Can't find Data Logger

Any issues related to FORScan application
jmillerx
Vehicle: Explorer 4.0 2002

Can't find Data Logger

Post by jmillerx »

Hello,

I am using Forscan version 2.3.40 beta and do not see the Data Logger. I am connecting with a OBDLinkEX. The connection is good, shows green on the adapter and the software shows my VIN.

I am trying to troubleshoot car alarm going off, and following advice from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxowpSibGQg.

However, I do not see where to select Data Logger.

Thanks for your help!
John
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expe5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: Can't find Data Logger

Post by tractmec »

jmillerx wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Hello,

I am using Forscan version 2.3.40 beta and do not see the Data Logger. I am connecting with a OBDLinkEX. The connection is good, shows green on the adapter and the software shows my VIN.

I am trying to troubleshoot car alarm going off, and following advice from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxowpSibGQg.

However, I do not see where to select Data Logger.

Thanks for your help!
John
It is called "Read PID's" in Forscan which is the same function as IDS's "Data Logger". You can choose to read PID's in one of three ways. Choose one of the three tabs and load PID's under the "Tests" Tab when you open the Icon that looks like an oscilloscope screen next below the DTC Icon.

Read these two Topics to get an idea of how it is done viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3334. You can choose individual Module PID's to load instead of loading them all by clicking the "drop down button" next to the "All" window.
Read this one viewtopic.php?p=2691#p2691 to find out how to load some modules that have PID's that can be controlled by Forscan.
jmillerx

Post by jmillerx »

Thank you tractmec.

Unfortunately, I do not see any PIDs for "lock", "door" or "ajar".

Does that mean Forscan no longer provides that information?

Thanks,
John
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

jmillerx wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:49 pm
Thank you tractmec.

Unfortunately, I do not see any PIDs for "lock", "door" or "ajar".

Does that mean Forscan no longer provides that information?

Thanks,
John
Post a screen of your Modules list tab content under the Car Icon.

These PID's could be in the CTM or Central Timer Module or RAP Remote Anti Theft Module/Personality module or in the GEM Generic Electronic Module or Central Security Module depending on trim level.

You may have a CSM or VSM or a Vehicle Security Module which on some models is on a UBP network and unavailable to a ELM 327 based adapters. Forscan can read it and control PID's on it but only through A Ford VCM2 adapter.

Check your DLC connector for a socket in hole number 3 as the VSM which contains the remote entry and door ajar switch monitoring is connected to DLC pin three. Should show about 3 to 5 volts to ground on a volt meter if connected to any modules. If so then you are likely to have a VSM and that is why you are not seeing those PID's. See this link for a DLC image https://forscan.org/images/howto3/Ford_OBD2.png. There will be no socket in hole number 11!

The Door ajar switches report through to the IPCI/instrument Panel Cluster or it could be called an HEC/Hybrid Electronic Cluster in your case and there should be PID's in the IPC/HEC to monitor all the door ajar's function warning light and chime and the display and should show open or closed along with door positions and one will not change if one of the Door ajar switches is stuck in the open door position. This a common problem with these switches.

I found a stuck door ajar switch in the Left rear door on the 03 Expedition(Door ajar would not go off and the Interior lighting would stay on all the time) this way before Forscan got support for the UBP network going in Version 2.3.09.

Don't know if that will help?
Last edited by tractmec on Wed May 05, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmillerx

Post by jmillerx »

Thanks again Tractmec.

Here are the modules:
Modules.png
Modules.png (55.09 KiB) Viewed 557 times
When I was searching for PIDs, I did have Modules set to ALL.

Hole #3 on the DLC connector shows 11 volts.

Here are the IC_PIDS:
IC_PIDS.png
IC_PIDS.png (41.9 KiB) Viewed 557 times
And the RCM_PIDS:
RCM_PIDS.png
RCM_PIDS.png (43.71 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Thanks again for the help.
John
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

jmillerx wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 pm
Thanks again Tractmec.

