5,Ecoboost, 2020

Forscan apps?

Post by GoodVibes1 »

I am an android guy in most of life. But I have an iPad Mini I want to use for dash board gauge monitoring

Both system apps list as Forscan lite. Is that because the app does not have as much function as the Windows version, or is there a Pro app version that I can't find?

Second, the iOS version does not show a gauge dash board. Does the iOS version have that function?
GoodVibes1

Re: Forscan apps?

Post by GoodVibes1 »

I thought I was asking a couple of simple questions. Have I stumped the hive?
lenko
Vehicle: 2015 Lincoln MKC, 2006 Mustang GT, Saleen 530 HP

Post by lenko »

Not much you can do with Lite. No there is no Pro version of the app.
Buzz to the queen bee here and ask her. She creates them all: contact@forscan.org
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

Does "not much" include a gauge dashboard for iOS like android?
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

If I say PRETTY PLEASE, can someone tell me if the iOS app has a gauge dashboard?
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

I never dreamed a total noob like me could stump the vast knowledge bank here, with a simple app question. Should I pat myself on the back? Is there a forum badge for something like this? :lol:
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Post by Ecmbuster »

GoodVibes1 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:02 pm
I never dreamed a total noob like me could stump the vast knowledge bank here, with a simple app question. Should I pat myself on the back? Is there a forum badge for something like this? :lol:
It appears you require some type of special attention.
There actually is a "special badge" and the term noob doesn't realy fit the catagory.
Press the
press_any_key.jpg
press_any_key.jpg (12.18 KiB) Viewed 548 times
to continue.

Interestinlgy, you refer to yourself as "an android guy" and assuming an absolute "force of knowledge" the bet is, you may have tried the Android version. Better yet, attempted the Windows version. If for some unknown reason you didn't attempt the push the ON button with an Android or Windows version, you get badge number two.

Press the
Any Key.jpg
Any Key.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 548 times
to continue

Between Windows, Android and iOS, there is no "dash board guage monitoring".

If you have the absolute need for "dash board guage monitoring" maybe Torque Pro is the version you need.
Let's see how far that application moves through the vehicle networks installed on modern Ford models.

The Android device puts the iOS device to absolute shame when it comes to any automotive application (and there are plenty) with added applications to: share between devices, capture / send / produce video images and recall / plot saved .xml files that require a special pardon from the United Nations Assembly.

There is one notable feature the iOS device does have and compared to the Android version.
It has the best notification vibrator.

Now for the "vast knowledge bank". What's your contribution?
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

I have had the Torque app for many years and have it running. Thanks for the suggestion.

But I read in another post that Forscan was better. I was wanting to try it out. I am a noob to Forscan. I am trying to learn. I apologize for that. I was evidently was mistaken as to what part of the purpose of this forum is.

But if you could help with your vast knowledge of buttons. What is the gauge dashboard that I see in the android Play store Forscan app? Link for refence. You have to scroll over a few pics to see it
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... orscanlite
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Post by Ecmbuster »

Let me explain the differences.
Torque Pro only connects to the Engine Controller and in very small instances, other controllers that people have researched.
Torque Pro uses multiple screens. PIDs can be added to multiple screens with different characteristics. It is still mainly connected to the ECM (PCM).
If Torque Pro is used on one vehicle and PIDs chosen, accessing another type of vehicle, those PIDs may not even fit. SAE PIDS will fit to an extent between Ford, GM, Stellantis (Former FCA Group), BMW, Mercedes ets. etc.
Depending on the version, multiple profiles can be created but doesn't work perfectly.
Torque Pro can be manipulated and have additions
ie:
PID: 223278
Full name: Average distance between regenerations
Abbreviation: Avg Dist between Regenerations
Maximum: 10000
Device type: km
Equation: (((A <8) + B) <8) + C

And it works. The problem is "no bi-directional control".

