New igntion switch, no key - sucesfully programed new keys on 2012 focus

Any issues related to FORScan application
sebastian323
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Fusion AWD 3.0L V6 SEL

New igntion switch, no key - sucesfully programed new keys on 2012 focus

Post by sebastian323 »

Lets say I have a car in which I have replaced the ignition switch, and do not have any key. This is a 2012 USDM Focus. Can I get a chip key cut to match the new ignition and then program with forscan ? Do I need to simply be able to open the ignition to enter forscan, or do I need to have a key that has already been programmed? I imagine the ignition switch is simply a switch and not paired to ECU?

EDIT: I succesfully programmed the two keys for a new ignition switch using the erase all keys option. I had one used and one new key. I used the timed acess (no need for the code generator). It took 12 minutes wait time and I got into the PATS system.
Last edited by sebastian323 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: New igntion switch, no key - can a new key be programed

Post by tractmec »

sebastian323 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:54 pm
Lets say I have a car in which I have replaced the ignition switch, and do not have any key. This is a 2012 USDM Focus. Can I get a chip key cut to match the new ignition and then program with forscan ? Do I need to simply be able to open the ignition to enter forscan, or do I need to have a key that has already been programmed? I imagine the ignition switch is simply a switch and not paired to ECU?
IF you replaced just the Lock cylinder and not the Pats Transceiver or any other module involved in PATS control, yes and if you can get someone say a Locksmith to match a key to the lock!
The ignition switch is separate from the lock cylinder and has nothing to do with PATS other than turning the system on! A key cut to mechanically fit the replacement lock will be needed in order to turn on the system and start PATS Programming! It does not need to be a Programmed key to erase and reprogram keys. It just needs to be able to turn the Lock and the switch to the RUN Position!

Keys can be programmed by FORScan in N/A vehicles up to 2014-2015(After this date PATS is NASTF Licensed Dealer or Locksmith Only).
You will need two PATS keys cut as likely you will need to erase any that are already in memory as they do not fit the replacement lock cylinder mechanically (There are ways around this if valid keys are in hand and are stored in the PATS memory but the above would be the correct way given no keys at all)!

Then program in the two you have had cut for the the replacement ignition lock As Per here:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839! (The Focus line is likely to be "Out Code to In Code rather than Timed) May also need to do this process described here as the Focus being Central Configuration may have several modules involved in PATS control: viewtopic.php?p=4962#p4962! There will be an entry in The PATS menu if initialization is needed after programming!
Do not PM me unless I expressly ask you to for a consultation!! I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
sebastian323

Post by sebastian323 »

Thanks! Am I able to buy a used ignition switch with a matching key and reprogram the used key to my car ?

also what is the difference between "conventional ignition" and "electric switch only?" I keep seeing these options when they are selling used ignitions on ebay
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

sebastian323 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:29 am
Thanks! Am I able to buy a used ignition switch with a matching key and reprogram the used key to my car ?

also what is the difference between "conventional ignition" and "electric switch only?" I keep seeing these options when they are selling used ignitions on ebay
I suppose I should have asked first, the reason for this ignition lock change? Is this a change because all Programmed keys have been lost?

If all keys have been lost, replacing the lock cylinder is difficult to do without a key that fits and turns the lock cylinder to the removal slot position or without damaging the ignition lock housing and possibly rendering it useless(forcing the cylinder usually breaks the housing)!

Buying Just the lock cylinder separately used might be the harder part to find as the used vendors usually prefer to sell the complete steering column assembly rather than just the lock cylinder(Finding one with the keys that fit is sometimes harder too)!

Used keys can be programmed with FORScan on vehicles before 2015 but you will have to use the PATS Erase process(to erase the keys in memory that were lost) and reprogram the replacement keys to reinstall at least two keys(new or used)! There must be two separate keys in PATS memory before the starter will be allowed to operate!

Keys cannot be added to Pats memory without Known keys that start the vehicle in the ignition lock to start the add spare key feature of PATS!

The "electrical switch only" means all they are selling is the electrical part of the ignition assembly without the lock cylinder(not what you need if you are looking for a lock cylinder)!