Here are the modules:
Modules.png

When I was searching for PIDs, I did have Modules set to ALL.

Hole #3 on the DLC connector shows 11 volts.

Here are the IC_PIDS:
IC_PIDS.png

And the RCM_PIDS:
RCM_PIDS.png

Thanks again for the help.
John
Looks the same as my 03 Expedition before I got my VCM2 and actually you are right: I just checked my Expy and pin socket 3 does show 11 Volts!
The Expy had a PID in the IC for the door ajar light but I do not see that one in your IC PID list.

With the presence of a pin three and It's showing voltage then I suspect you have A UBP network and all the Security Modules will be on there. The Remote Keyless entry, door ajar switches and proximity Alarm If equipped will be there too.
This could also contain The 4X4 control module, Drivers seat if you have memory seats and mirrors and Climate controlled seats if this Explorer has them.

To read UBP is unfortunately Ford VCM2 Or good quality VCM2 clone adapter only.

Sorry!
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: A6 2.8L Quattro,Volvo Bertone, Tiguan TFSI

Post by Ecmbuster »

Post the complete VIN and will get you a factory schematic but a model will help.

The best option to read the network is with an oscilloscope.
The digital meter may read and also depends on "who's on the network at that time, including a scan tool.

There should have been faults recorded (or an anomaly), post them as well.
Attachments
Explorer.JPG
Explorer.JPG (29.14 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
jmillerx

Post by jmillerx »

Thanks for helping tractmec! You got me further than I could get on my own, and then your experienced view confirmed my new-guy view. :) - Thanks!

Thanks for offering to help Ecmbuster. Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope and I do not plan on buying one. This is a 19 year old Explorer that my first child is ready to hand down to my second child. :lol:

The car doesn't show any DTC's (if that is the same as a fault?) after the alarm goes off.

Thanks again,
John
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

jmillerx wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 pm
Thanks for helping tractmec! You got me further than I could get on my own, and then your experienced view confirmed my new-guy view. :) - Thanks!

Thanks for offering to help Ecmbuster. Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope and I do not plan on buying one. This is a 19 year old Explorer that my first child is ready to hand down to my second child. :lol:

The car doesn't show any DTC's (if that is the same as a fault?) after the alarm goes off.

Thanks again,
John
Glad I could be of a little help!

DTC's(Diagnostic Trouble Code) are set in the module that the Trouble occurs in, if it is trouble, and in your case your adapter can't read the network it is probably occurring on, so you won't see them unless it is something that the VSM/CSM reports to the IPC display during operation(Door ajar does this but the courtesy lights would also be on continuously if a door switch was stuck)!

Unfortunately the UBP (Universal asynchronous receiver-transmitter Based Protocol) networks will not read with Any ELM327 or FTDI based adapters and very few J2534 Pass-thru adapters(of which The VCM2 is one) and none cheap enough for us occasional users, except some VCM2 Chinese Clones that are becoming very suspect.

Since only Ford ever used it and only for about 5-7 Model years and only on some Model lines, no J2534 developers were interested in writing code supporting it I suspect!

Forscan tried on ELM327 adapters with a modified K-line protocol,(a similar type of single wire asynchronous network protocol),(GM and several others use it or have used it) utilising the MScan switch on adapters,(I have an old OBDlink switched ELMScan5 I tested it with) for the better part of a year and never got it to work. Forscan even had a code that was asking to switch the to UBP network during connection similar to MSCAN if it suspected modules on pin 3 but there was never any reading coming from it so the code was removed in about the 2.3.20 Development branch.

I and Forscan used my 2 vehicles as the lab rats During Testing of UBP Support and the only thing that test versions of 2.3.09 with UBP support would read successfully with was The Ford VCM2 and the VCM2 Clone that I have(Unavailable for the last two years or more) and the support has been in the code ever since!

Just a little Background Info!