Using Forscan to Program Spare Key for 2008 Ford Focus

Any issues related to FORScan application
baileyhood
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Focus

Using Forscan to Program Spare Key for 2008 Ford Focus

Post by baileyhood » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I did a lot of reading on the internet and ended up landing on Forscan. I am wanting to know if I will be able to program a spare key for my 2008 Ford Focus with Forscan and an ELM327. I read in several places that it could be done so I ordered an ELM327. It's not in yet, but should be in the next couple of days. Before it gets here and I attempt to program the spare key, I just wanted to ask everyone on here to make sure that it can for sure be done. Also, I wanted to make sure that the ELM327 that I purchased is going to be okay for this task. If you all don't mind, I would really appreciate it if you can confirm that I can program a spare key for my 2008 Ford Focus with Forscan. And I'd like to confirm that the ELM327 that I purchased is going to work okay for this. The link to the ELM327 that I got is below. I have already got a Forscan extended license (I read I needed one). Also, if you all have any tips/tricks to make this as easy as possible for me, I would greatly appreciate your help! Thank you all!

Link to ELM327 - https://ebay.us/stVp8q

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: Using Forscan to Program Spare Key for 2008 Ford Focus

Post by denbo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:50 pm

You are jumping into the deep end here. The elm you ordered might be good, might not. Is your laptop up to the job? People have had lots of problems with win10. You can check the new key can be programmed with forscan before you start. You should start reading all the stickies so you understand whats at stake. Hit the "board index" button top left. Make sure you have battery support or a charger connected and laptop fully charged. Fingers crossed,say a prayer and go for it. Good luck

baileyhood
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Focus

Post by baileyhood » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Well, I'm somewhat of a computer supernerd, an information systems major. So if it can be done, I am confident I can do it. I have several high-end laptops. One runs Windows 7 and one runs Windows 10. I also read that people have problems with Windows 10, so I'll use the 7 one. I know all about making sure I have the correct drivers and such. As far as the adapter goes, it has very good reviews (mostly 4 and 5 star), so I am pretty sure I got a good one. It supports MS-CAN and HS-CAN. As for checking the key, I've looked and don't see anywhere to check a key? As for what's at stake, what is at stake? If my key program fails, is it going to mess something up that I can't fix with proper procedure? Also, the Forscan documentation says that it will automatically calculate my In/Out codes, but if it doesn't I have found several places online that will calculate it. I have read many posts, watched videos of people using Forscan to program a key, and I've read a lot of different stuff that makes this sound really easy. I just want to make sure that I am covering everything before I attempt it and I'm not missing anything. Thanks for your help.

Don Ridley
Vehicle: 2016 Transit Connect

Post by Don Ridley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 pm

I would not trust a $12 ELM for this task. We all want to save money. But if your key programming goes wrong, you may not be able to start the car. How much will it cost to tow the car to a dealership and have them fix this?

We all assume some risk when using free software like Forscan. Do yourself a favor and purchase a high quality ELM like OBDlink MX. There is a reason this is recommended by Forscan.