No
40%

Total votes: 5

sanchezadann
Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 3.7L V6 Flexfuel

DISABLING MYKEY (EASIEST WAY 15 MIN) *JULY 2019

Post by sanchezadann » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 am

----THIS WAS DONE ON A 2014 Ford F150 3.7L V6----
I'm sure it's the same with other Ford vehicles. This is LITERALLY what dealerships or other companies would do to remove mykey. They would make you buy a blank key, cut it, program it, and remove mykey with the new key from the settings. You don't need an "admin" key. All you need to do is program a new key and use that key to clear all mykeys

To all those that have only 1 original key and has "MYKEY" enabled.
-Speed is limited to 80mph
-Volume is limited to 14
-Radio stations are blocked
-Radio cuts off if seat belt is not on

I wasn't able to find any bit of information on how to properly disable mykey so I decided to write this post for anyone in need that is having the same issue I was having. It sucked. You DON"T have to pay out HUNDREDS of dollars to Ford dealership or other companies. This took me literally 15 min (including the 10 min security clearance wait time which you'll read about more down the post).
It's really simple to remove. All you need are the following items:

1)Laptop with Windows (preferably latest version)
2)Download the latest version of FORSCAN ( 1 year license $10 or you can get the 2 month free trial)
3)Blank transponder key that is already cut ( Purchased this key on Amazon for $20.00
and got it cut at a store called Liberty Lock & Safe for $4.00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS ... UTF8&psc=1 )
3)Bluetooth OBD II ( This is the one I used, cost $10.00 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Kitbest-Bluetoot ... 87&sr=1-10 )

Total coast: $34.00 - $44.00 (If you decide to purchase the 1 year license)

After you have everything listed, begin by connecting the OBD II to your vehicle and connect your laptop to it.

Open FORSCAN and on the bottom left of the program you should see something that looks like a connection (if you put your mouse over it it"ll say "Connect to vehicle"). Click on that and answer the questions it asks about your vehicle. You'll know its complete once it stops loading information on the program and the screen stays still.

After that is complete, on the left had side you'll see 8 big pictures. Click on the wrench (It will say "Service Functions" if you put your mouse over it).

Click on "BdyCM PATS programming" and on the bottom left click on the play icon and hit "ok". Make sure your PROGRAMMED key is in the ignition and set to ON but do not have the vehicle running, then hit "ok" again. Leave the key as is. Do not turn it off the vehicle or remove the key.

Once inside the PATS, you are going to click on "Ignition Key Programming". After that it will tell you set ignition to off position, remove current programmed key, insert new UNPROGRAMMED key into the ignition, and set it to the on position. Again, DO NOT turn key all the way that it turns on the vehicle. It is crucial that the engine remains off. You are only going as far as turning on the electrical system of the vehicle (right before it turns over to start the engine)

Once the above step is completed, the program will have to do a security check which will take appx. 10 min (could take a little more or a little less). Once complete your new key will be programmed the system will ask you to cycle your key (turn completely off then back to the "ON" position) then it will tell you to turn engine on (REMINDER: this is all being done with new key).

Now that you have your new key programmed and the vehicle on from the previous step, go to your settings on your dash, then scroll down to "MYKEY" and clear all mykeys. This will clear all programmed keys that have MYKEY enabled.

Essentially all you're doing is adding a new programmed key into the vehicle PATS system. In my situation, when I purchased my F150 I only received 1 key form the dealership. The key I received was an admin key but since you can't disable mykey from the same key (If you were able to it would be totally pointless) and I only had 1 key, I was shit out of luck until I figured this out. This is literally what dealerships do when you go to them with this problem. I looked over a bunch of forums, viewed a lot of videos, and none of them were helpful at all. From what I could tell, this is the ONLY way of doing it yourself.

-ADAN

jbartolo77
Vehicle: 2004 ford explorer eddie bauer

Re: DISABLING MYKEY (EASIEST WAY 15 MIN) *JULY 2019

Post by jbartolo77 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi there, any chance you could update those links you mention on the article? Seems all links are broken and I really want to try and do as you have outlined due to an issue I am experiencing with my vehicle. Thsi is what I am dealing with and someone directed me to your article - https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld ... 50767.html

Thanks in advance. Just wanting to get the exact same tools you mentioned below so I can give this a try myself.

sanchezadann
Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 3.7L V6 Flexfuel

Post by sanchezadann » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:59 pm

jbartolo77 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm
Hi there, any chance you could update those links you mention on the article? Seems all links are broken and I really want to try and do as you have outlined due to an issue I am experiencing with my vehicle. Thsi is what I am dealing with and someone directed me to your article - https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld ... 50767.html

Thanks in advance. Just wanting to get the exact same tools you mentioned below so I can give this a try myself.

