PATS Key Programming

Any issues related to FORScan application
jarkuw
Vehicle: Mazda 6 GH 2.0 mzr 147 km 2008r

Re: PATS Key Programming

Post by jarkuw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi.

I have some trouble with add third key in MAzdA 6 GH 2008r. In my car i have 2 program key in memory. I have only one oryginal key. I want to add third spare key but in programm FORSCAN 2.3.9 to 2.3.12 i dont have option SPARE KEYS PROGRAMMABLE. There is only option POSSIBILITY SPARE KEYS PROGRAMMABLE - and its only enabled or disabled choice. IS there any chance to add 3 key without erase programmed two keys?

jarkuw
Vehicle: Mazda 6 GH 2.0 mzr 147 km 2008r

Post by jarkuw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 am

I finaly programmed my KEY. I bought used oryginal key and replace transporder. FORSCAN do it wery well and quickly. My transporder from china not workin corectly. Thanks to forscan team for helping to solve this problem.

pacer245
Vehicle: au3 6cyl 4l 2002

Post by pacer245 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:33 am

Hello. I have a 2002 ford falcon. I have 2 keys stored but i cant get security access to match the pcm to the bem. I have done the key program procedure 3 times with the same result.

BoatCaptain
Vehicle: 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L Gas

Post by BoatCaptain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 am

rtoddharris wrote:I am trying to use the PATS key programming to program a second key. I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer (U.S.) and have only one working key. I got a blank PATS key cut from a locksmith that has OEM markings. I used the "Ignition key programming" and after multiple attempts, I always get "programming failed". I am certain the new key is the correct one so I am not sure why it is not working. I did not use the "Ignition key erase" as I was afraid it might not program since it failed the "ignition key programming". Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.
This is almost exactly my situation as well.

I have a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis. I once had 2 working keys and a fob. One of my keys broke last week, so I no longer have a spare. Down to 1 key.

I obtained a genuine Strattec replacement key (part no. 597602). The locksmith I took it to for cutting verified it should be able to be programmed to the car. He will do it for US$35, which I guess I will do if I can't get it programmed myself. Wish I'd known that was an option 4 years ago, when I paid a Ford dealer over US$80 to add the second PATS key. Oh well.

I verified the Strattec key is indeed compatible, by getting the B1601 DTC from PATS when trying to start the car with the new (but un-programmed) key.

However, as above, I am able to access the PATS security module (complete with 12-minute wait) but get "programming failed" when I try to program the new key.

FWIW, I am using a BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBD II adapter. Not sure whether it has a genuine ELM Electronics interface chip. I asked, but they haven't responded yet.

I didn't read all 8 pages of the thread yet, but it seems like the fellow I'm quoting was only able to add a new key by erasing the existing 2. I really don't want to do that, as I'm afraid I'd then be left with NO keys that work and no ability to program them.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 am

BoatCaptain, we would recommend to send us FORScan debug info (instruction is on Contact Us page). Many PATS of this generation do not really support the Program key function (only Erase and Program). In some cases we can find this out from logs. Also, using Erase and Program keys function, if Program Key doesn't work, is not safe if at least one of 2 keys was never programmed before. Even if you have B1601 code, it is only 90% but not 100% warranty.

BoatCaptain
Vehicle: 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L Gas

Post by BoatCaptain » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks, log files sent.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks for the logs. In your case PATS returns error "Unsupported command", so it seems it doesn't support the Program key command. Only Erase and Program. So as we mentioned above:
...using Erase and Program keys function, if Program Key doesn't work, is not safe if at least one of 2 keys was never programmed before. Even if you have B1601 code, it is only 90% but not 100% warranty.
So if the risk is not acceptable, it may be good idea to visit a locksmith.

FlashToPass
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Expedition - Eddie Bauer - 5.4

Post by FlashToPass » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm

I found thru another source that for some of the American models, the PATS self programming only works if you have 2-already programmed PATS keys available. You can put the 1st key in the ignition, turn ignition on, turn ignition off, remove 1st key, insert 2nd already programmed key, turn ignition on, turn ignition off, remove 2nd key, then insert 3rd blank key, turn ignition on, wait 30 seconds, turn ignition off. This is supposed to program the 3rd key. Obviously if you do not have 2-already programmed keys you cannot use this function. If you lose one of your already programed PATS keys, you are stuck. The poster recommended that when you purchase a new Ford, you need to get an additional key made and use this method as soon as possible so you are never without 2-already programmed PATS keys. I think the next time I get a new Ford I will take this recommendation and get the 3rd key as soon as possible.

martin123
Vehicle: transit connect 2003 1.8 tddi

Post by martin123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Just thought I'd chip in, a good few times I've had failure in programming keys and pump modules, I tried from timed access to the other,and had success.

plk1803
Vehicle: Mazda 323F

Post by plk1803 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi,

I have Focus MK2 '06.

I have 2 key programmed already for my Ford but I have only one key - not master.
I bought spare key and I would like to add it to my car but every time I'm getting error "Programming PATS key failed".

Is there a way to add third key?