1.6 TDCI - Can't reset all adaptations

Any issues related to FORScan application
djaychela
Vehicle: Focus C-Max 1.6TDCI 110 2004

1.6 TDCI - Can't reset all adaptations

Post by djaychela » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:21 pm

I've been using Forscan 2.2.7 beta with my 1.6 TDCI Ford C-Max (2004), mostly successfully. However, it has a knocking sound on acceleration, which I think may be because learned values are incorrect - the reason being that it was misprogrammed with the wrong injector codes when someone changed the injectors about a year ago - they put the new codes in the wrong slots, and therefore all cylinders were wrong. This has been corrected by me (amongst many others issues!), and it now runs better, but it has a moderately loud "diesel knock" on acceleration - this stops completely when you let off the throttle, and it's not a mechanical noise - the engine is very quiet mechanically.

So, I wanted to try to reset all adaptations to force the PCM to learn everything from scratch, to see if this helps (or it may need a new injector?), but when trying to do so, the process fails at 2%, saying that this function is "not supported" and I should contact the developers. I have a screenshot of the error, but it's not with me (I'm currently at work on a lunch break)

Any ideas? For that matter, how do you test if a given injector is at fault? Do they need to be removed and bench tested?

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: 1.6 TDCI - Can't reset all adaptations

Post by FORScan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:35 am

djaychela wrote: So, I wanted to try to reset all adaptations to force the PCM to learn everything from scratch, to see if this helps (or it may need a new injector?), but when trying to do so, the process fails at 2%, saying that this function is "not supported" and I should contact the developers. I have a screenshot of the error, but it's not with me (I'm currently at work on a lunch break)
We have sent you a test version and short instructions via PM.
djaychela wrote: Any ideas? For that matter, how do you test if a given injector is at fault? Do they need to be removed and bench tested?
Our opinion is that if an injector is suspected, we believe the best way is to check injectors at stand. We don't know a reliable way to find a faulty injector just by using computer diagnostic (although it can be used to make a decision about necessity of bench tests).

Regarding individual codes: they describe some initial injector parameters that are not stable and may change during their life quite significantly. So even if the individual codes do not match exactly, PCM should be able to adopt real injector parameters and supply normal work of the engine IF injector is okay. Majority of Ford TDCI engines of this generation have no special procedures to reset injectors' adaptations and learn new ones. Usually adaptations are reset when you program new injector codes (even if you re-enter exactly the same codes). Also, it is recommended to provide certain learning coditions right after, this post can be used as a reference: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... t=10#p1355

But again, if injector is worn or faulty, we don't believe any computer stuff will help.

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:58 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply - makes a lot of sense. I'm a fairly experienced DIY mechanic, but there isn't much reliable info about for a lot of the electronic side of things - I've read people saying that these engines don't need the injectors coded, etc... I -think- the car has become quieter/more drivable after a 20 mile or so drive, but I can't be sure. It would be interesting to find the limits of the adjustment or its methodology, but I guess stuff like that is hard to come by?

Edit: Just got the test version, will do it as soon as I can (Thursday afternoon)

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:41 pm

djaychela wrote:It would be interesting to find the limits of the adjustment or its methodology, but I guess stuff like that is hard to come by?
In fact it is really hard to find any information about it. Just some pieces, for example you may ask google for ActyonA0A08002.pdf - this document explains some TDCi principles, such as C2I, MDP, pilot injection and so on (as far as we understand the document describes Delphi fuel system).

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for the link - makes for interesting reading!

micky83
Vehicle: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 110cv FAP - 2009

Post by micky83 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:52 pm

FORScan wrote:
We have sent you a test version and short instructions via PM.
I might have even I, kindly, this test version and short instructions ?

:oops:

Thanks...for your kindness and availability .

djaychela

Post by djaychela » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:55 pm

No need - it appears that the reason the function appeared was that it was a bug, and the engine doesn't support it.