Blank key
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XS36B ... asin_title

Obd2
https://www.amazon.com/Kitbest-Bluetoot ... bd&sr=8-11

Clyde
Vehicle: Ford F150 4x4 xlt 3.7L 6 cyl 2014

Post by Clyde » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm

sanchezadann wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 am
I'm sure it's the same with other Ford vehicles. This is LITERALLY what dealerships or other companies would do to remove mykey. They would make you buy a blank key, cut it, program it, and remove mykey with the new key from the settings. You don't need an "admin" key. All you need to do is program a new key and use that key to clear all mykeys

-Volume is limited to 14

I wasn't able to find any bit of information on how to properly disable mykey so I decided to write this post for anyone in need that is having the same issue I was having. It sucked. You DON"T have to pay out HUNDREDS of dollars to Ford dealership or other companies. This took me literally 15 min (including the 10 min security clearance wait time which you'll read about more down the post).
It's really simple to remove.
-ADAN
WOW, I am so glad I saw this!
I didnt quote the your entire post to keep the length down, but wow, your instructions sound like they will work equally as well for me if all I want to do is add additional keys to my truck as I have only 1 key and my fob only works to lock, not unlock my truck. Hopefully I'm correct in thinking this?

While I do not have to remove my key, I have same vehicle, 2014 f150 xlt 4x4 but lost 1 of my 2 original keys, then recently the button on my 1 remaining key fob that unlocks doors quit functioning.
After finding out how much I was going to be taken for I researched and found this program and got all I need to use it, cables etc, I ordered 2 OEM keys guaranteed to work, online, and am really not wanting to risk having to delete all my programmed keys in my trucks system.
Forscan tells me there are 2 keys programmed into my truck currently.
I am going to get my 2 keys cut, but 1 today at bimart because the locksmith I was going to use is closed today so I'll have him cut my other key tomorrow. He had commented on 1 regular nonfunctioning key ace hardware cut for me (I was experimenting, it failed lol) was cut too deep so I'm not letting bimart cut but 1 because I want to get on with it.
But by following your fantastically detailed instructions and using the "add key" option it looks like this will program my key fob exactly like I hoped to do, with out running the risk of having to delete all keys from my trucks PATS system and risking finding myself with a 3000 pound flower pot in my driveway!
It seems logical to assume that since this procedure you describe for removing a "mykey" from the system it will work just as well to program 1 or 2 additional keys for my truck now that I have them, forscan and the right cable to connect to my truck with.
I am going to verify my keys are good 1st following the instructions i found for making sure my keys will function correctly with the PATS module before i a totally program. I've already hooked up my laptop and backed up my trucks profile, so your instructions make me feel confident that I will be able to program additional keys for my truck now, without risking erasing any keys already known to my truck, unless I have missed something??

I hope not. Thank you very much for taking the time to post such highly detailed steps! This I hope is all i need to know now....I've spent hours learning all i can about doing this.
If I'm mistaken i guess i will soon find out. Sorry for typing such a long comment/question! But thanks!!!

Clyde
Vehicle: Ford F150 4x4 xlt 3.7L 6 cyl 2014

Post by Clyde » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 pm

sanchezadann wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 am

-Volume is limited to 14
-ADAN
Hi sanchezadann,

This is a follow up reply to let you know how much I appreciate that you took the time to write such a finely detailed "How to" article about removing MyKey from a 2014 F150 3.7L 6 cyl 4x4 !

In my case, I did not need to remove the MyKey feature from my truck, i only had 1 original key remaining and the unlock button on that key stopped working a couple of weeks ago so i needed to program a new key for my truck.

Your perfect instructions allowed me to add a new key to the PATS memory on my 2014 f150 with no problem at all once I got a key with good transmitter, your instructions were perfect and matched exactly what Forscan was telling me to do.

The only issue I had was that I had ordered 2 keys guaranteed to be factory OEM keys, and the 1st key I had cut at bimart for free, it was a Sunday and I didnt want to wait for the locksmith I go to to open on Monday but I saved the 2nd key for him to cut, which h turned out to be a good thing because my 1st key failed to program because PATS could not detect a key.

So Monday I took both new keys to the locksmith and he put the key that failed into an electronic device he has that detects if the key has a working transmitter in it, and sure enough the 1st key did not detect a transmitter.

The 2nd key did, so he cut that key for me and when I got home with it, Forscan had it programmed very quickly once PATS ran through its 10 security function, it was a simple matter thanks to your instructions so thank you very much!

All buttons work as they are supposed to and it starts my truck so now I have 2 working keys.

I'll get my $39 refunded for the bad key then use the link to the key on amazon that you provided to buy another key for half the price of the bad key.

I did not need to mess with any MyKey functions as all I needed was to add a new key and that worked flawlessly!

If anyone else trysts programming your key and it fails to program because it does not detect the key, you can probably find a locksmith that can test it for free just by putting it into his electronic key transmitter detector and let you know if the key is Good or bad, my blank keys would not turn so I could not perform the test given elsewhere in the forums.
He even had replacement transmitters that if I needed he could replace the bad one in my other key but since it was new opted out of that option.
I only mention these things in case it might help someone else who is new to this process and software because you dont want to be taken to the cleaners over a vehicle key.

Thank you very much sanchezadann dof your article!
Thanks to all of you great forum members who go out of your way to help noobs like me! And thank you FORScan for providing such great software to make this all possible for the average person to do!