Conventional Ignition is a mechanical cut Key type(what you are working on) versus the Keyless push button start type of ignition!

Ford sells the complete ignition switch Module housing assembly kit as Part number 8E5Z-3511-A (to replace lost keys)(confirm this number at a dealer of your choice Please) consisting of the Electrical switch, the Lock cylinder Housing, The lock cylinder with two cut keys(May Have to buy that separately as SW-6285) and two special shear bolts(theft prevention)!

Those two Part Number may also help in your search for a used Ignition assembly!

Don't know if this helps?
Do not PM me unless I expressly ask you to for a consultation!! I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
sebastian323

Post by sebastian323 »

Thanks a lot for the information - this helps. I have ordered this item - "Ford Focus Key Start Ignition Switch Matching Door Lock and Key " .

I purchased the vehicle used with all keys lost. The locksmith also mentioned that it is difficult to get the old mechanical cylinder out without a key.

This comes with a used key and the full ignition assembly -- the mechanical and electrical part. I also bought an extra blank key that I can have cut.

Will I be able to program in either the used key or the new blank key if these will mechanically turn the new ignition?

Keys cannot be added to Pats memory without Known keys
Will the used key that comes with the used igntion be considered a known key ? I have zero access to any original keys for this vehicle
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

sebastian323 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 pm
Thanks a lot for the information - this helps. I have ordered this item - "Ford Focus Key Start Ignition Switch Matching Door Lock and Key " .

I purchased the vehicle used with all keys lost. The locksmith also mentioned that it is difficult to get the old mechanical cylinder out without a key.

This comes with a used key and the full ignition assembly -- the mechanical and electrical part. I also bought an extra blank key that I can have cut.

Will I be able to program in either the used key or the new blank key if these will mechanically turn the new ignition?

Keys cannot be added to Pats memory without Known keys
Will the used key that comes with the used igntion be considered a known key ? I have zero access to any original keys for this vehicle
Sorry Been Away! I made a mistake in the Part number I posted last time as I was looking at the ignition switch module and Part number for a Fusion instead of a Focus so I hope it did not cause any problems!

In all instances like this where all keys have been lost you must erase all keys in memory first with the Pats "Erase all keys" program and then use the "Program Keys" section in the PATS menu to install at least two keys(there must be two separate key transponder signatures in memory before the engine is allowed to start)!

The key that came with the used ignition Module and the one you purchased and get cut the same as the key that came with the lock assembly should be fine as the the two keys you will need!
You can also add more than two keys(up to 4 or 8 depending on the PATS Maximum Key setting) using the Program Keys function as long as the security access is not lost or times out during the programming!

The "Keys cannot be added" quote above refers to using the "Add spare Key" feature in FORScan! Keys can only be added to PATS memory with this feature if you have Two working keys in hand(and the maximum number of programmed keys has not been reached) to start the "Add Spare Key" process and the "Spare key add" feature must appear as an option in the PATS menu list!

If Spare Key ADD does not appear as a PATS option then you must add a third and Fourth key as part of the installing a new pair of keys during the PATS key programming process(as you will be doing in this instance)! Some vehicles do not have the the "Spare Key add" Feature in the PATS menu and erasing all keys and reprogramming two and/or more keys is the only way to add more keys to memory! I am not sure if your Focus is one of those!

Hope this clears up the confusion?
sebastian323

Post by sebastian323 »

No worries about the part number, I have purchased and installed the correct part. I bought a matching door lock , key and ignition from ebay for $60.

I suppose I will need "erase all keys" and "program keys option" as I have no programmed keys on hand. I guess "add spare keys" only works when you have a programmed key on hand. I will go to the locksmith tomorrow to have another key cut to match the used one that came with my ignition. I imagine the key itself is never programmed, only the ECU is programmed to accept a certain key, thereby a used key poses no issue.

Thanks a lot for the information

EDIT: I succesfully programmed the two keys in using the erase all keys option. I used the timed acess (no need for the code generator). It took 12 minutes wait time and I got into the PATS system.