FORScan is completely different. FORScan will access the entire network such as PWM, ISO, CAN Hi and CAN Med.
Each time FORScan has access to a General Ford or Mazda model, a complete profile is created. The network is interrogated and saved.
With FORScan, you have access to the entire vehicle (depending on model year and if it doesn't have a protected network).
The menuing system with FORScan is completely different and only fits one screen (depending on data length).
The menuing system that is looked at and possibly saved, is for one controller only. Never multiples.
FORScan can not be manipulated like Torque Pro.
If the PID is not in the list: It either does not exist, has not been accessed via FORScan development.
If a function is not on the list: It either does not exist, has not been accessed via FORScan development.
FORScan will access one controller at a time. Access to the controller and requesting PIDs is also one at a time.
In other words, it reads the controller and writes the screen.
If more than one PID is requested, each is read and writes to the screen and follows the next PID in the list.
If there is reason to notice sluggish responses, blame the interface at the DLC and the processing speed of the reading device.

Also be aware, that Android, iOS and vehicle that have Bluetooth or WiFI can cause havoc with connections if not properly addressed.
During as diagnostic session, generally the WiFi is turned off to eliminate any "outside" interruptions with a laptop.
Scan devices such as Android and iOS are no different.
The Best connection is hard wired with any type of programming but the choice of Bluetooth needs to be the best.
My opinion, WiFi is too disruptive considering the WiFi infrastructure, too many cell devices and laptops screaming and yelling all day long.

I made a "readme", access the link through PM:

Post your results and contribution.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
GoodVibes1

Post by GoodVibes1 »

Ecmbuster wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:47 am
Let me explain the differences.
Torque Pro only connects to the Engine Controller and in very small instances, other controllers that people have researched.
Torque Pro uses multiple screens. PIDs can be added to multiple screens with different characteristics. It is still mainly connected to the ECM (PCM).
If Torque Pro is used on one vehicle and PIDs chosen, accessing another type of vehicle, those PIDs may not even fit. SAE PIDS will fit to an extent between Ford, GM, Stellantis (Former FCA Group), BMW, Mercedes ets. etc.
Depending on the version, multiple profiles can be created but doesn't work perfectly.
Torque Pro can be manipulated and have additions
ie:
PID: 223278
Full name: Average distance between regenerations
Abbreviation: Avg Dist between Regenerations
Maximum: 10000
Device type: km
Equation: (((A <8) + B) <8) + C

And it works. The problem is "no bi-directional control".

FORScan is completely different. FORScan will access the entire network such as PWM, ISO, CAN Hi and CAN Med.
Each time FORScan has access to a General Ford or Mazda model, a complete profile is created. The network is interrogated and saved.
With FORScan, you have access to the entire vehicle (depending on model year and if it doesn't have a protected network).
The menuing system with FORScan is completely different and only fits one screen (depending on data length).
The menuing system that is looked at and possibly saved, is for one controller only. Never multiples.
FORScan can not be manipulated like Torque Pro.
If the PID is not in the list: It either does not exist, has not been accessed via FORScan development.
If a function is not on the list: It either does not exist, has not been accessed via FORScan development.
FORScan will access one controller at a time. Access to the controller and requesting PIDs is also one at a time.
In other words, it reads the controller and writes the screen.
If more than one PID is requested, each is read and writes to the screen and follows the next PID in the list.
If there is reason to notice sluggish responses, blame the interface at the DLC and the processing speed of the reading device.

Also be aware, that Android, iOS and vehicle that have Bluetooth or WiFI can cause havoc with connections if not properly addressed.
During as diagnostic session, generally the WiFi is turned off to eliminate any "outside" interruptions with a laptop.
Scan devices such as Android and iOS are no different.
The Best connection is hard wired with any type of programming but the choice of Bluetooth needs to be the best.
My opinion, WiFi is too disruptive considering the WiFi infrastructure, too many cell devices and laptops screaming and yelling all day long.

I made a "readme", access the link through PM:

Post your results and contribution.
Thank you for the follow up. Its very detailed. Looks like I have a lot to digest.

My F150 dash gauges are analog and tiny. The only thing I want the app for (as opposed to the Windows version) is monitoring parameters when towing, like engine and tranny temps and pressures, voltage, and boost, in a more easily readable size.

Does that info come from different modules making it unavailable to display at once?

The other thing I like about Torque is, I get that I can get that info in a pure digital gauge form. The Forscan documentation you sent has analog gauges with smaller digital readouts (I think). Can Forscan report in a pure digital gauge format?